Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 4:51 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 21st Oct 2014 at 1:28 AM. Reason: Yay categories!
Default Sharing sims without the Gallery: how to
This is fairly obvious info, but I haven't seen anything posted on it. Just tested the idea with Granthes and it works fine for the demo at least.

If you want to bypass the Gallery to share a household, it's just a matter of saving it to your library. Then look in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Tray and sort by date. You'll find at least five files in there with the same timestamp, like this (a one-sim household):

Send those to the recipient, and if they place them in THEIR tray folder, they'll find your sim in their library, perfectly intact. (Or as intact as a Sim gets )

Grant's looking into what exactly is in those files, but in the meantime (until MTS's TS4 section goes up ), you can presumably use this method to share sims from your Simblr or whatever you have.

Has the advantage that you can link any CC the sim uses in the same place. Sim sharing via gallery currently strips CC; we have not tested that this is still true when sims are shared by this method... but I expect it is. Be interested to hear what experiences others have attempting this though.

Note that this sim, screenshotted in my library, is marked as created by granthes, but it is not enabled for commenting because it has not been "shared" (in the official sense)

Edit: Just found out that PlatinumSimmers had a tut on this a month ago Credit to them! https://www.platinumsimmers.com/art...m-the-cas-demo/
4 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
just a girl
#2 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 3:56 PM
Thanks for the tips! I checked if CC saves in those files. Tried non-default dress, and it didn't come with sim, the sim appeared in PJs. Also I tested, that you can put sim-files in Tray folder even when the demo is launched, and sims appear in the library, no need to quit the game for it.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
sims appear in the library, no need to quit the game for it.

Thanks for that info – sounds like a pretty big step forward! I wouldn't even have trought of trying this ..

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 12:19 AM
Thank you for posting this information! I was looking at the files yesterday, and wondering which went to what household. I didn't even think of arranging them by timestamp... made too much sense, I guess!
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Thanks for that info – sounds like a pretty big step forward! I wouldn't even have trought of trying this ..

Hah, me neither, but it makes sense when you think about it, just like the in-game Gallery.
just a girl
#6 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 2:29 PM
It appears that number of ".sgi" files depends on number of sims in a family. For example, family with 4 sims has 4 ".sgi" files.

Edit: tested once, so might not be the case everytime and in every circumstances.
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 7:24 AM
Any idea on how to change the creator name of an individual sim? I made one or two of my sims on a new Origin account I had made, because I didn't want TS4 to be linked to my main account, but now I do, and it feels weird having those personal simmies not be under my name.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DiAnkhiar
Any idea on how to change the creator name of an individual sim? I made one or two of my sims on a new Origin account I had made, because I didn't want TS4 to be linked to my main account, but now I do, and it feels weird having those personal simmies not be under my name.

That's an interesting question. EA put the name in there in an attempt to prevent theft without credit of other people's work... so if somebody figures it out and posts the solution, it will certainly be abused.

However, I'm sure there IS a solution... there's not much that can't be changed if you're good with a hex editor Don't know what it is though!
Instructor
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 4:48 AM
Yeah, people will definitely abuse of such a feature, but sometimes it's also kind of necessary. I remember in TS3 I downloaded a Kristen Stewart sim I think it was, and after a while of tweaking and changing, I ended up with something completely different (in fact, I think I ended up with a new version of my OC at the time, which is nothing like Kristen Stewart). It's also something I tend to do a lot, since I download other people's creations not only so my game can have more diversity, but also to use their creations as a base. And then sometimes I even forget I'm working on a downloaded sim. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. If it would have been TS4, the name of the original creator on that sim would have been obsolete. And I mean, are people really gonna copyright their sims now? That's a whole different level of ridiculous, in my opinion. I love my original character, which I also use as a sim a lot and I'm completely attached to her, but I'm not bothered by the fact that other people can make a similar-looking sim. They're just sims, I mean, everyone has the tools. It's not as if you built everything yourself.
just a girl
#10 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 7:15 AM
DiAnkhiar, well, if you think they're just sims and it's ridiculous to be concerned about copyright, do you really need it to be -your- name in place of the original creator on that sim? I don't mean to be rude, and I've even been in a situation like this: downloaded a sim from the Gallery, forgot about it, pressed randomise button a few times, made some sim, saved it and suddenly - I'm not the only autor (: But I uploaded the sim anyway, even knowing other creator's sim didn't take any part in my creation. Now I know that I need to press "start new family", because even if you randomise new sim, the game still thinks it's not yours.
Maybe it would have been better, if we could see not only creator's name but also the looks of original sim, so that we could compare the changes. But I didn't see this feature, don't know if there is one.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 8:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DiAnkhiar
And I mean, are people really gonna copyright their sims now? That's a whole different level of ridiculous, in my opinion.

Doesn't really matter if they SHOULD care. They DO care As you'll see from reading plenty of threads from people who feel their work was stolen. We're serious about it at MTS -- if we hear of such an allegation with respect to content (including sims) uploaded here, and the original creator hasn't given permission, we investigate it.
Instructor
#12 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
DiAnkhiar, well, if you think they're just sims and it's ridiculous to be concerned about copyright, do you really need it to be -your- name in place of the original creator on that sim? I don't mean to be rude, and I've even been in a situation like this: downloaded a sim from the Gallery, forgot about it, pressed randomise button a few times, made some sim, saved it and suddenly - I'm not the only autor (: But I uploaded the sim anyway, even knowing other creator's sim didn't take any part in my creation. Now I know that I need to press "start new family", because even if you randomise new sim, the game still thinks it's not yours.
Maybe it would have been better, if we could see not only creator's name but also the looks of original sim, so that we could compare the changes. But I didn't see this feature, don't know if there is one.

Not being rude at all. I completely get what you mean. It's not about the copyright issue though. It's about the name of the original creator being completely obsolete. I just don't see the point of it. It's easy in my case because I own both accounts. But like I said, that's not the point. It's just a slight OCD thing. It just bothers me, really. I don't share my sims, but if I were to do that, I wouldn't want a random person's name listed as the creator. And not because "I made it, so your name shouldn't be on it", but only because it just feels awkward, personally. People could change the creator names of my original sims, if I were to share them, that wouldn't bother me at all. But we can't change the original creator's name. So if they were to download one of my sims, and changed it completely, then reupload it, my name would have still been in there, and that wouldn't have made me feel too good either. I don't want to be part of the things you do. If you know what I mean. It probably sounds silly, but it's just how I feel.

I just find the new system to be unnecessary and restricting. Would have been better if they just left it as it's always been, but that's just me.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#13 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 1:18 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 28th Aug 2014 at 2:32 PM.
DiAnkhiar, but Lamare just posted the workaround: "Now I know that I need to press "start new family", because even if you randomise new sim, the game still thinks it's not yours." It would be great if the name would be reset/deleted when hitting "randomise", but the fix is simple enough.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
#14 Old 28th Aug 2014 at 2:49 PM
I read what was said. I know what has to be done for sims to be made under my name, but thanks for pointing it out once again. I was just saying I sometimes start with a custom sim.
just a girl
#15 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 8:52 PM
Anyone knows yet, if there is Tray folder in full game or the way of sharing sims is different?
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:23 PM
I'm not sure I'm not a mod.. I come here to find mods to make my stories better, but yes. I see a tray folder in my documents under C:\Users\Kensi\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Tray
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:32 PM Last edited by vaskafdt : 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:42 PM.
1. create a new sim, (we will call him Sim #1)
2. enter the gallery.
3. merge your desired "stolen" sim to your household,
4. Delete Sim #1 and save household.
5. Profit!

this is a response to

Quote:
Any idea on how to change the creator name of an individual sim? I made one or two of my sims on a new Origin account I had made, because I didn't want TS4 to be linked to my main account, but now I do, and it feels weird having those personal simmies not be under my name