Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 4:54 PM
Default Questions regarding buying a gaming laptop
My laptop is quite possibly reaching its final days, so I'm in the process of researching gaming laptops.

I've found a few with Nvidia GTX 1060, 1070 and 1080, which I gather are some of the better cards nowadays. Does anyone have any experience with these ones when it comes to playing TS2/3/4?

The ones I'm considering don't have a DVD/CD player, so most likely I have to go over to the TS2 UC (I got it by code while it was available). I also have TS4 on Origin (CD versions, but they wouldn't install all the CDs properly, so I kind of "tricked" Origin into installing it by fixing the game, which worked), and I've registered my CD-versions of TS3 there, too. Would I be able to install all of them from Origin without using the CDs? I have the CD versions of TS3, but the "into the future" EP broke my game (the player made funny noises and wouldn't install the game, leading to its current brokenness). I'm considering getting an external DVD burner/player, though.

Another thing I'm curious about - is it possible to avoid logging onto Origin every time I want to play by shortcut for all three? I know it's possible for the UC, but I haven't managed to get it working for TS4, and I never ran TS3 from Origin. (I know how to make shortcuts directly from the EXE, such as for bypassing the TS2 launcher or playing windowed).

I'm also a little concerned about overheating the laptop. The ones I've had a look at were very thin (all have SSDs as the main storage for OS, so fewer moving parts - but still) but a couple had comments about getting very hot when playing games.

A couple of choices I'm considering from that site:

◾ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 card (Pascal)
◾ Microsoft Hybrid Graphics
◾ Intel® Core™ i7-8700-prosessor 3.2GHz ~ 4.6GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
◾ 8. gen. Intel chipset
◾ 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM RAM (2x8GB)
◾ 512GB PCIe SSD M.2 Samsung PM961
◾ 1TB harddrive 7200rpm
(It looks like a good choice, but what bugs me is the few USB ports. It's got 2, I usually have at least 2 plugged in at all times. I know I can get an adapter with more, so I'll probably manage).

◾ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 card
◾ Microsoft Hybrid Graphics
◾ Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ-prosessor 2.8GHz ~ 3.8GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads
◾ Intel HM175 Express chipset
◾ 16GB DDR4 2400MHz SO-DIMM RAM (2x8GB)
◾ 512GB PCIe SSD M.2
(with room for an extra harddrive, and it's got a few more USB ports)

I've also had a look at the "Acer Predator Helios 300" and "HP OMEN 17-an010"

Also, are there any other things I need to think about? It's been 6 years since I bought a laptop, so I'm a bit out of the loop.