Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 7:40 PM
Default How did you furnish the default homes?
The Sims has always been pretty hit and miss when it comes to houses, but the original Neighbourhood 1 homes had a cute look, but some very questionable floorplans. I'm playing 10 Sim Lane (the one with the riverside patio) and I am seriously confused as to what that obtusely shaped entry room is for. The two storey hose, the second biggest one in the original neighbourhood, is also very weird, what with that single large, narrow room upstairs. I'm curious as to how you guys furnished the original homes, or if anyone has ever managed to make good use of that space! I almost feel it was a challenge from the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Sep 2017 at 8:22 PM
10 Sims Lane is one of my favorite places because the very first family I played, created by my young son and failing miserably at their Sims lives, was living there when I took them over. I've played that house and that family many times over (I always copy the first two neighborhoods and label them 3, 4 and 5, 6, etc.... because I love playing them so much). So, that is a weird house. Which part was bothering you? The first time I played it, I went really elaborate over time and used Rosebud liberally. I had an invisible something stuck on a table and had to build the room around it. Eventually, I changed that entry room into a hallway with a servo closet off of it and a double staircase. To the right was a hot tub/plant room, straight through was the living area, to the left and back was the kitchen, and behind that the diningroom. I put a mudroom/planting room as a porch before it. The back patio expanded and a pool formed to the left of it and extended down to the river. The parents bedroom upstairs overlooked it with a balcony. That house had everything.

After that, I tended to play on a smaller scale and make the family earn everything without money cheats. The front room is a kitchen, but it gets expanded a little, especially to the right where a kitchen table and canning station goes. Next to that on the right is a bathroom for the boy. The living room is extended and the right side is the child's bathroom. The parents room is expanded somewhat, too. That's stage one. After that, the house is expanded to include a staircase. The kitchen moves. I still love the hot tub/plant room, so that is where the boy's room was. Dining in the parent's bedroom. Ad nauseum.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Oct 2017 at 11:42 PM
I think many of the houses in sims 1 (and also sims 2) were "challenges" from the developers. You've motivated me to get out my blank neighborhood map with all the lot numbers, and then google WiKi to recall which house is at which lot. I'd load the game but it won't Window effectively with windows 10 (It will if you don't mind playing a game that is a square half the size of your screen!).

I'm also curious, are there certain premade families you usually place in the same house each time? The Pleasants are currently in Lot 10. I know what you mean about not being sure which room (or entryway) is supposed to be what room. Since the Pleasants are 4 people, the 2 kids are using the entry room for their bedroom. The room more near the back is the kitchen.

Michael Bachelor usually gets placed in Lot 6, the tiny house. Last incarnation I had it SO beautiful and filled with custom content! Currently I'm going for a simpler toned down look. For the Goth house ( Lot 5) I always Expand the upstairs and redecorate. Last time I had a pool there with an "island" in the middle. I tried to copy the pool in lot #2, since I liked it so much. At night all the ghosts would "walk on water" .

The second largest house you were talking about (lot 3?), I haven't played it much, I'll have to try it though. How about the "Hick" place. Doesn't it just Scream "Do Something About This" !!! (I think it's lot 75 or 76). I'm unable to play it without immediately ripping out that horrible floor and replacing it with some nice "toy blue" carpet. Removing some of those yucca bushes. Sometimes I've fancied up their house pretty nice. And I give it a second floor, with outside stairway.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 12:39 PM
I love your description of the Goth house with a pool in the middle! I always expand that one, too, mostly following the given footprint and adding an additional bedroom upstairs and a "porch" off the kitchen. I like to update the floors and walls and replace some of the furniture. Of course, everything needed for magic is there.

I don't usually play the Pleasants in Sims 1 and, if I do, I don't remember where I put them since they aren't really important to me. Yes, Michael goes in house 6 to start, although sometimes I create a military Sim instead for that home called Roger Roger. I never put much into that house because it feels like a place to train Sims. I put Richie Rich in the mansion. He usually marries a starlette. My first family always goes in house 10 - always! And, yes, I've used the entry way as a bedroom before, too, as you have.

For some weird reason, I never really played the Roomies until after I had several expansions. I like them in lot 69. I usually change their heads, or I did, using Sim Metamorpher. I can't get that program to work any more.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 2:47 PM
But Chris's head was so lovely! I loved the Roomies. I liked to put them in the Tudor.

I mostly didn't use money cheats so I very seldom got people into Lot 10. The first time I did I was disappointed. I remember putting a hippy commune, and orphanage, and a family of four in there at different times. I don't remember any of the rooms being any more odd than any other rooms.

As I recall, there was an entry hall with two large rooms to the left of the front door, which I used as kitchen and dining rooms; one large room to the right, which was used as the living room, a bathroom off the hall, and upstairs were three bedrooms and a balcony. I never had the slightest hesitation in gutting and rearranging the rooms to suit me. The family of four had a girl and a boy, and they went into the rooms over the kitchen and dining room, with a shared bathroom, while the parents got the last room. I don't remember how the commune was laid out at all. The orphanage was divided upstairs into a girls' wing and a boys' wing, with the matron in a small bedroom between them. Downstairs they had the mess hall, kitchen, and combined study/entertainment area. Plus they used the pool a lot and had some play equipment.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Nov 2017 at 12:27 AM Last edited by Qahne : 1st Nov 2017 at 1:28 AM.
I used to always put Michael Bachelor in the Tudor and the Roomies in the tiny house, with the Pleasants in the two-storey one, but I never played them, just used them as family friends for career advancement. My longest playthrough of the game before I left it for TS2 and TS3 for many years was the Goths - Cassandra got sent to military school and I used it as an opportunity for them to pursue their careers without any distractions. Got sick of the ghosts so I moved them into the Newbie house, added a skill room onto the front and eventually got them wealthy enough for the big mansion. Very proud of that at the time, but I was underwhelmed by it since they had no use for most of the rooms and the garden needed so much care.

My first time playing the game, I made a Cosby Show style sitcom family and moved them into the Tudor house, and promptly realised six people wouldn't fit - I crammed beds into every room of the house (including grandma in the entryway, yup, we all did it!), and was very upset when they all died very suddenly afterwards because I underestimated how hard juggling their needs would be. I actually have fairly strong memories of that, must have been traumatic.

Generally I made my own houses, always found it more fun that way,, but since I got back into the game I've just played the Roomies (and their new cat) in the Tudor, which seems a better fit for them than the tiny house in hindsight, with the entryway used as a skilling section, not a bedroom! Currently trying to see if I can match my accomplishment of affording the mansion a second time - somewhat slow progress so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
If this succeeds, then we will have driven a stake through the metaphorical heart of pudding.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Now also on Tumblr !
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Nov 2017 at 11:55 AM
Going off topic here, Wojtek, were you the one that created those WONDERFUL fixed meshes of the ugly ea hair? I thought you said you lost interest in Sims 3?