Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 5:57 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 1st Aug 2017 at 3:23 PM.
Default Expanding the Electronica radio station - help me pick tracks!
I'm a big fan of electronic music - always have been, always will be - and as such the electronic music genre(s) in the The Sims games are always among my favourites.

But inn The Sims 3, a game with a certain emphasis on parties and going out to the clubs, I’ve always thought that there isn’t enough fitting music.
Of the 20 packs released for the game, only 3 have added music to the Electronica station. The newest is Late Night, from 2010.
In total, there’s probably little more than 20 tracks on the radio, all from a very specific time period.

So there’s definitely room for more, newer and more varied music. With some effort, it’s possible to add tracks to existing radio stations, or to create entirely new radio stations. So I intended to at least double the amount of available music. Of course, I’ll create my new station (thinking of “Club”) and release it like all my other mods.
I'm looking for distinct sounds and styles - if it's from the last 30 years and if you can dance to it, I want to hear it!

Here are a number of things I have to be mindful of:
  1. Is the track the right length (3-5 minutes)? If not, I can edit it?
  2. Are there lyrics in the track? And if so, could they be mistaken for glibberish? If there are, but they couldn’t, can I find an instrumental version?
  3. Does the track sound good in the game? Is the pacing right, would the devs perhaps have picked this track themselves?
  4. Would you hear this track in a club? And would you dance to it?
  5. Is this track available for free on YouTube or Soundcloud?
Now, I've made a start following these rules. Here's what I have:

Now perhaps you may be wondering about copyright and stuff. Here's the policy on copyright: If you can listen to it on your PC, on YouTube or on Soundcloud, you can listen to the same audio file in a video game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 7:46 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 28th Jan 2018 at 5:33 PM.
Current track list:

Jokers of The Scene - Baggy Bottom Boys (Electro House / 2009)
Duck Sauce - Barbra Streisand (Disco House / 2010)
New Order - Blue Monday (Instrumental / Hi-NRG / 1983)
LaTour - Blue (Deep House / 1991)
Edelweiss - Bring Me Edelweiss (Instrumental / Pop House / 1988)
Deadmau5 - Complications (Progressive House / 2008)
Underworld - Cups (? / 1997)
Major Lazer & DJ Snake - Lean On (Instrumental / Deep House / 2015)
Azealia Banks - Miss Amor (Instrumental / Deep House / 2015)
Transistorcake - Mr. Croissant Taker ( ? / 2012)
Daniel Avery - Naive Response (Chill House / 2013)
Cyberaktif - Nothing Stays (New Beat / 1990)
Mr. Magnetik - Remanence (Trance / 2012)
Bananarama - Venus (Instrumental / Hi-NRG / 1986)
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray (Acid House / 1988)
The Bloody Beetroots ft. Steve Aoki - W.A.R.P (EDM / 2009)

Divided into a series of time periods that I feel create a distinction between the various styles of music I'm looking for:

'80 - '87 x 2
'87 - '95 x 4
'95 - '02 x 1
'02 - '09 x 3
'09 - '13 x 5
'13 - '17 x 3

In short, respectively: 2, 4, 1, 3, 5, 3 (18 total).
Ideally, that should be something along the lines of 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 8 (33 total).

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I've seen your thread at the official forum: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...-me-pick-tracks
I've got some suggestions, but I haven't got an account at the forum, so maybe I'll include the list and links here

@Wojtek
Cool, thanks. Recommendations are always welcome, because I think this mod could be really cool if I do it right. I also made that thread here on MTS, so if you have any suggestions you can just drop them here.

Oh and by the way:
"Wojtek has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."
So I'll just respond here and hope that's okay.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 6:26 PM
I think electronica should probably be more geared towards dance/party music, so that sims will have some more appropriate songs to dance to.

Basically anything you'd hear out of stereos at a party. In fact, I'd think pulling some of TS2's songs would be great.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 3:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
I think electronica should probably be more geared towards dance/party music, so that sims will have some more appropriate songs to dance to.

Of course! The songs should be fun, they should be catchy, Sims should want to dance to them. That's the whole point here.
That's why I've included songs like Duck Sauce's Barbra Streisand and Edelweiss's Bring Me Edelweiss. They're fun songs.
And I'll see about including songs from TS2 and TS4. It would be an obvious choice to make, but I probably won't include more than one from either game.

And @Wojtek, I haven't yet listened to your recommendations (though I will once I'm done doing all the other crap I've been doing), but I do think I'll include Safe and Sound because it's already in the game, in Simlish.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 3:30 PM
So what I've done now is set up a club with a dozen or two Sims in it. I've played all the music and found that it's all at least somewhat suitable. For example:

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 5:37 PM
Just bumping this up in case anyone is curious.
Okay guys, I have two questions and maybe you can help me out with them:

1. How long would you prefer the songs to be? I cut a lot of them down, so I can make them short (2.5 - 4 minutes) or long (4.5 - 6 minutes). Right now the shortest is 2:52 and the longest is 4:54.
2. I need more songs from the following time periods: 1992-2000 and 2010-2017. I'd like to have 5 more from both periods, so please feel free to suggest some!

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 10:07 PM
Hello, I may be able to help you out. I have a bit of a passion for Trance and Dance, so I can recommend some songs from some of the later periods. Including

'87 - '95 x 4
'95 - '02 x 1
'02 - '09 x 3
'09 - '13 x 5
'13 - '17 x 3

I will also be mindful on what type of music you are looking for, so you can enjoy in the game. And as well, these tracks I heard many times and you can easily dance to. So let's start

'87 - '95
Age of Love - Jam & Spoon Remix (Progressive Trance, may need to be slightly shortened but should be one to throw in there, as it's quite important.)
The Prodigy - Outer Space (Techno, different but appropriate for the time era.
Black Box - Right On Time (Dance - Brought Dance to the mainstream market)
Snap - The Power (Dance - Another important song during this era)

'95 - '02
Faithless - Insomnia (Trance, really defined it during this era)
honourable mention Tiesto & Junkie XL - Obsession (Trance - long but an amazing build-up during the song)

'02 - '09
Andain - Beautiful Things (Tiesto Remix) (I don't know what to classify this but in my opinion, it's such an underrated song from this time era.
Armin Van Buuren feat. Jennifer Rene - Fine Without You (EDM - an amazing song from this era. One of my favourite songs from this time era.
Reflekt - Need To Feel Loved (Adam K & Soha Vocal Mix) (Light Trance - you can argue that remixes don;t count but I prefer this version over the original.)

'09 - '13
Calvin Harris - Feel So Close (Dance - an underrated song by Calvin Harris, in my opinion
Project X - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll ( A-Track Remix ) (Progressive Dance - a song would be perfect for The Sims 3, especially for those dorm parties you could have if you have University installed
Andrea Balan - Trippin (Dance - very catchy and and dance songs from Romania were really becoming a thing of this era)
Inna - Amazing (Dance - again another song from Romania but around this time, Romania were booming with there dance music, which this song showed an example of)
Bingo Players - Cry (Just a Little) (Dance - a song you can easily bop to and also is the backing track for Flo Rida's I Cry

'13 - '17
Highlight Tribe - Free Tibet (Vini Vinci Remix) (Psy Trance - First ever Psy Trance track to hit the top ten on Beatport in 2016. Also, Psy Trance is becoming a more popular genre in recent years, due to the likes of Armin Van Burren working with Vini Vici. Would have to be shortened however)
Time & Glass - Name 505 )Dance Pop - this is the rough translation into English as the song is sang in
Russian. Very Catchy and easy to bop to)
Carta - Shanghai (EDM - so underrated and I haven't really mentioned music from Asia, so it's perfect. As well, this is perfect for a nightclub.)

There is just so many of them, it was hard to choose but I hope you like my choices. These are songs in my opinion would be perfect, but again you're the creator of this mod, so you do have the final say on this. But I recommend you consider some of these songs I've just listed. Just to note, I am not a music expert but I do like listening this type of music.

Sims is a game I have cherished ever since I was young. Enjoy it, it's just a game!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Feb 2018 at 1:40 PM
Wonderful, thanks! I'm not really a trance person so it's great to have a whole list of trance records. I haven't checked them all out yet but Faithless - Insomnia is definitely going in there because that's a classic.

insert signature here