Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 6:03 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Scripts for Scriptorium
Hi. Hope everyone is well. I think it's great that I'm able to go back to the Sims. I played a lot 6 years ago and also resurrected my Sims2. I even have Gmax and was able to create a lot of custom content. But, was never able to upload anything due to having to quit for health reasons. So I quit. Now, I have a new Dell with good memory and hard drive space. The game is running great. Only thing I don't have is a graphic card, but I found a program to help resolve graphic issues with the game. The link is here: https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedi...patibility-with

I have also done most of the same you did setting up the game again. Most of my custom content from here is working. Except stairs and some recolors. I kept beating my brain trying to figure out why they won't show up. Well, I remembered why. Once I looked at the Sims2 base files after installing Scriptorium. SCRIPTS, I NEED SCRIPTS LOL. Any custom content modular stairs (new mesh) that run under Scriptorium have to have scripts to place in the folder that Scriptorium creates.

Below is the path to the folders and what is in the Scriptorium folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts\Scriptorium_ModularStairs (Open folder and this is where scripts for custom stairs should be placed) (Also, in the installation description it should be mentioned for Manual Install that the file path should lead here for users of Windows 10, and the path given in Scriptorium is not right, the Base file is not mentioned in the path).

I don't know if you know this or not, but hopefully it's helpful to the Sims 2 Community if someone is looking for help and why custom stairs won't show up.

So, question, can I get help getting scripts (I wouldn't even know how to write them, unless there a tutorial for it LOL). If I can't get them, the only choice is settling for recolors. The stairs I really want are mustluvcats Simple Build Set. But, like I said, no script, no show up.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 7:12 PM
@suzymarie64 Those stairs of musluvcatz are recolours of the stairs Numenor modded to make recolourable I think. You don't need scripts there, you need Numenor's original modded stairs. They showed up fine in my game when I tested them anyway.

So, I think I'm more or less finished and ready to put in my CC. I've been updating the list so I hope y'all find it useful. Add any more useful comments ya feel like.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 8:18 PM
@maxon Where is the original mesh? If he modded them, we still need the original mesh and the script for Scriptorium even if they are a recolor. I read through the thread regarding his stairs and the link to Holy Simoly Stairs is broken along with other people who don't see them in the game. So no original Mesh or script. I played Sims for a long time before I stopped and when people made new or recolored stairs they gave either the link to original mesh or put it in the zip file with permission, and they gave a script file to place them in Scriptorium. Out of all the custom content in the game, one thing I know for sure is stairs are the trickiest to add in. Do you have these stairs in your game? If so, what file are you using for mesh?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
@maxon Where is the original mesh? If he modded them, we still need the original mesh and the script for Scriptorium even if they are a recolor. I read through the thread regarding his stairs and the link to Holy Simoly Stairs is broken along with other people who don't see them in the game. So no original Mesh or script. I played Sims for a long time before I stopped and when people made new or recolored stairs they gave either the link to original mesh or put it in the zip file with permission, and they gave a script file to place them in Scriptorium. Out of all the custom content in the game, one thing I know for sure is stairs are the trickiest to add in. Do you have these stairs in your game? If so, what file are you using for mesh?

@suzymarie64 - there's a link on MLC's upload page to the original. As I understand it you don't need a script for those stairs as Numenor's version is a modification of the original stairs not a new version.

The information is included under the Catalog Location and Price subheading - that could have been made clearer I think:
Stair recolors - Build>Modular Stairs under Numenor's recolorable wood stairs

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 8:35 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=461641 Do you mean these? because these work fine in my game?

Also, Numenor modded the Holy Smoke stairs, not the Holy Simoly stairs. those are base game ones, and his is an override, a default in other words, so doesn't need a scriptorium. All it does, is make the in game ones recolorable. it uses the game's mesh.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 8:55 PM
@maxon Refer to this thread from 2007, this is where I found my solution to them showing up in the game. She explains the problem with new mesh stairs if you don't have a script and gives directions on how to place the script file.
http://modthesims.info/t/533658

By eliset "You have to do three things to get modular stairs to appear. When you download modular stairs, they should come with two files: a package file and a txt file. This is what you do.

1. Put the package file in your Downloads folder.

2. Install Scriptorium

3. Go to your Downloads folder. See the shortcuts for Scriptorium. Get the txt file (wherever you put it when you downloaded and unzipped the stairs). Drag the txt file into the Scriptorium shortcut for modular stairs. Scriptorium modifies the game script files for you. You have to put the new text in there though for it to add to the game script files. It sounds like you did steps one and two but not three.

If you don't do all of these things, the stairs won't show up. Number three is usually the most confusing. I manually added the txt files for years because I didn't understand how to do it. If you've done all three things and the stairs don't show up, it's still probably because the txt file hasn't been added or it's in the wrong place, but I'm afraid I'm out of ideas how to help with that with UC."

@gdayars I will try these. Thank you.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:06 PM
But the point is they're not standalone modular stairs - Numenor's stairs are a default of the originals and thus don't need a script. It says so right there on Numenor's thread:

FAQ: Why there is no text file to install with these stairs, like all the other custom modular stairs?
That's because these stairs are intended to override the Maxis originals, and therefore uses the same Maxis text file already installed with the game.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=53159 The MLC stairs you mentioned are recolours of these stairs. It's these you need to get MLC's versions to show up in game.

Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:15 PM
This is frustrating, but I'm not getting any of the stairs or recolors. Are you using Scriptorium and do these stairs show up in your game? I just tried it no go. Yes I have those installed too.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:16 PM
Did you put Numenor's stairs in your game?

Did you also put MLC's stair recolours in your game?

Did you try placing a stair (the wooden stair - there is no new stair in there - it's a default, a replacement, not a new stair) and using the swatch tool to access the recolours?

Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:17 PM
Yes, I installed them all. But no, didn't try the swatch. I'll try now.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:24 PM
OK, it works, BUT, it won't let me recolor the third stair up.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:57 PM
Sometimes they are hard to get, make sure you go right down to the ground level. The swatch is the only way of recolouring in game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#13 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 11:15 PM