Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2016 at 7:47 PM
Default First attempts in S3
I went floor & wallpaper crazy in S2 but there was SO MUCH out there that I never really needed to expand my modding but understood the general concepts for the most part. My hubby bought me all the S3 available on Steam during the summer sale so I've been trying to learn to navigate the very different game play.

Anyway, to the point. I love the new Voltron. I want to make them all in game and have been hunting for CC that will work. In some cases, I've found things that almost work but I really need to modify.

The first thing I was trying to do was edit this custom hair I found that's the closest to Shiro:
http://www.thesimsresource.com/down...r01/id/1223048/
(Shiro is in the middle if you don't know what he looks like http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploa...ltron-Force.jpg )

I planned to try to just edit the alpha to shorten the front a bit and then see how to go about changing the white shaved part to same as base and then add in another color channel to create the white forelock part. I downloaded the needed stuff last night (Workshop, etc) but I'm already running into problem #1: When I go to clone an item to modify it, I notice that like half the stuff in game doesn't seem to load up even as an option. I don't know if this is because my game is Steam based and not Origin or disk? Also, if you have some CC installed, is that supposed to show up as an option to clone/edit as well? I can choose that nightcrawler hair in game but it also doesn't show up in the Workshop.

(If the answer is that I can't do it with Steam and need to register/redownload from Origin then I'm going to just give up and go back to playing S2 for anything custom)

Completer sets help me feel complete!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 1:02 AM
Assuming you mean TSR Workshop when you say "Workshop", it doesn't load any content from the Sims 3 Store. For editing a given CC, the .package or .sims3pack needs to be imported specifically in TSRW.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 7:44 PM
Yes, sorry, I meant TSR Workshop. Is there a better tool I can use to extract the files into layers so I can play with them in Photoshop?
Can you point me to directions on how to import a specific .package into TSRW?

Completer sets help me feel complete!
Instructor
#4 Old 26th Jul 2016 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KSTrillian
Is there a better tool I can use to extract the files into layers so I can play with them in Photoshop?

If all you need to do is extract the textures and edit them in Photoshop, open the .package in S3PE, select the relevant _IMG resources, right-click, export -> to file. Fast and easy.

Quote: Originally posted by KSTrillian
Can you point me to directions on how to import a specific .package into TSRW?

Create New Project -> New import
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 27th Jul 2016 at 11:53 AM
If you don't want to use TSRW/doesn't like TSRW you can always try using S3OC. The cloning part is pretty much the same with TSRW, although TSRW is a bit limited when it comes to some content (Like sponge-like object. Like the knife sims use to cut when making food, spatula, etc.) TSRW will have any other categorised stuff though (Like chairs, tables, Decor, etc)