Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 10:21 AM Last edited by Lady Aran : 6th Sep 2016 at 10:40 AM.
Default Creating Hair with Hats (And Other Questions)
I'm in the middle of a conversion project at the moment, but am unsure of how to go forward. I'm trying to make a hair with a hat (like the base game military officer hat). I've useds HP's still-wonderful Hair Basics tutorial to creating some hairs in the past, but this is the first time I've tried to create a hat with hair. Making things more complicated is the fact that all hat hairs have two groups, 0 and 1 (according to TSWR, anyway) and everytime I try adding the bones to my project in MeshToolkit, I always get an error saying "object reference not set to an instance of an object" and then the program closes. So I guess what I'm asking is, what's the secret to making hair with hats? And how to do I handle the group_0 and group_1 issue?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 12:38 PM
Seems to me that you know what you're doing!

But I would check if you did this:

In milkshape call both groups 'group_base'. Delete one of them and export the one left and call this one 'group_0' (the file not the group name within Milkshape). then, revert it so you got 2 again, and do the same with the group you just deleted.

So make sure both group_1 and group_0 are called 'group_base.' if you would import them back into Milkshape, because TSRW won't understand 'group_0 and group_1' because to TSRW it's not a valid name for a morph. That's why ^-^

(I hope this wasn't too confusing >-<)

Also! If you got an error in TSRW, tick the box within the error and click 'no' so it won't close on you. It's a lifesaver!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Sep 2016 at 11:50 PM Last edited by Lady Aran : 5th Sep 2016 at 2:48 AM.
Aha! So THAT'S what I was missing! Thank you very much Greenplumbob

If I have anymore issues, I'll be sure to post them, but fingers crossed that doesn't happen, lol.

ETA: OK, I followed your directions and got some good news and some bad news. The good news is, after doing like you said, I didn't get the error pop up message in Mesh Toolkit when trying to add the bones. The bad news is, now I get a popup in TSRW when trying to import the group_0 mesh into the "group_0" box saying there are the wrong number of groups; it expected 2 but only found 1 and the import fails. One thing I'm urious about is when I view the reference military officer hat in milkshape using only group_0, I end up with both group_0 (the actual hat) AND group_1 (the hair) even though I only imported the group_0 reference. Just for the heck of it, I duplicated the hat and hair of my mesh, renamed it group_base and went to add the bones again, only to have the error message "Object reference is not set to instance of an object" again. So I don't know what's going on.

Would it be possible to use just a regular hair (no hat) as a reference mesh for my project instead? Just wondering.

ETA again: Nevermind, I managed to work around the problem by using just a regular hair as a reference mesh and regrouping both groups of my project (the hat and the hair) into one group, renaming it group_base and doing the LODs for it and bones for it. No problems in either TSRW or Mesh Toolkit and it looks nice in game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 10:51 AM
I've moved on to another project. Bloom actually did this mesh for me originally a couple years ago and I did the shoes for it, but kept running into problems with the texture for the shoes appearing on the Sims arms and inner ankle. Fast forward and I've decided to try this again. While Bloom's mesh is still the same, I had to redo the mapping and textures for both the body suit and the shoes (through no fault of Bloom, let me be clear) and anyway, the good news is, the texture pattern doesn't appear on the Sims appendages anymore. The bad news is I'm having some weird issues in some areas. It's probably my fault so I want to know how to go about fixing it. Pictures are below.

I know that flesh-colored square in each of the pictures can't be right, but I don't know which texture (Overlay, Multiplier or Specular) I need to edit for the flesh color to disappear. Can someone help me out (again)?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 8:41 PM
THis is either bad UV mapping, or just having a sim's skin (mesh) right under the suit, which you shouldn't. But I suppose if you did make it recolourable, it's the multiplier (which should be grey).

I made a clothing tutorial right here in case you want to check some things out ^-^: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...f6SdjhTA383CbKH
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Sep 2016 at 11:47 PM
I'm guessing it's probably the latter, as the suit is basically a skin-tight bodysuit. If that's the case and it is just a skin issue, I can just go back and take out the marks on the back and hand of the suit. Should be OK then.

Thank you, Greenplumbob. I'll definitely check that out. :D