Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 5:42 AM
Default Game freezes when changing the resolution in game.
So I've been messing with The Sims 2 for hours trying to get it to work on my Windows 10 laptop with my Nvidia graphics card. I think I got the Nvidia graphics card to work with it for the most part. Problem is, I can't change the screen resolution without the game freezing. The options are there in-game, and when I select my resolution, 1920x1080, the game just freezes. The mouse does the little loading icon thingy and the music continues playing in the background, and it just sits there. I'm still able to move the mouse around, but I can't do anything. I can't even press the windows button to get back to the desktop. I have to shut down my laptop and restart it.

I used another graphics file that someone else made for my type of video card, and it worked for the most part I think. I found it here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6888

I used the file named "Graphic Rules - NVIDIA - Texture Fix - Max Screen size 1920x1080"

Then I tried following this advice: https://www.simonhampel.com/the-sim...roblems-solved/

But that didn't work either. I'm really at a loss here, and if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated. I know I might have not explained it very well, so apologies. Thanks to anyone who takes the time out to answer me.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 11:49 AM
You could try changing the shortcut - add -r1920x1080 to the end of it. I don't know whether this works because I've never done it but it's in the readme file for the game. You need to have your shortcut pointing to the exe file for the game, not the loader programette thingy.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 2:42 PM
I tried it, but it didn't work. I might have typed it in wrong, but I don't think that I did. After the quotation mark I typed in " -r1920x1080"

Any other suggestions? Or did I do this wrong? lol
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 2:58 PM
How long did you wait? The loading icon for the mouse usally is an indication that something is happening, and graphic changes sometimes can take a short while to be applied, usually under a minute, but sometimes up around 5-10 minutes if the computer is old/slow.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 3:22 PM
I waited for a few minutes, maybe five minutes or so. Maybe I need to try it again and just let it sit for twenty minutes or something. My computer isn't old or slow. It's new, I just bought it. It's fast and it has a decent nvidia graphics card. So it shouldn't be that. I guess I'll try changing the resolution again and just let it sit for a while. Maybe I'm not being patient with it. After all, it is an older game, and I'm trying to run it on a computer with newer hardware and Windows 10. If it works I'll let you all know. But if anyone else has any other suggestions, feel free to jump in.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 11:40 PM
Okay, so this time I let it sit for hours while I was in town, and when I got back it was still the same. I could move the mouse but nothing else. I had to shut down and restart my computer. I have no idea how to get this to work. I guess I'll keep messing around with it until I can somehow fix it. Unless anyone else has any other advice that I haven't tried.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 12:24 PM
That resolution on a Windows 10 laptop works for me with an Nvidia card, I play in windowed mode though, otherwise I can't take screenshots.
How about you, windowed or full screen?

My shortcut on the desktop just has " -w" added to the target, and I modified my Graphic Rules (in latest EP/TSDATA/Res/Config) like this:

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 800
uintProp maxResHeight 600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $MediumButDefaultLow
uintProp maxResWidth 1280
uintProp maxResHeight 1024
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium