Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2013 at 12:41 PM
Default The Sims 3 not using dedicated graphics
Hi everyone,

My computer has two graphics cards, an Intel one and an AMD dedicated one. I configured the switchable graphics to run ts3w.exe on high performance through catalyst control. But when I looked at the DeviceConfig log, I saw this:

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Name (database): Mobile IvyBridge GT2 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0166, Board: c0e6144d, Chipset: 0009
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1151, GUID: D7B78E66-4226-11CF-8273-ECE0B7C2C535
Driver version: 1151
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

I have tried messing with other settings in catalyst control, and I tried following the directions from this post but all that happened was that catalyst control crashed.

Does anyone know how to get the game to use only the dedicated card? I'm worried I am going to burn out the Intel card if I keep playing it this way.

Specifically, it is an AMD Radeon HD 8700M, and the drivers are updated.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2013 at 3:54 PM
You might try looking at this guide - Game Help:Getting new graphics cards recognized by the gamewiki and this thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2013 at 11:06 PM
Thanks, I've already tried both of those. Unfortunately, my AMD card is not being recognized by any program, not just the Sims. I will post back when I find a solution.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Jul 2013 at 11:27 PM
Do you need help with getting your AMD card recognised? I'd be happy to move this to the tech forum and see what we can come up with.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#5 Old 27th Jul 2013 at 10:22 AM
What laptop make and model?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Do you need help with getting your AMD card recognised? I'd be happy to move this to the tech forum and see what we can come up with.

Thanks, that would be great. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I ended up sending my laptop in to be serviced and they ended up replacing it, which took a month. Unfortunately, the replacement has the exact same problem!

ajaxsirius, it's a Samsung ATIV book 8. I think the model number is NP880Z5E. Supposedly, it is equipped with and AMD Radeon 8770M card, but 3DMark detects it as 8750, and doesn't use it anyway. It may as well not even be in there! I really hope to fix this, otherwise I will have to try returning this computer again.
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 6:32 PM
Try this:

Go to your device manager, graphic cards, right click on your radeon card and click on activate. Then reboot.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 7:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
Try this:

Go to your device manager, graphic cards, right click on your radeon card and click on activate. Then reboot.

When I right click on it, there is no option to activate. There's a disable option though. In Properties, it says that it's working properly.

I recently updated to the 13.5 beta driver, but there has been no difference in performance. Do you think I should try the latest beta driver? I think they have a 13.8 now.
Scholar
#9 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 12:24 PM
Do you see the Intel graphics there as well? Can you disable it?