Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 9:54 AM Last edited by Babahara : 1st Feb 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Default "Check sim out" madness
When you use "Check sim out" or "Do you like what you see?", you start seeing chemistry bolts and if there is more than one bolt, then from then on another sim can autonomously act romantically with your sim.

That's the problem. I often use this option, because I want to know who my sim likes the most, but I end up with all friends of my sim being "dangerous". E.g. my sim gets married, and five of her friends have two-bolted chemistry with her. It's really annoying, I have to watch them like a hawk, otherwise one of her friends can start flirting any time and she will fall in love autonomously after that (because their relationship is so high), and that's it... "Cheating".

It's so stupid... Is there a way to undo the effect of "Check sim out" and "Do you like what you see?". I don't want my sims to be permanently in danger of falling in love with their friends and being caught cheating, just because I was searching for a husband for her and checked out all sims that came her way...
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 11:26 AM
Dont use it is all i can say, in future try enabling boolprop testingcheatsenabled true, then shift-clicking the sim you want to know about, click make controllable, then check their chemistry, then make unselectable, then type the same cheat with false instead.

"Just like to say, good luck, we're all counting on you" - R.I.P Leslie Nelsen <3

Check out my creations here ^^
Scholar
#3 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 1:24 PM
If you don't see chemistry without checking out it can mean that either there is none or your sim, the other sim or both of them haven't a gender preference yet (never checked out/flirted with any sim). The Sim Blender has an option to randomize gender preference for the whole hood or for sims without one, you can change it for individual sims, too. With that, if there is any chemistry between sims, you can see it at the relationship panel and without ACR they won't flirt autonomously.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 1:45 PM
If you are using ACR you can also set it so that you Sims don't flirt autonomously with married or partnered Sims and vice versa. You just want to set overrides to autonomous/spouse only
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 3:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
If you don't see chemistry without checking out it can mean that either there is none or your sim, the other sim or both of them haven't a gender preference yet (never checked out/flirted with any sim). The Sim Blender has an option to randomize gender preference for the whole hood or for sims without one, you can change it for individual sims, too. With that, if there is any chemistry between sims, you can see it at the relationship panel and without ACR they won't flirt autonomously.

I never see any chemistry unless my sim performs a romantic gesture

How do you set the same gender preferences for the whole hood? I need them all bi in that case, randomizing wouldn't be good.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 3:42 PM
With both, the Sim Blender and ACR, you can set the percentages for straight/gay/bi.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:51 PM
Scoping the room is sufficient to get a couple of possibles in most cases. You do have to flirt or be flirted with in order to scope the room, but if you do the first flirt early enough that no relationships are particularly high you won't start falling in love or anything.

But you don't have to have romantic interactions with an individual in order to get multiple lightning bolts. Most of my numerous Hawkins family is at double or triple bolts with most of their acquaintances, including people they only just said hi to, and most of them are strictly faithful. (No, I don't know how I did this.) They also haven't, so far, had a problem with people they've never flirted with making autonomous passes at them; although people who shouldn't occasionally get wants to flirt with them which I don't allow them to indulge. I am a little worried about the Harris Hawkins/Gabriella Newson and Merlin Hawkins/Georgia Newson pairings; they're different age cohorts and both pairs seem happy, autonomously getting all over each other at 2-bolt level; but Gabriella and Merlin are also at three bolts with each other and tend to gravitate together when their legit SOs aren't in the room. But that's how drama happens and is neither here nor there.

I think you probably need to be a little more patient about locating your sims' future mates. Flirt them when they're young, or let Romance sims flirt them (incoming flirts count for this purpose) so as to get the "Scope the Room" ability and then let them meet and get to know people and notice who they hang out with most without using the flirts on anybody they're not already at one lightning bolt with unless you specifically have them earmarked for each other. Number of lightning bolts will change over time and you can tweak it a bit with the turn-ons and turn-offs. I'm making people I want to be absolutely certain won't ever fall for Hawkinses turned off by black hair. If you want someone to be only attracted to males, give them make-up for a turn-off. Unfortunately a turn-off for facial hair is of limited effectiveness in guiding people to be only attracted to females, as most townies are clean-shaven. People who are turned on by skills will get a wider pool of attraction as the population ages.

And people do get over this crap. You just have to finesse it a bit. I had Castor Nova marry Jane Stacks and paired Allegra Gorey with Martin Ruben, and they're all friends now. Martin and Allegra are nearly impossible to pry off of each other, in fact. I managed to work it so that Allegra saw Castor with somebody other Jane a couple of times, then had Martin give her the full-court press, and the friendship between Jane and Allegra barely suffered a hiccup.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by arathea
With both, the Sim Blender and ACR, you can set the percentages for straight/gay/bi.

Thanx, that did the magic! Now I can see the bolts and other sims don't harass mine.
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Scoping the room is sufficient to get a couple of possibles in most cases. You do have to flirt or be flirted with in order to scope the room, but if you do the first flirt early enough that no relationships are particularly high you won't start falling in love or anything.

But you don't have to have romantic interactions with an individual in order to get multiple lightning bolts. Most of my numerous Hawkins family is at double or triple bolts with most of their acquaintances, including people they only just said hi to, and most of them are strictly faithful. (No, I don't know how I did this.) They also haven't, so far, had a problem with people they've never flirted with making autonomous passes at them; although people who shouldn't occasionally get wants to flirt with them which I don't allow them to indulge. I am a little worried about the Harris Hawkins/Gabriella Newson and Merlin Hawkins/Georgia Newson pairings; they're different age cohorts and both pairs seem happy, autonomously getting all over each other at 2-bolt level; but Gabriella and Merlin are also at three bolts with each other and tend to gravitate together when their legit SOs aren't in the room. But that's how drama happens and is neither here nor there.

I think you probably need to be a little more patient about locating your sims' future mates. Flirt them when they're young, or let Romance sims flirt them (incoming flirts count for this purpose) so as to get the "Scope the Room" ability and then let them meet and get to know people and notice who they hang out with most without using the flirts on anybody they're not already at one lightning bolt with unless you specifically have them earmarked for each other. Number of lightning bolts will change over time and you can tweak it a bit with the turn-ons and turn-offs. I'm making people I want to be absolutely certain won't ever fall for Hawkinses turned off by black hair. If you want someone to be only attracted to males, give them make-up for a turn-off. Unfortunately a turn-off for facial hair is of limited effectiveness in guiding people to be only attracted to females, as most townies are clean-shaven. People who are turned on by skills will get a wider pool of attraction as the population ages.

And people do get over this crap. You just have to finesse it a bit. I had Castor Nova marry Jane Stacks and paired Allegra Gorey with Martin Ruben, and they're all friends now. Martin and Allegra are nearly impossible to pry off of each other, in fact. I managed to work it so that Allegra saw Castor with somebody other Jane a couple of times, then had Martin give her the full-court press, and the friendship between Jane and Allegra barely suffered a hiccup.

This so much a lot of challenges with the game play will resolve with a little patience and time.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2011 at 6:29 PM
I also think it's a mistake to use the memories as more than the roughest possible guide to what happened. Find some other way to track events. (I use a story in the pictures, but then I feel compelled to keep households going indefinitely in order to save the story.) Memories are just not fine-grained enough.

For instance, here's how Harris and Gabriella's early career at University goes, according to the memories: Come to University, meet a few people, fall in love, Gabriella caught cheating, First Kiss exchanged, a couple of dream dates, first woohoo, get engaged. All events with a few "met so-and-so" memories scattered in. The sequence of events makes no sense.

What really happened was that, having arrived BFF out of high school, they held hands their first night in the dorms; then next day went to visit Harris's other close high school friend at a different dorm. While waiting for him to come out to greet them, they engaged in a little autonomous flirting, attracting the attention of a cow mascot. The cow mascot hit on Gabriella, who got offended and turned her back on him, at which point Harris got in his face. I was impressed - Harris has 10 nice points and has never been mad at anybody in the game before or since. Clearly he was white knighting for her; and when I went back to their dorm and checked their relationship scores, there was no sign that they had taken the slightest dip. Nor should they have! Memory or not, Gabriella was innocent.

All too often you can't tell what really happened if you didn't happen to have the event in frame when it occurs, as I did on that occasion; but if a "cheating" incident appears in the memory, don't take it for granted that it means anything, can't be corrected, or even really needs correcting.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2011 at 3:32 AM
I also think it's a mistake to use the memories as more than the roughest possible guide to what happened. Find some other way to track events. (I use a story in the pictures, but then I feel compelled to keep households going indefinitely in order to save the story.) Memories are just not fine-grained enough.

For instance, here's how Harris and Gabriella's early career at University goes, according to the memories: Come to University, meet a few people, fall in love, Gabriella caught cheating, First Kiss exchanged, a couple of dream dates, first woohoo, get engaged. All events with a few "met so-and-so" memories scattered in. The sequence of events makes no sense.

What really happened was that, having arrived BFF out of high school, they held hands their first night in the dorms; then next day went to visit Harris's other close high school friend at a different dorm. While waiting for him to come out to greet them, they engaged in a little autonomous flirting, attracting the attention of a cow mascot. The cow mascot hit on Gabriella, who got offended and turned her back on him, at which point Harris got in his face. I was impressed - Harris has 10 nice points and has never been mad at anybody in the game before or since. Clearly he was white knighting for her; and when I went back to their dorm and checked their relationship scores, there was no sign that they had taken the slightest dip. Nor should they have! Memory or not, Gabriella was innocent.

All too often you can't tell what really happened if you didn't happen to have the event in frame when it occurs, as I did on that occasion; but if a "cheating" incident appears in the memory, don't take it for granted that it means anything, can't be corrected, or even really needs correcting.

Excellent points all around and an interesting way to think of sim memories.
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 1:59 PM
Chemistry is a weird thing actually. When I was playing the Grunts in Strangetown I invited Johnny and Ophelia. Earlier I checked Ripp preferences and he was all about girls. But when Johnny and Ophelia came by, Ripp started to do sigh as he was in love , so I do "Check sim out" and he got two bolt chemistry with Johnny and no chemistry at all with Ophelia....um...Ok, I don't mind it :D
Instructor
#13 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 3:10 PM
If someone says their sims are unfaithful, autonomously, I don't think it's the game, it's a mod. The unmodded game, I think it must have some kind of programming to make sims behave. I wish for more drama but my married sims are super faithful and boring.

Most of my numerous Hawkins family is at double or triple bolts with most of their acquaintances, including people they only just said hi to, and most of them are strictly faithful. (No, I don't know how I did this.) .

That is how it works in my game too. Without ACR. Imean, the sims who are in relationships don't flirt with any other sims. anyways I will *not* install ACR again. It made the sims look like robots. Bing, whirr, click, woohoo.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 4:24 PM
Yep. Unmodded they don't do anything I don't think?

ACR is a fickle beast, but you can set it up the way you want. How much they go and do stuff is set by their personal autonomy level, how high the relationship needs to be can also be set as a percentage based on aspiration, and what they consider cheating by their spouse is set by their jealousy level. If you want to reduce the random flirting, set global settings to have the required relationship high and also "cheating is not allowed" and "disallow unmarried woohoo" if you like. You can set autonomy low and copy that token to everyone in the hood. You can use the timer multiplier too if you think they are looking for woohoo too often, but that's a global setting, you can't set it individually.

ACR also has a brilliant feature which I use a lot called the "friend zone". You can set anybody you don't want them to act romantically with into the friend zone. I do this with distant relatives, kids they grew up in the same household/family with (considered "siblings"), anyone they are heartfarting over where the age gap is too great, and then anyone else who I think "Er.... no!"

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 4:28 PM
This post is 3 years old. Just saying :P
Instructor
#16 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 5:05 PM
Oh, I see.

Elephant! Handcuffs! Naughty! Tee hee!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
Yep. Unmodded they don't do anything I don't think?

It happens, infrequently. Dependent on aspiration, chemistry, relationship level and opportunity. I think.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 5:41 PM
Woohoo does not happen autonomously in an unmodded game.

All other romantic interactions can be freewilled, once you've given them that first flirt. It is rare for a sim who has only ever been directed to interact romantically with one other sim, who is currently in love with that other sim, to do so with anyone else. It can happen though, especially if he has high chemistry with someone who has been allowed/directed to interact romantically with multiple partners; in which case, the action is probably initiated by the other, more experienced party. An experienced romantic can also initiate someone else's first flirt on freewill.

Sims who were in love in high school, who lose their love tags in the transition from teen to YA or Adult, often choose to interact romantically on freewill with someone they have good chemistry and a high relationship with, and it often isn't the same person they dated in high school. As long as neither side has a current love tag, the possibility is open.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 8:46 PM
Sims are coded to do what you tell them to do. If you have your sims check out everyone and they do the same than they may have bolts with each other. Good for drama no doubt. If you wanted your sim to marry a male sim don't have her friends check her out and certainly don't have her ask "Do you like what you see" unless that is what you want. You can't have a sim flirt with her friends and not expect them to react. Sims come out of CAS gender neutral, so having them check out won't show you their gender preference, it simply starts it. So if they are to be just friends keep them that way.

Since you have already done that there are numerous ways of fixing things. Use the sim blender to remove the bolts, change it so her friends no longer like her by changing zodiac, turn on's and offs or gender preference and remove the crush.

I don't use ACR but I believe you can friend zone sims so that is another option.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~