Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#276 Old 19th Feb 2011 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by innocenteyes
I see your point urisstar. All races say they are the victim. I believe all races are victims

A question. You see a news brodcast that there was a video of a black officer beating a intoxicated white male when he retailed while being arrested. Who you react differently if the situation was reversed? I remember not to long ago there was a big uproar over something like this. Racism was called against a white officer when there was no evidence of such.

i think my point was more along the lines that nobody is a victim if they refuse to be victimized. the stronger person is the one who wins out at the end of the day, and im not ashamed to call anyone out on being an asshole, be they white, black, grey, pink or purple.

the whole situation sort of reminds me of rape. er--more in that when a woman cries rape, she is regarded much more seriously than if a man cries rape, be it at the hands of another man or at the hands of a woman (which, yes, is entirely possible, folks). why is the man's claim so much less plausible than the woman's? does it not happen, simply because we do not hear about it?

and personally i think the media lives just for the drama. it will happily air white racism against blacks because the people involved know that it will spark more of a reaction than black vs white racism. more people view white vs black racism as a faux pas, including white people.

im not sure if ive told anyone here about this before, but there was an instance in high school where i was mistakenly made out to be racist.
the situation was that i was sitting in science class. i was the student that the teacher normally picked on if nobody volunteered an answer, and that was usually because i knew it but wasnt the most enthusiastic supplier.
a couple of girls sat behind me, yada yada, and this time, the teacher asked a pretty obscure question. the answer was something i doubted most kids knew, so i was waiting for her to pick me to answer, (and at the time i wasnt entirely confident of my answer anyway) but at the last moment the girl behind me piped up with the correct answer.
impressed, i said to the teacher, " you should ask her, more often. she's got brains. "
and i was serious. not a note of sarcasm was used, no eye rolling, no sort of jokey tone.

now, apparently this was when a misunderstanding occurred. i know what i said; i was confident that everyone had heard it the way id said it.
well, i was wrong.
what the girl behind me heard was, " she has no brains ".
unaware of this, i continued with my business until i could hear her making little to no effort in subtly bad-mouthing me.
i turned in my seat and asked her what her problem was, irritated.
she relayed back to me what she thought id said, and i replied that i hadnt said that, and told her what exactly it was that i had said.
her response was, " oh. "
after that, i turned back around, and we pretty much never spoke again. until that moment i hadnt even known she was black, much less been intending a racist remark, but it struck me after class was over how uneven the situation had been.

first off, i had not actually insulted her. i was willing to forgive that she'd misheard me, as that could happen to anyone of any ethnicity.
but what i noticed was that it seemed entirely acceptable for her to badmouth me for it after, and not feel a need to apologize for that once it was cleared up.
im pretty sure that if i hadnt turned around and resolved it, too, that she couldve gone to the teacher and gotten me into serious trouble over it. i probably wouldve been made to apologize, and given some sort of negative mark on my record.
and forget asking her for an apology up front. ive seen when that happens among a white person and a black person before, and always its been a case of the black person taking it to mean " get down on your knees and lick my shoes ".

i dont take back that i think she is a smart student. i said it, and i meant it. but does her being black mean its okay for her to insult me as much as she likes, but even if shes wrong, no apology is called for?

ive had friends of all ethnicities, believe it or not :P, but i seem to have the hardest time approaching and/or speaking to black people because im more likely to believe that theyre looking for racism from me rather than recognizing and reacting to it if it were to intentionally be acted on.

and im pretty sure someone can notice cultural differences without being racist. thats another thing ive noticed lately; not many people seem to see the acknowledgment of cultural differences and racism to be separate. one such observation might be that whites dont "stick together" in an openly communal way, as ive seen it. white people dont call each other "sister" or "brother" outside of churches, dont really look out for each other on the street out of personal interest, dont feel an obligation to protect someone of the same skin tone. some might, but i have yet to meet them.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Advertisement
Instructor
#277 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 11:51 AM Last edited by sayyadina : 16th Mar 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Someone mentioned that "white people" is not the minority race on Earth. A popular figure I come across often is 25%. Its a fourth of the worlds population being "white" in the stricter sense. If this is actually true I dont know, but it sure puts things in perspective...

White people have gained power over the world through politics, religion and money, of which racism has been a strategy to achieve that dominion. If the table turned for some reason, the opposite would occur. White people being discriminated against, enslaved and even killed for being white sounds a lot like science fiction to most of us, but I guess its only because our minds are closed to the idea. Thats how deep our "white" sense of being superior goes. We made it unthinkable.
To me racism just means one group of DNA bullying and hating another group of DNA. If I bullied by a black person for no other reason than being white, Im going to call it racism because it is. If I bullied only because I have red hair I feel the same.

The strangest thing happens when one is critical towards traditions and values. Thats called racism too! I guess that is wrong. Its not racist to dislike another culture or religion, but thats how losely the word racism is used today. It´s weird.
Mad Poster
#278 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 7:38 PM
If you read much history, you'll see that it was very common in the Arabic and N. African kingdoms to have white slaves at one point. There's a reason why the US Marine song starts out "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli." The US president (Jefferson?) got tired of paying tribute to the Dar to leave our sailors alone and sent the Marines in to deal with the issue.

My husband and I have discussed why exactly my European ancestors were the ones who managed to successfully colonize the world. His theory is that it's related to the higher pressures on the Europeans--living on marginal land, awful weather--while his ancestors in Africa could walk out the door and pick fruit, dig tubers, or hunt year around. Sure, there were droughts, but they weren't anything like as predictable as winter! More pressure on the Europeans to develop technology and apply it to get to nicer places.

I've also seen a theory that it relates to the number of bays, inlets, and other suitable places for using boats along the European coast.

Can't be related to Christianity, because the kingdom where modern Ethiopia is (Axum, Aksum) had that first. Can't be related to gunpowder, because the Chinese had that first.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#279 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 7:59 PM
Sunbee - Regarding your second and third paragraphs, I strongly suggest you read, "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It explains -exactly- why Europeans were in a position to conquer, while people from other places weren't. A really fascinating read - in short, it comes down a lot of factors...

Available plants for cultivation allowing for larger populations which in turn allows specialization which in turn allows for innovation... Available animals for domestication providing a reliable source of protein, labor, wool, etc.... Sufficient land area to expand into, also allowing larger populations. Geography allowing for the easy spread of domesticated plants/animals and travel, and other cultures accessible nearby for trade of ideas, technologies, etc...

A hunter-gatherer society in hotter climates really isn't "easier" compared to an agrarian society in cooler climates - it's more that Africa is extremely north-south, not allowing for much spread of possible crops throughout it, the Sahara is a big obstacle, lack of suitable domesticatable animals and crops, etc... but he goes over all of that stuff in the book.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Theorist
#280 Old 16th Mar 2011 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
On Saturday a group of black men were not allowed to enter clubs in Warsaw without any apparent reasons. They were refused to entry because they were not white! It was an outrageous act of racism!

No offence, but how do you know that? There may be more to this than what you know.
And then you go on to say
I have never heard of any acts of racial discrimination in my country

So...what was that Warsaw thing about then? I don't see how you can make both statements.

And anyhow, there will always be a case of person A not being allowed into nightclub B because hes not a person B. And person C can in turn expect not to be allowed in nightclub A, cos hes not one of them.
Its the way of the world, don't worry about it.
Sheesh, just be glad we don't still live in Medievil times, where instead of being just turned away by bouncers, you would lose your head to an axe instead, if you were on someone elses turf.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#281 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sayyadina
White people being discriminated against, enslaved and even killed for being white sounds a lot like science fiction to most of us, but I guess its only because our minds are closed to the idea. Thats how deep our "white" sense of being superior goes. We made it unthinkable.

You're making a lot of assumptions. Skin colour doesn't determine what you think so please don't assume that you know what other white people think even if you are white yourself.
Mad Poster
#282 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 8:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Sunbee - Regarding your second and third paragraphs, I strongly suggest you read, "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It explains -exactly- why Europeans were in a position to conquer, while people from other places weren't. A really fascinating read - in short, it comes down a lot of factors...

Available plants for cultivation allowing for larger populations which in turn allows specialization which in turn allows for innovation... Available animals for domestication providing a reliable source of protein, labor, wool, etc.... Sufficient land area to expand into, also allowing larger populations. Geography allowing for the easy spread of domesticated plants/animals and travel, and other cultures accessible nearby for trade of ideas, technologies, etc...

A hunter-gatherer society in hotter climates really isn't "easier" compared to an agrarian society in cooler climates - it's more that Africa is extremely north-south, not allowing for much spread of possible crops throughout it, the Sahara is a big obstacle, lack of suitable domesticatable animals and crops, etc... but he goes over all of that stuff in the book.

HP, I have it. An autographed copy, in fact. (He and my dad go way back, professionally.) I've read it several times. don't entirely agree with him in all areas, but he has many good points. I think he's wrong on the sufficient areas to expand into--part of the pressure for colonialism from Europe was due to a lack of area to expand into locally. I wouldn't say that a hunter-gatherer society in a tropical climate is easier than an agrarian, but that hunter-gatherer is easier in tropical than in a 4 season, so the pressure to become agrarian is stronger in 4 season areas.
Test Subject
#283 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by supaclova
This was brought up in this thread...
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...24&goto=newpost
I thought I should probably open a new thread in the Debate Room to discuss this subject a little further.

So what do you think? I definitely think that there is a lot of racism against white people. I experience it all the time, but it's generally accepted. During class once, a girl said, "I fucking hate all the stupid white girls in here." All the teacher said was, "Hey, watch your language."

Now I think if I were to say something like, "I fucking hate all the stupid black girls in here," I would be sent down to the office and probably would be in HUGE trouble.

I know there isn't as much racism towards white people as other races, and I'm really not to offended when it happens, but it just irks me because it isn't taken seriously when it's done to white people. Racism is racism, no matter what race it's directed at. And racism is always bad and stupid, no matter who says, and who it's directed at.

Color aside we are talking about human beings here and all human beings, regardless of color or origin all have basic and fundamentally similar traits, such as the ability to hate as much as love, to lie as much as tell the truth, to be peaceful as much as be violent.

Now, I've heard it said more than once that this or that group is incapable of being racist simply because they're of that group. (I was once told by a black friend that it was impossible for black people to be racist because it was the whites who were actually racist and the blacks the oppressed group and it was impossible for an oppressed group to be racist. Okay, that doesn't make any more sense to me now as it was back then all those years ago!)

But, yes, this is the kind of things that get thrown about.

The bottom line is that humans are humans and all are capable of bigotry and racism.
Mad Poster
#284 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by edinfresno
Now, I've heard it said more than once that this or that group is incapable of being racist simply because they're of that group. (I was once told by a black friend that it was impossible for black people to be racist because it was the whites who were actually racist and the blacks the oppressed group and it was impossible for an oppressed group to be racist. Okay, that doesn't make any more sense to me now as it was back then all those years ago!)
Ironic because this, to me, sounds racist!
Theorist
#285 Old 25th Mar 2011 at 6:50 AM
I think it's important to understand the difference between a majority that's oppressing someone and a minority that's lashing back though. If twelve people gang up on one guy and make his life a living hell, and then he goes ahead and does everything in his power to screw with those guys in return, it's absolutely not a comparable situation that each party is in. It's even worse when those guys rotate around in a pool of a hundred other people that might not be associated with ganging up on the guy, but who share traits enough that it gets confusing to the casual viewer which person with those traits coming up to you is going to be a normal person and which one is going to try to kick you in the stomach. The guy that's been kicked in the stomach one too many times? He might decide to kick a completely innocent person in the stomach just to make sure he's the one doing the kicking first, before the gang shows up and pummels him under the weight of the majority.

That's why racism is so poisonous. You might come across it as an isolated incident and go "Well, these are just individuals. Other people aren't like that." Or you might come across the minority as he's kicking the wrong person. But it's all wrong, because it assumes that it's not part of a pattern and it implies that it's not every single person's responsibility to do everything in their power to eliminate it, whether it's because it's "isolated" or because it's somehow warranted, "those guys sometimes kick the wrong people, no wonder people don't like them." Racism isn't just actions, it's an implied aggression and violence that colors everyone. It drags everyone down to the racist's level. Socially a group of racists are more dangerous than any serial killer. What racism kills is civil society. It's never "I'm not a racist, so I don't have to worry about it," it's always "Racists exist, so I must do everything I can to do my part to eliminate racism."
Test Subject
#286 Old 9th May 2011 at 11:41 PM
It made no sense when the elevtion was happening how they would say your racist against blacks if you didnt vote for obama but if you didnt vote for McCain nobody would say you being racist against whites.
Field Researcher
#287 Old 10th May 2011 at 1:06 AM
@TurtleLover: thats exactly what the OP was saying. you can't be racist to any race EXCEPT whites without being lashed out at and punished. i completely agree with the OP and their stand on racism. racism does nothing helpful to the world and is very harmful. i think racism can be accepted ONLY if it is between friends who know they are joking.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Field Researcher
#288 Old 10th May 2011 at 9:10 PM
@Wojtek: the last words in that sentence imply that the friends know this and can take it lightly. you said hear Someone while meant between friends and only between friends.

Theorist
#289 Old 10th May 2011 at 10:39 PM
Really? What difference does it make? It doesn't matter whether I hear racist remarks about black people from strangers or friends, those are racist no matter what. Let's say I'm going to hang out with a couple of my friends and start telling racist jokes about non-whites. Would it not be racist?

I think he was talking about friends of different races. I would probably get uncomfortable if my white friend started ranting about how he hates black people but I hear "racist" jokes/comments between friends of a different race all the time and they know that they're kidding and it's just in fun.

Hi I'm Paul!
Theorist
#290 Old 11th May 2011 at 1:43 AM
I don't care if they're your friends, all you're doing by keeping your racism to an exclusive circle is confirming you are a racist but also a cowardly racist not interested in owning up to it. Not being racist isn't hiding your racism, it's not being racist. Period.
Instructor
#291 Old 11th May 2011 at 3:37 AM
I know all about racism against whites.

I was born in Germany (I live in Australia now) and I speak English with a German/Australian accent. I went to the US for 2 years and at my workplace I got a lot of " Heil Hitler" and remarks about WWII. Didn't make any difference when I told them I wasn't even born when the War was on.
They laughed and carried on like a bunch of children.
Needless to say I couldn't wait to get back to Australia, I never got anything like that here.
I love this country.

Unfortunately racism is worldwide and I think children should be educated from an early age in schools about it.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Top Secret Researcher
#292 Old 11th May 2011 at 6:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
I don't care if they're your friends, all you're doing by keeping your racism to an exclusive circle is confirming you are a racist but also a cowardly racist not interested in owning up to it.

I thought the person who said it meant that making racist jokes with your friends (usually about your friends or yourself) is ok because it is actually making fun of racism. Jokes referencing racist comments can highlight how ridiculous racism is. e.g. a maori friend was going to visit some other maori people and he jokingly told his kids "we're going to visit the maoris... hide your wallets". Technically the comment is racist but it's actually a joke about the absurdity of racism.
Field Researcher
#293 Old 11th May 2011 at 12:03 PM
i meant what simbalena said. i mean that though they say it, they don't mean it and their friend knows they don't mean it.

Alchemist
#294 Old 11th May 2011 at 1:28 PM
I think there isn't many racism against white people because they had the Colonies and had the black people and Inians as slaves, so the white were the ''good people''.,If you would be in your class saying ''Stupid nigger'' or even ''stupid black guy'' you'll get sent to the director, possibly. And even IF a black guy or girl will call me a ''sumb white kid'' I'll accept, the white people haven't treated the black people right and there are many places where they still don't.
If Nelson Mandela (Am I right?) didn't excist we still had white and black benches in parks and signs saying ''No niggers allowed''.They still had to stand up in the bus if there wasn't any place for the white person to sit.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#295 Old 11th May 2011 at 2:02 PM
I do think racism towards Whites is possible and does occur but White privilege is more prevalent in [American] society and I kind of see it as, "Well some folks will dislike a White person because of their skin tone but at the end of the day being White is a benefit.".
Field Researcher
#296 Old 11th May 2011 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
If Nelson Mandela (Am I right?) didn't excist we still had white and black benches in parks and signs saying ''No niggers allowed''.They still had to stand up in the bus if there wasn't any place for the white person to sit.

i thought Nelson Mandela was in south africa? wasn't he their first president?

Scholar
#297 Old 11th May 2011 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rcranger9
i thought Nelson Mandela was in south africa? wasn't he their first president?

Yeah, Nelson Mandela was in South Africa. I believe you're right about the president thing, too. Might as well look it up...Wikipedia says that he was the first "elected in a fully representative democratic election".

Zandvoort may have been looking for Martin Luther King, Jr. While he was certainly an important and inspirational figure, I don't think I would say that we would still have segregation if it hadn't been for him. He made the path toward racial equality a lot smoother and more peaceful, but there were several other figures of import involved in the Civil Rights Movement. Zandvoort also seemed to be hinting at the role Rosa Parks played in the Civil Rights Movement, though she actually wasn't the only one to refuse to give up her seat on the bus. She simply became representative of that aspect of the movement.
Field Researcher
#298 Old 12th May 2011 at 12:53 AM
Mandela was the first president of South Africa after the end of Apartheid. He was chosen in 1994 and was president for five years.
Test Subject
#299 Old 16th May 2011 at 9:53 PM
While the United States may have some of the more recent examples of racism(slavery a little over 100 years ago, etc), it is extremely unfair to say that the United States is such a racist country while most others haven't had to deal with it. I realize most of you don't have this viewpoint but I read earlier in this post somebody saying that the US had to make laws to respect the identity of humans or such while other countries just had an innate idea of human identity. Most, if not every, country that exists or ever has exists has had ideas of racism. The Arabs took many slaves from Africa, African tribes conquered neighboring tribes to take slaves, the Portuguese and Dutch were the main countries that exported slaves (not the Americans, we just bought a lot), most of the Caribbean had large slave populations, as well as a lot of South America(Brazil for one). Many European countries discriminated heavily against Jews as many as 1000 years ago (not just Germany). The original people group that lived in Vietnam was pretty much exterminated by the Sino settlers that we would now call the Vietnamese. The original Vietnamese were forced into the mountains where a few of them still live today. When the Russians expanded Eastward towards the Pacific Ocean in the 1500s they exterminated around 95 percent of the native Siberian population there. Also, the Spanish incursion into South American destroyed most of the native population there as well.

So, I feel that it's not fair at all to say that the Americans are the most evil group of people for having slaves, destroying much of the Native American population, etc. I'm not by any means saying those events were acceptable, but it is very inaccurate to say that the Americans have been the worst or only people with these problems. Most countries have had slaves at some point in their history, and lets not forget that when slavery was first introduced in American, it was still a BRITISH colony. I realize most of you do not have this viewpoint, but I did see it earlier in the post, so just wanted to get that out there
Lab Assistant
#300 Old 21st May 2011 at 11:35 AM
First I will say this- Slavery is against all human rights. It is cruel and inhuman to own another human being. We are all a people or "others", color has nothing to do with humanity. It is our cultures and how individuals thrive or die to blame if blame must be cast.

I can pull many quotes from these excellent websites, I hope if your at all interested in seeing a bigger picture youll read them and gain insight. Even if it doesnt change your opinion, maybe it will help you understand that hate against "others" and slavery in general go way back and among every continent.

In the matter of racism in America, slavery is still fresh in the minds of familys whos ancestors of only a few generations back, so they keep the torch burning. This will eventually evolve like "others" who have been kept as slaves and forgotten as they intermingle within the culture that had kept them.

Eventually these newly intermingled create a new culture and will probably succomb to a degree to owning slaves again. Maybe not in the overt form of the past, or the scale, but in another form. We already have sexual slaves, no matter the race all over the world. Some sexual slaves are currently built into the culture, though they arent called "slaves" in the open. They are kept shackled to their new "masters" by usually an economic contract that was unfulfilled. The male now having a type of ownership.

We can argue back and forth or the rightness or wrongness of it all. I urge anyone who feels slighted by negativity to speak out against it, especially if its about your skin color. Dont let others make you feel less than a human being for being different than them. Learn from the mistakes of the past and build a better future for everyone. Understand that slavery could happen again on a large scale if we allow our culture to fall into ruin over internal squabbles.

Slavery is never right but neither is the current hate against others who have nothing to do with the capitalist others of the past. This includes people of all colors in every continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery

http://mwillett.org/Politics/slavery.htm

This one is fun to read but also historically accurate- http://zahellbkup.blogspot.com/2008...ar-history.html

Page 12 of 12