Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 3:20 PM
Default Can I download premade families from Expansion packs I don't have?
Hi, I have the Sims 2 Super Collection from the App Store, which does not come with FreeTime or Apartment Life.

I have recently merged all the neighbourhoods I have together (Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville, Riverblossom Hills, Bluewater Village) using this tutorial:
http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

However, I really would like to be able to play the families that come with FreeTime and Apartment Life too, even though I don't have those expansion packs.

I found this link, http://maxis-taste.livejournal.com/61844.html which has the families from FreeTime and ApartmentLife available for download.
Below each family it says 'Download for FT/AL' and 'Download for Base Game'. I know I will not be able to download the first link because I don't have the expansion packs, but am I able to click download for the base game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 3:57 PM
Thank you for replying, I'm really happy to here that!

Where do I put the files once I download them?
Will they appear in the family bin on my game and in every neighbourhood?

I think there are some families that came with FT/AL but within secret sub-neighbourhoods (Hobbies/Magic?) such as the: Picaso, Cooke, Gavigan, Newson and Goodie families, do you know if I am am able to download these too?

Thank you again
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 4:36 PM
Thanks!
Do I then need to create these families myself?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 5:13 PM
Okay, thank you!

I have downloaded the base game version of the families from that website. Where do I put the files?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 5:35 PM
I followed your instructions and it was all going so well until I double clicked on the Sims2 Package files and it said 'This content requires Expansion pack data that is not installed'.

Even though I downloaded the base game version it still says this
Scholar
#6 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 7:44 PM
check through the comments of the maxis taste page;if someone else has your problem they might have commented and found a fix for it.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 9:32 PM
I looked through and one person seems to have had the same issue. Maybe the files are not actually suitable for the base game? Do you know if I could find these families elsewhere?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:03 AM
Try placing the unzipped files into your saved sims folder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KelleyWentworth
I followed your instructions and it was all going so well until I double clicked on the Sims2 Package files and it said 'This content requires Expansion pack data that is not installed'.

Even though I downloaded the base game version it still says this

This means that almost certainly you will be unable to install these Sims. Sorry.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:13 AM
A sim is a sim right? Anyone who do have them because they do play with premade, could extract their appearance with SimPE, clone them in BodyShop, then put everything base Game on them, hair, clothes etc..then package them up and share them with Kelley..no?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:31 AM
So long as a sim isn't wearing expansion pack items they are base game compatible.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:32 AM
Yes, I know. I was trying to wake people up...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 2:28 AM
My guess is it's something to do with Mac's opening the file. I know nothing about Mac's or how to unpack a sim on one.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My guess is it's something to do with Mac's opening the file. I know nothing about Mac's or how to unpack a sim on one.

If someone with FreeTime or Apartment Life or M&G or the Ultimate Collection creates a Sim or clones a Sim, the Sim will not install on a Mac, not unless someone were to use AGS and then they have to have it set up to only use what is in this list: Sims 2 base game, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Happy Holiday, Family Fun, and Glamour Life.

It is not just what is on the Sim that matters it is the version of the Game Engine that matters most. If someone creates a Sim or a Lot with a newer Game Engine than BV then that creation will not be installed by the installer.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#15 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 4:02 AM Last edited by gdayars : 12th Feb 2018 at 4:19 AM.
that isn't true, we consider sims to be base game. Only University is the exception due to young adults. Clothing and hair for instance, and accessories won't transfer (accessories don't anyway) but otherwise the sim itself is base game. Lots matter, sims don't.

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/...S-version-only- I don't know if this will help or not.