Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:12 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time
Default I have the EP! I can go to University now!
I got the EP today. I am so nervous. I made all the fixes and now am as EP ready as I will ever be.

I have one question before I go ahead and install. What do you guys think? The slim manual says (I paraphrase):

*Please do NOT install TS2 University in the same location as you installed TS2. If you do, The TS2 EP files will overwrite the TS2 files, and neither game will work properly.
By default, the installer automatically installs TS2 Uni. into a separate location.*

If this is so then I don't think it necessary to actually move any of the supposed non conflicting files out of My Doc DLs. I will take the hack sub folder and move it, of course, and will remove the user made careers, teen woo hoo and InSimenator that are kept in my root folder. But what about everything else? If the EP is going to create a separate directory then all my Body Shop and Home Crafter should be safe. My newly meshed objects should also work I believe.

I so need advice and input (and now am thinking I am posting this in the wrong place).
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:17 PM Last edited by daysies : 28th Feb 2005 at 7:20 PM.
Jinyc - I'm going to move this to Tech Support. But after you installed it, please report back and tell us what directories it installed. (I think it's better suited for Tech Support because then you can tell us if you've had any problems with your custom content, hacks, etc...)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:20 PM
Personally I'd move everything just in case, it's only a 2 minute job.
I'd say it will install the Uni pack in a seperate location but use the same folders in the my doc folder where all your custom content goes, if it does then it could overwrite your saved games etc.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:26 PM
Daysies, thanks for moving this. I thought it should be here after I wrote it. BTW Daysies please call me Joey.

Hippi you are correct. I will play with my subs now.
Ice Princess
#5 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:27 PM
Joey if you have any serious problems pm me and I'll try to help sweetie.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:36 PM
U got the EP already?! I'm in England so I have to wait until March the 11th! I can't wait; I ordered it ages ago!
Test Subject
#7 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 8:54 PM
And I'm in Hungary, so I have to wait until March the 18th. But I'm very patient.
#8 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 8:58 PM
I'm hoping that Best Buy has it today or the mall! If not, I think I'll go into shock if I have to wait till tomorrow lol. *crosses fingers and does the make-it-happen dance*
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:11 PM
Jinyc not back yet??? I'm anxious to know how the recolors are doing? I have both EP-ready and non-EP-ready recolors... I'm scared! Also, how many GB hard drive space does this EP need? I only have 9GB left.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:42 PM
ill bet this EP definitely requires much less than 9 GB..since Sims 2 itself was only around 3 GB (?) when installed.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:43 PM
Perhaps he's not back yet because he's playing? ^_^ I hope everything turns out okay. The only thing I am concerned about is having to convert my adult (or teenager, whichever will work better) clothing to fit young adults.
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:50 PM
*Please do NOT install TS2 University in the same location as you installed TS2. If you do, The TS2 EP files will overwrite the TS2 files, and neither game will work properly.
By default, the installer automatically installs TS2 Uni. into a separate location.* <-- oh dear. does any one know were on earth we are supposed to put it then? suggestions please!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Qwigqwag
Jinyc not back yet??? I'm anxious to know how the recolors are doing? I have both EP-ready and non-EP-ready recolors... I'm scared! Also, how many GB hard drive space does this EP need? I only have 9GB left.

i think it's a quistion of mb's wait i'll check oh sorry it's 3,4 GB good look with the space .. i have to wait untill the 10th ( holland) but the shop were i orderd it sayd the there's going to be a seprise for me

no ears
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:52 PM
Dah, blast. I have to wait until either tomorrow, next week, or until it gets warm out to get it, myself. Depending, of course, if the store I can easily get to has it tomorrow. If not, I have to wait until next week to try again, or until it gets warm to ride out to another store. Come on, tuesday! Hurry up already! (not ordering it online, rather impatient, really)

Probably going to crash it, as I'm not likely to move any of my downloads beforehand... ah well, such is life.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angelkitten056
By default, the installer automatically installs TS2 Uni. into a separate location.* <-- oh dear. does any one know were on earth we are supposed to put it then? suggestions please!

that's what we're all patiently waiting for. i can only imagine Joey is writing up a long post telling us what he's found out about the install.

DDO
Test Subject
#16 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:57 PM
oh wait. Excuse my last post becaue i understand now. Now back to spazzing *twitch* :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 9:59 PM Last edited by jinyc : 28th Feb 2005 at 10:04 PM.
I wish I had good news but I don't. The game installed without a problem but it is sooooo slow to load. In one hour of just waiting, wishing and hoping I finally gave up when trying to enter the Frat Brothers Household to have a look see and find what recolors and new objects work and don't. Well, after 20 minutes of a Sims tacky music concert and no entry I gave up and ctl-alt-del'd out of the game.

I did manage to choose a few of my teens to go to University. Too bad they can't gain entrance!

I moved all MTS2 careers out and all hacks before installing. I just moved Merola's objects out as well as the career award objects in collections. Don't know if that was creating my nightmare.
I will try again. I wish I had more encouraging news.

The game creates a new directory in C:/Prog/EA Games. It is added the the TS2 files in My Doc.

EDIT: BTW it doesn't take up that much additonal space on the HD, maybe 1/2 a GB.

Oh, and I finally gave up after waiting for all the game, different neigborhoods etc to load...after almost one hour!
Test Subject
#18 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:05 PM
joey:

is your computer fast though? if it is, then i might not even get this EP because mine is fast as well(ATi 9800 Pro 256mb) and if it isnt even going to run while half life 2 can, then im not interested.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:07 PM
It is a 1.6 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 GIG of RAM, Radeon 9600 PRO graphics card.

EDIT: No crash just interminable loading time.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#20 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:10 PM
Joey, did you try just moving out all your Downloads and loading up the game that way? What I'm going to do is move out Downloads, PackagedLots, SavedSims, Collections, and Neighborhoods... then install the game. Then put them back one by one.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:14 PM
Okay, so I'm just a little bit confused. :confused: Where do we install it to?

Jinyc what country do you live in? If you live in the U.S., what state?? Maybe it's already here, too!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:15 PM Last edited by jinyc : 28th Feb 2005 at 10:18 PM.
Daysies, the only DLs I moved were the careers and hacks. I copied the neighborhood back up and all the other sub-folders that I kept in the MY Doc DLs folder. They were all my compliant recolors and new objects as well as Merola's objects.

The game installed and started without a problem (except for the tap, tap, tap waiting time). I got the Sims University and chose the teens then clicked on the frat house and life as I know it entered limbo.

I removed more of the hacked objects but have left my Body Shop and Home Crafter D/Ls as well as the new meshes objects.

I am going to try again. Daysies should I do more do you think?

EDIT:
Elven: I got it from Amazon. I don't think my state matters but I live in NY.

You really don't have to worry as it will install itself to its own directory (mine is in my *C* Prog) and add what it has to to the existing MY Doc TS2 install.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#23 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:21 PM
That sounds good to me, Joey. :D

For the sake of my curiosity, can you tell us what new directories it installed in C:\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2?

When it prompted you what path to install it to, can you remember what it was?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#24 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:22 PM
Mmmmh... the neighborhoods? And what if the EP wants to modify in some way the existing sims? Maybe in order to add them a new flag related to the new life stage?
As for the Downloads, I absolutely agree; I'll move out the entire download folder (and the SavedSims); I think that everything was created by the game should remain where it is now (well backupped, obviously!).

As for the long loading time, maybe (I hope) the game performs some one-shot task (creating a cache or something), so that the next time you start the game it will be faster.
Test Subject
#25 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 10:33 PM
now when they start making lets say yound adult recolors and clothing, would we put the files under the old downloads folder or is there a new place we put them in?
Page 1 of 11