Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 10:32 PM
Default "Barefoot and Pregnant" style rules are getting me down.
I've always hated that pregnant sims couldn't work. I loved it when the EP in S2 came out and you could drive them to work.

NOW the game enforces maternity leave until your baby is a toddler. My female sims who want more than one child are pretty much all forced to be stay at home moms.

This really gripes me. I have a family oriented dad with a non-career oriented lifetime want. He's got to go to work to earn cash for the family. Meanwhile the mom desperately wanted a career oriented lifetime want. She is now an elder and only made it to level 2 in her career because that's what she was when she married into the family. She never went to work a single day she was in my family.

Yeah I could change their wants to match what they are forced to do, but I find it really sexist that basically moms aren't allowed to work and have kids.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 12:45 AM
Well that sucks, hopefully someone can edit it so there's an option for who stays home like one of the mods in The Sims 2. When I have kids I'll be the one going to work and my husband will be the stay at home dad so it kinda sucks that I can't really make our family once I get the game :/
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 1:36 AM
I've noticed that maternity leave seems pretty glitchy. :\ I had a sim at the top of her career track have a kid, then I went to her career tab and saw something like 28 days until work started... it would even yo-yo ridiculously, getting down to 24 days or so, then back up to 28 days. I do hope for some mods to fix/change maternity leave.
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:37 AM
That isn't how mine is working. I was pregnant and right before and after I was off work for 4 days. Then I had another one like 5 days later so now I have two babies at once. :o/ I am back to work and they are still babies.

One question though is I have 2 lots that I am playing a couple and then a single female. The single female had an affair with the guy and now has two babies. I was kind of disappointed though that his wife didn't find out.

What I thought was pretty darned cool was while my single female was pregnant so was his wife. the two women gave birth like a day apart. In the family tree it shows the guy as the father and that the children are half brother and sister.

Anyway... Just wanted to say I didn't have to wait until my babies were toddlers.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:40 AM
Realisticly a Mother wouldn't start back at work for a while after having a child.. It's hard work. Maybe you should have picked your traits and lifetime wish better, or not have children.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:41 AM
AwesomeMod allows you to cancel the forced maternity leave.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inventor
#7 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AutumnMemories
Realisticly a Mother wouldn't start back at work for a while after having a child.. It's hard work. Maybe you should have picked your traits and lifetime wish better, or not have children.

I agree, it's not realistic for a mother to start working right away after giving birth. And if you do want your female to have a career over family, then wait until she's reached the level she wants before having her start the family. It doesn't make much sense to me for someone to make an ambitious career sim and then have it start making a family and then not want to take care of it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 2:51 AM
The first sim I played that had a baby in-game was on maternity leave for what seemed like ages, she didn't go back to work until the kid was a child (I didn't age the child early, so that was a looong time). It was annoying, the dad was an unemployed artist and the mum was ready for promotion. The second sim to have a baby in-game was only off for four days. Much more reasonable. I don't know why the first one was off for so long.

I like that pregnant sims don't work whilst pregnant, as their needs always drop fast (and it gives my family time to spend on the garden), however I don't like that they are forced to stay home after having the baby. I liked that in sims 2 they could go back straight away if they wanted. I miss vacation time.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:31 AM
I miss being able to send my Preggo Sims to work anyways in TS2. I'd just click on the car and hit "Go to work". I can't do it in TS3 and it drives me bonkers. I hate vacation time!!

And for the record.. A coworker of mine literally worked until her C-Section date and was back at work two weeks later (against my boss's recommendation!) Her husband stayed home with her kids during the day. Amy was freaking brutal, man!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:39 AM
There's a "Go to Work" button on the Jobs tab that you can click. It has a little arrow beside it right up under the job title/description and time/days off information. I wonder will it work. Or will it just tell you that she has some days off still?

It's a neighborhood legacy
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by greeneyedsims
There's a "Go to Work" button on the Jobs tab that you can click. It has a little arrow beside it right up under the job title/description and time/days off information. I wonder will it work. Or will it just tell you that she has some days off still?

It doesn't work, it will just tell you how many days you have left.

Pescado: Thank you so much for awsome mod, the TS2Aging is going to be a life saver.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by greeneyedsims

I tried to send my sim to work with that button when they weren't supposed to be at work and the game gave me a message that they should try to go to work when it was time. So I don't think that will work.