Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 12:47 PM
Default Residential lots on uni
Is there a mod to get rid of rents on uni lots or to zone regular buyable houses? Ideally I'm looking for a way to build normal residential houses without rents on uni lots. Not sure if this is possible. Can't find a hack or cheat or anything in relation to this. Any ideas, thanks.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Jan 2019 at 7:56 PM
"Rent" is really a misnomer in a University subhood, as the price is a one-time payment. If you want a residence to be passed down within a family, move in a placeholder sim right before graduation. When the next generation comes to college, they can move in with the placeholder, move the placeholder out if you don't want to play them, and pick up right where Mom and Dad left off.

I had two houses I kept continually occupied in the Sim State attached to my recently defunct hood, Drama Acres. One was one of the two-room houses on Peanut, and one was the three-story Craftsman's Pride on the other side of campus. The Craftsman's Pride was bought by the Alma Mater Foundation to house descendants of my core sims (and often their significant others), and the house on Peanut Street was inhabited by a string of variously-related students, inhabited at various times by cousins, siblings, childhood BFFs, lovers, and so on.Both houses accumulated considerable cash over the years, so I was able to make structural changes to accommodate the differing needs of different generations, buy cars, and redecorate periodically. Also, the wardrobes got so full that I wouldn't need to take entering freshmen to the store in the fashion disasters they randomly grew up into, because they could always find something at least temporarily wearable on-site.

The best thing, though, was the sense of history that built up in both houses. Photobooth pictures and paintings, in particular, remained hanging on the walls as reminders of previous age cohorts, and traces of hobbies were left behind - a garden patch, a robotics workshop, a basketball hoop. Obsolete furniture was seldom deleted, but was instead stored in attics until wanted again. New furniture reflected the taste of the individual sims who made up the household at the time of purchase, so the Romance sim's elaborate and comfortable bed would later be given chaste bedclothes and slept in by a depressed Knowledge sim who brought in a much better desk and loaded it with studious clutter. Students would play chess at the table where their parents made friends, and eat leftovers put back by their grandmothers. It was great.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#3 Old 15th Jan 2019 at 7:44 PM
not sure, but a certain "Text Lists" resource might be able to change the wording.
if so, the file might be located in a folder named "Text".
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jan 2019 at 12:24 PM
Thanks both. I eventually just took over the Worthington house by moving a sim in from the normal lots and killed off the sim who was there first, lol. He came back as a ghost and killed a sim in the family who took over. Just revenge I feel.

I'd still like to know how to create regular homes on uni lots though. In the meantime, I'll check out the text file. Thanks