Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#226 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 2:08 PM
A. Bob is Asian. He likes white girls only. He puts down Asian girls and tells people what's wrong with them and why he will never date them. He says he hates Asian girls

B. Carl is black he doesn't date black girls. He only likes Arabic girls. He has nothing against black girls he just isn't attracted to them.

A is obviously racist, B isn't. As someone who has dated different races, I can honestly say I have met plenty of A guys. Some ive dated and a couple who have turned me down. I had a Dominican bf who started out nice but he didn't like any Latino girls at all he always said nasty things about them and he had a little sister and a mom, so I asked him how he would feel if someone said those things to his family and he said he felt sorry for them. Long story short he didn't last long with me. But it's absolutely sickening.

People can and do have their racial preferences, that's fine. But some people go too far and it's like self hatred, to hate your own race. And others don't wish to date outside, that's okay too but most of the time their reasons are a little prejudice and based on racist stereotypes..
Too each their own, just keep it respectable to others.
& with that Love Away!!!!!

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#227 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 2:47 PM
someone may be attracted to a certain race/skin colour but they might fall in love with the person underneath so in the long term all that matters is whos underneath...
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#228 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 2:06 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 24th Jun 2014 at 4:48 PM.
What I have a problem with is the attitude "I don't date people of X race because I'm not attracted to them, but I'm not racist."

Okay, but WHY are you so not attracted to them that you dismiss all of them as potential partners? Why are you making this blanket statement about an entire race being unattractive to you when there are so many different individuals with such different appearances and personalities? I find the argument "it's just like a guy liking blondes and not redheads" to be unconvincing unless you think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to have such a fetish about hair color that he refuses to even consider dating a redhead. And I'd be pretty pissed if some guy told me "I really like you but I won't go out with you because you have brown eyes." I might suspect it's just an excuse.

I'm just saying, preferences are fine, but when you've prejudged an entire group of people as unattractive to you based on skin color, maybe you should be wondering about the reasons behind it. Not that I'm judging anyone; we all have our prejudices, but being aware of them and maybe trying to work on them is a good thing.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Field Researcher
#229 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
What I have a problem with is the attitude "I don't date people of X race because I'm not attracted to them, but I'm not racist."

Okay, but WHY are you so not attracted to them that you dismiss all of them as potential partners? Why are you making this blanket statement about an entire race being unattractive to you when there are so many different individuals with such different appearances and personalities? I find the argument "it's just like a guy liking blondes and not redheads" to be unconvincing unless you think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to have such a fetish about hair color that he refuses to even consider dating a redhead. And I'd be pretty pissed if some guy told me "I really like you but I won't go out with you because you have brown eyes." I might suspect it's just an excuse.

I'm just saying, preferences are fine, but when you've prejudged an entire group of people as unattractive to you based on skin color, maybe you should be wondering about the reasons behind it. Not that I'm judging anyone; we all have our prejudices, but being aware of them and maybe trying to work on them is a good thing.

I don't see how you can work on an attraction. Trust me I have tried. I remember for example when Nick Jonas first buzzed his head. I tried and tried to like it but it looked so bad that I just couldn't and normally he's gorgeous to me. Does that make me prejudice against guys that have little hair/bald? No because I'm still going to be friends with a person who has little hair/bald, I'm just going to find it hard to have an interest in dating them unless I already clicked with them on an extreme level. Actually that's one of the reasons why I don't find African American guys attractive. They either have no/little hair or just have a strange hairstyle. It's not their fault of course, it's in their genetics but again it's not my fault I have a baby face and I would scoff if guys said they liked my face. So isn't it fair to say someone isn't attractive to me when I'm much more critical on myself?
Also like it or not, there are cultural differences between races and that makes it hard to connect with people on a romantic level. Yeah there's a possibility you could with someone outside of your race but sometimes it's just so unlikely that it's hard to consider that possibility.

I mean again you can call me a racist if you want to. I really don't care but I'm just saying I know that I am not one and that's all that matters to me. I know I'm a lot of things: ugly, dumb blonde (even though I'm not naturally blonde), crazy, trans-aged etc. but racist is just not one of them.
Theorist
#230 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakesecaravdis
Actually that's one of the reasons why I don't find African American guys attractive. They either have no/little hair or just have a strange hairstyle.

To say ALL people of a certain race are something, sounds racist to me. Not all men of African descent have no/little hair. Excluding an entire race because of a prejudice that they all have little/no hair is racist. Excluding a particular individual because he's follicularly challenged is superficial, but not racist.

Also like it or not, there are cultural differences between races and that makes it hard to connect with people on a romantic level. Yeah there's a possibility you could with someone outside of your race but sometimes it's just so unlikely that it's hard to consider that possibility.

It's a racist prejudice to think everyone of a certain race is boxed into a specific culture. Not everyone of the same race has the same culture, as culture has many outside influences such as location, family, upbringing, etc. I'm Asian, but I was born and raised in the US. All my friends are white. My wife is white. I don't speak a lick of Chinese. I celebrate the same holidays the same way as the majority of people in my area (and probably most of the US).

Excluding everyone of a specific race based on an assumption that they all have the same qualities, is racist.
Excluding an individual for having a quality you aren't attracted to, is not racist.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#231 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 7:29 PM Last edited by Drakesecaravdis : 30th Jun 2014 at 7:39 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
To say ALL people of a certain race are something, sounds racist to me. Not all men of African descent have no/little hair. Excluding an entire race because of a prejudice that they all have little/no hair is racist. Excluding a particular individual because he's follicularly challenged is superficial, but not racist.

It's a racist prejudice to think everyone of a certain race is boxed into a specific culture. Not everyone of the same race has the same culture, as culture has many outside influences such as location, family, upbringing, etc. I'm Asian, but I was born and raised in the US. All my friends are white. My wife is white. I don't speak a lick of Chinese. I celebrate the same holidays the same way as the majority of people in my area (and probably most of the US).

Excluding everyone of a specific race based on an assumption that they all have the same qualities, is racist.
Excluding an individual for having a quality you aren't attracted to, is not racist.

I don't think you or anyone else here is getting it. Yes not all African Americans have little or no hair. That's why I put or just have a strange hairstyle. For some reason when they have a full head of hair they often look weird to me.
Yes there are exceptions to that rule but the fact that I've seen so many guys of that race and I am boy crazy and not like one of them makes the possibility so miniscule. Yes there are so many people in the world but to see so many and only be a little attracted to exactly one and two halves (I say half because I only liked their characters on TV). Maybe culture is the wrong word. There are subtle differences that I've seen. They don't matter in friendships but they do in dating. I'm not sure how else to explain it, just that a guy who isn't Caucasian descent doesn't have the humor or personality that I find sexy. They can be funny sweet etc but not in a sexy way. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but again the possibility is very unlikely when I've seen so many people. Racist means you want to exclude people from your group.
I'm sure I don't make any sense like I said I don't even make sense to myself sometime but saying that someone is racist when you don't know what's in their head or why they feel the way they do is just kinda...well stupid. It's like how people don't believe I am trans-aged. How do you know I'm not? Do you live in my head?
Then again I am the only one that feels this way so I guess it's a fair assumption to say that I'm racist when you think about. I've always said I'm the exception to every rule but people have to allow for that uniqueness in someone. Not everyone thinks the same way. I'm a self admitted picky person (that's why I don't even try to find someone. I have so many standards. I mean I don't want a guy who smokes, I don't want a super athletic guy, if he can't accept gay people that turns me off) but I don't think that's the same as being racist. I can appear racist but does that mean I am? I just think that people need to take the time to understand someone before putting labels. I don't see how you can date someone if you're not attracted to them. That just isn't fair to the other person.
It's all semantics I guess but I just don't see how it's accurate.
Never is a strong word but not hate to people. Why are we allowed to say we hate someone when we don't know them but not say never?
Alchemist
#232 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 11:41 PM Last edited by Rawra : 1st Jul 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Drakesecaravdis, I think I understand where you're coming from, although completely dismissing the sheer possibility of a relationship with someone of a different race is kinda childish, since I believe it's more than clear that we're not done the courtesy of being able to choose with whom we fall in love. Hell, I don't like blond people (men and women) especially, but I've had a blond boyfriend followed right after by a blonde girlfriend. Life is just unpredictable that way.

However, what really ticked me off in what you said was this:

Quote:
just that a guy who isn't Caucasian descent doesn't have the humor or personality that I find sexy. They can be funny sweet etc but not in a sexy way. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but again the possibility is very unlikely when I've seen so many people

I'm sorry, but what does race have to do with one's 'humour or personality'? If I do understand not being physically attracted to someone of another race (but, again, not entirely denying the small chance of actually finding someone attractive among that certain category of people), branding someone x or y personality-wise based solely on their race is downright ignorant and racist. I'm sorry for being so blunt, and although I might have come off as offensive to you, it is the truth. Hiding behind the argument that 'you've seen so many people' would've maybe worked in the 60's, but it doesn't anymore.

Quote:
Racist means you want to exclude people from your group

No, it means having preconceptions about people, thus excluding them from your surroundings, whether platonically or romantically.

Quote:
Then again I am the only one that feels this way so I guess it's a fair assumption to say that I'm racist when you think about. I've always said I'm the exception to every rule but people have to allow for that uniqueness in someone. Not everyone thinks the same way. I'm a self admitted picky person (that's why I don't even try to find someone. I have so many standards. I mean I don't want a guy who smokes, I don't want a super athletic guy, if he can't accept gay people that turns me off) but I don't think that's the same as being racist. I can appear racist but does that mean I am? I just think that people need to take the time to understand someone before putting labels. I don't see how you can date someone if you're not attracted to them. That just isn't fair to the other person.

Please, do not play the special snowflake whom nobody understands and bring that into this debate, because it's an irrelevant and pretty bad argument. Nobody *has* to allow anything if it is blatantly racist as what you are insinuating. 'Pickiness', if I might call it so, has *nothing*, nothing, nothing to do with this. You didn't just say you prefer white guys, you literally just called the whole lot of black men a bunch of humourless 'but sweet' people. And you know what isn't fair to anyone?! Rejecting them romantically because of their race, that's what's unfair!

Quote:
I just think that people need to take the time to understand someone before putting labels

This is exactly why everything you've said is painfully wrong. Thank you for contradicting yourself.

Again, I understand not being attracted to certain physical characteristics that, more or less, differ from race to race. However, that is in no way a reason to refuse any sort of mildly romantic contact with someone, it's a preconception and should really cease to exist as an idea, we live in 2014 and we're all the fucking same anyhow, no matter the skin colour. But from that to generalizing a whole race as being 'unfunny' is a huuuge step that I'd really wish people would stop taking.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Theorist
#233 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 3:55 AM
Chris Rock. Martin Lawrence. Eddie Murphy. David Chappelle. Richard Pryor. Bill Cosby. Maybe if black people aren't funny, you'd like to try saying they can't hold a tune, either?

Drakesecaravdis, I think your problem is that you don't want to be seen as a racist. That's great. Stop being one. Problem solved.
Scholar
#234 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:12 AM
I think it's very, very questionable when someone says that they aren't attracted to non-Caucasian men and then only uses black men as examples to criticize.

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Field Researcher
#235 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Chris Rock. Martin Lawrence. Eddie Murphy. David Chappelle. Richard Pryor. Bill Cosby. Maybe if black people aren't funny, you'd like to try saying they can't hold a tune, either?

Drakesecaravdis, I think your problem is that you don't want to be seen as a racist. That's great. Stop being one. Problem solved.

I love Eddie Murphy movies. He's one of the funniest actors and Chris Rock can be funny too. One of my favorite programs is Family Matters and I got upset with Laura her younger years when she'd always be so mean to him and was happy when they finally got together. It's just they haven't shown me to have the kind of humor that's appealing TO ME in a romantic sort of way. Actually one of my most favorite people ever is Big Rob and he's funny and seems like a teddy bear. I quote him all the time.
I don't really care if I'm seen as a racist or not. I'm just saying it wouldn't be accurate, though it doesn't offend me one bit. I guess it seems like I care because I'm highly opinionated but I never worry about what some random person thinks of me. My personal quote is "my ego is small but I still don't give a sh*t" Here's one problem you said that I said they were unfunny. Now I could easily say you're picking apart on purpose. In fact I almost did but would that be fair? No it wouldn't because I would be judging you. Maybe I wrote too much of a novel and you missed the rest of my post.

Quote: Originally posted by Rawra
Drakesecaravdis, I think I understand where you're coming from, although completely dismissing the sheer possibility of a relationship with someone of a different race is kinda childish, since I believe it's more than clear that we're not done the courtesy of being able to choose with whom we fall in love. Hell, I don't like blond people (men and women) especially, but I've had a blond boyfriend followed right after by a blonde girlfriend. Life is just unpredictable that way.

However, what really ticked me off in what you said was this:

I'm sorry, but what does race have to do with one's 'humour or personality'? If I do understand not being physically attracted to someone of another race (but, again, not entirely denying the small chance of actually finding someone attractive among that certain category of people), branding someone x or y personality-wise based solely on their race is downright ignorant and racist. I'm sorry for being so blunt, and although I might have come off as offensive to you, it is the truth. Hiding behind the argument that 'you've seen so many people' would've maybe worked in the 60's, but it doesn't anymore.

No, it means having preconceptions about people, thus excluding them from your surroundings, whether platonically or romantically.

Please, do not play the special snowflake whom nobody understands and bring that into this debate, because it's an irrelevant and pretty bad argument. Nobody *has* to allow anything if it is blatantly racist as what you are insinuating. 'Pickiness', if I might call it so, has *nothing*, nothing, nothing to do with this. You didn't just say you prefer white guys, you literally just called the whole lot of black men a bunch of humourless 'but sweet' people. And you know what isn't fair to anyone?! Rejecting them romantically because of their race, that's what's unfair!

This is exactly why everything you've said is painfully wrong. Thank you for contradicting yourself.

Again, I understand not being attracted to certain physical characteristics that, more or less, differ from race to race. However, that is in no way a reason to refuse any sort of mildly romantic contact with someone, it's a preconception and should really cease to exist as an idea, we live in 2014 and we're all the fucking same anyhow, no matter the skin colour. But from that to generalizing a whole race as being 'unfunny' is a huuuge step that I'd really wish people would stop taking.

I brought it into the debate because it is relevant (I wasn't playing someone that no one understands because it actually does happen to me). No one knows what my perspective is except me so how can they say I'm racist when I have my reasons for not being attracted to people.

I didn't deny the chance. I put that in my post that there is a likelihood it's just small. Maybe you missed that part. Also I would have called myself racist until I started getting attracted to a few celebrity women. You would think that I'd be attracted to guys of other races by now since being attracted to a woman is the last thing I would be.

Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
I think it's very, very questionable when someone says that they aren't attracted to non-Caucasian men and then only uses black men as examples to criticize.

You're right that it's weird that I only use African American men as an example but I used them because I have only been approached by those of that race. I felt bad about it when the one guy asked me to the prom and I said no. Are you saying I should have said yes because I almost did since he was so nice to me but I didn't think that was fair when I didn't have any feelings toward him (and he was in my class so I got a good perception of what he was like as a person). I haven't been attracted to anyone outside my race but I can't explain the other races as well, it just hasn't happened.

The bottom line that no one is getting here is it's more acceptable in society to say you hate a celebrity when you have no reason to. People get too hung up on semantics that they immediately think oh they really mean they're assuming that it won't happen at all in their lifetime. In other words when I say never I mean it's highly unlikely that I will be attracted to others when I should have already been. Remember I am boy crazy so you would think I would aside from liking a few only because I was type casting.
Maybe alone saying I never would date other races sounds bad but there are many Caucasians that don't have the qualities I like as well. It's just very unlikely that it would be people of other races I'm going to fall in love with because usually in the media African Americans are either older comedians or rappers and African Americans are the most prevalent. Asians are barely in the media at all as well as Latinos. As for IRL, I'm not a social butterfly so the only thing I can go on is the personality they show to the public and Caucasians are the only one that has shown what appeals to me.

Also one thing I've thought about is anyone actually racist? I know I've said people are because it definitely is wrong to exclude other races from your group but I don't think they are as much as they pretend to be. Most of us are mixed descent and I think it's time the ignorant people realize that.
Alchemist
#236 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 11:21 AM
I love Eddie Murphy movies. He's one of the funniest actors and Chris Rock can be funny too. One of my favorite programs is Family Matters and I got upset with Laura her younger years when she'd always be so mean to him and was happy when they finally got together. It's just they haven't shown me to have the kind of humor that's appealing TO ME in a romantic sort of way. Actually one of my most favorite people ever is Big Rob and he's funny and seems like a teddy bear. I quote him all the time.
I don't really care if I'm seen as a racist or not. I'm just saying it wouldn't be accurate, though it doesn't offend me one bit. I guess it seems like I care because I'm highly opinionated but I never worry about what some random person thinks of me. My personal quote is "my ego is small but I still don't give a sh*t" Here's one problem you said that I said they were unfunny. Now I could easily say you're picking apart on purpose. In fact I almost did but would that be fair? No it wouldn't because I would be judging you. Maybe I wrote too much of a novel and you missed the rest of my post.

How can humour be romantic, though? Race has nothing to do with one's personality, trust me, it took me years to finally find a guy whose humour was appealing to me, but not necessarily in a romantic way (teenage boys seem to make really bad jokes, but that's beyond the point), and I live in a country where you can very, very rarely see a nonwhite individual.

You don't care if you're seen as racist? It's not about a 'random person', which I suppose is a healthy mindset (that is, not caring about what people on the internet think of you), but if a nonwhite person sees you as racist, it's not only the fact that you've stopped having any chance of being friends with that person (in most cases), it's also that you've hurt them, because racism, believe it or not, is still a worldwide problem that takes away rights in certain contexts. Freedom of speech goes up to the point where you hurt people for things they have no control over. And you did say they were unfunny, 'because it doesn't appeal to you romantically'. I still don't understand how that works, but so be it.

Quote: Originally posted by Drakesecaradavis
No one knows what my perspective is except me so how can they say I'm racist when I have my reasons for not being attracted to people.

You have very well described your perspective, so I guess everyone knows what it is. Your reason for not being attracted to black guys is that they don't have an attractive humour. As if everyone of a race is the same. Oops, I've just described racism, haven't I?

I felt bad about it when the one guy asked me to the prom and I said no. Are you saying I should have said yes because I almost did since he was so nice to me but I didn't think that was fair when I didn't have any feelings toward him (and he was in my class so I got a good perception of what he was like as a person).[/qupte]

I'm going to assume you're talking about a black guy, since you haven't been very clear. You said no because he was black? Just that? You said he was 'so nice to you', but yeah, I guess he didn't have a hot humour, right? Very well then, if race is your number one criteria for picking your partners, you couldn't POSSIBLY say that that isn't racist. It might be an internalized form of racism, but it's racism nonetheless.

[quote=Drakesecaradavis]Also I would have called myself racist until I started getting attracted to a few celebrity women. You would think that I'd be attracted to guys of other races by now since being attracted to a woman is the last thing I would be.

Sexual orientation is literally the most unrelated thing to racism. If you're bisexual, bi-curious (almost typed 'bi-furious'; I'm blaming Scott Pilgrim vs The World for that), that doesn't mean you're automatically not racist. Like, for real. Doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm just stupid like that.

It's just very unlikely that it would be people of other races I'm going to fall in love with because usually in the media African Americans are either older comedians or rappers

Yeah, I mean who the fuck are Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Hanchard, Wesley Snipes, Halle Berry, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lupita Nyong'o and so on...

Also one thing I've thought about is anyone actually racist? I know I've said people are because it definitely is wrong to exclude other races from your group but I don't think they are as much as they pretend to be. Most of us are mixed descent and I think it's time the ignorant people realize that.

Contradicting yourself again, in the second part anyhow. Nobody would 'pretend' to be racist. You're either racist or you're not, and that's that. And, umm, are you of mixed descent? Not purely Caucasian? Get the hell outta here, I don't want to hear your unattractive jokes!

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Field Researcher
#237 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rawra
How can humour be romantic, though? Race has nothing to do with one's personality, trust me, it took me years to finally find a guy whose humour was appealing to me, but not necessarily in a romantic way (teenage boys seem to make really bad jokes, but that's beyond the point), and I live in a country where you can very, very rarely see a nonwhite individual.

You don't care if you're seen as racist? It's not about a 'random person', which I suppose is a healthy mindset (that is, not caring about what people on the internet think of you), but if a nonwhite person sees you as racist, it's not only the fact that you've stopped having any chance of being friends with that person (in most cases), it's also that you've hurt them, because racism, believe it or not, is still a worldwide problem that takes away rights in certain contexts. Freedom of speech goes up to the point where you hurt people for things they have no control over. And you did say they were unfunny, 'because it doesn't appeal to you romantically'. I still don't understand how that works, but so be it.

You have very well described your perspective, so I guess everyone knows what it is. Your reason for not being attracted to black guys is that they don't have an attractive humour. As if everyone of a race is the same. Oops, I've just described racism, haven't I?

[quote=Drakesecaradavis]
I felt bad about it when the one guy asked me to the prom and I said no. Are you saying I should have said yes because I almost did since he was so nice to me but I didn't think that was fair when I didn't have any feelings toward him (and he was in my class so I got a good perception of what he was like as a person).[/qupte]

I'm going to assume you're talking about a black guy, since you haven't been very clear. You said no because he was black? Just that? You said he was 'so nice to you', but yeah, I guess he didn't have a hot humour, right? Very well then, if race is your number one criteria for picking your partners, you couldn't POSSIBLY say that that isn't racist. It might be an internalized form of racism, but it's racism nonetheless.

Sexual orientation is literally the most unrelated thing to racism. If you're bisexual, bi-curious (almost typed 'bi-furious'; I'm blaming Scott Pilgrim vs The World for that), that doesn't mean you're automatically not racist. Like, for real. Doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I'm just stupid like that.

Yeah, I mean who the fuck are Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Hanchard, Wesley Snipes, Halle Berry, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Lupita Nyong'o and so on...

Contradicting yourself again, in the second part anyhow. Nobody would 'pretend' to be racist. You're either racist or you're not, and that's that. And, umm, are you of mixed descent? Not purely Caucasian? Get the hell outta here, I don't want to hear your unattractive jokes!

From what I've seen, their humor has not appealed to me in the datable way. I don't see how I'd hurt them considering why the fuck would they want to date me anyway? If a guy approaches me AT ALL it's a Caucasian (except for that guy at my school). Plus it's not like I'd hurt them because I'm pretty reserved IRL anyway so they would never know the reason I didn't want to date them.
Let's explain it in a way that a non Aquarian mind would maybe understand, the reason I say it's unlikely to be attracted to a guy of non Caucasian descent is because I'm detached. I'm not interested in making friends. If they want to be my friend then great but I'm not going to seek someone out. Since I'm the loner type of person it's hard to see the more personal side of people unless I've actually studied them. I guess you could say I fall for very few regular guys anyway but if people of my race are the only ones to approach me in that way except for that one person at my school then how is it ever going to happen?
I'm not saying there isn't a chance but it's a very small one because I never look to date someone anyway and that's why never is an appropriate exaggeration since the chance to me is insignificant
Ok African American MEN are usually older comedians or rappers since I only have liked 3 women and I say comedians because I'm interested in funny guys. I'll be the first to admit I am an age-ist and that probly helps me to seem racist. Usher would probly have that humor that appealed to me from what I've seen but he's too old for me to even consider (if he met me and god forbid actually liked me)
I didn't say sexual orientation is related to racism but it is in this sense because I'm the last person to be attracted to any woman at all so if something soo unlikely would happen wouldn't the other? I guess you all are confusing my mentally fucked up/trans-aged nature with racist.
I will admit that I'm probly a little racist towards Latinos though that is because where I live they don't speak English but Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin for example are fine because I can understand them.

What I mean by the last part is people appear to be racist but I think deep down inside if they realized that everyone has mixed backgrounds (Pure Native Americans are a rare percentage of people) unless of course they were a loner like me but I am convinced that it'd be rare to find someone as extreme as me. I'm sure if I was a social butterfly IRL I would most likely find someone of another race appealing.
Top Secret Researcher
#238 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 5:35 PM
It's just they haven't shown me to have the kind of humor that's appealing TO ME in a romantic sort of way.

You're still saying that you're not attracted to black people because NO BLACK PERSON IN THE WORLD has the personality or sense of humor that you find attractive.

Quote:
I don't really care if I'm seen as a racist or not.

Yet you're protesting it pretty hard.

Quote:
I brought it into the debate because it is relevant (I wasn't playing someone that no one understands because it actually does happen to me). No one knows what my perspective is except me so how can they say I'm racist when I have my reasons for not being attracted to people.

You have your reasons for not being attracted to black people. That really doesn't sound good.

You said that your perspective is that no black person on the planet has a personality or sense of humor that appeals to you. That sounds racist. Unless your perspective is actually different, then I'd say we have enough of an idea of it.

Quote:
I didn't deny the chance. I put that in my post that there is a likelihood it's just small. Maybe you missed that part. Also I would have called myself racist until I started getting attracted to a few celebrity women. You would think that I'd be attracted to guys of other races by now since being attracted to a woman is the last thing I would be.

"I can't date other women because lesbians don't have personalities or humor that I find attractive, but I'm not homophobic because I'm attracted to black people, so you'd think I'd be attracted to them by now."

Does that sound right to you?

Quote:
You're right that it's weird that I only use African American men as an example but I used them because I have only been approached by those of that race. I felt bad about it when the one guy asked me to the prom and I said no. Are you saying I should have said yes because I almost did since he was so nice to me but I didn't think that was fair when I didn't have any feelings toward him (and he was in my class so I got a good perception of what he was like as a person).

Nobody's saying that. You're creating a strawman.

Quote:
Maybe alone saying I never would date other races sounds bad but there are many Caucasians that don't have the qualities I like as well. It's just very unlikely that it would be people of other races I'm going to fall in love with because usually in the media African Americans are either older comedians or rappers and African Americans are the most prevalent. Asians are barely in the media at all as well as Latinos. As for IRL, I'm not a social butterfly so the only thing I can go on is the personality they show to the public and Caucasians are the only one that has shown what appeals to me.

Psst. Want to hear a secret? Lean in close. Closer. Closer.

CAUCASIANS ARE IN CHARGE OF THE MEDIA.

You're judging potential partners mainly because of their portrayal in the media? Well, the media is bent toward making Caucasians look good. Go into a store and look at the covers of those magazines at the checkout line. Unless it's specifically aimed at non-Caucasians or the person in question is in there for a "shocking secret", the highly-glamoured models are Caucasian or light enough to pass.

Why are Asians and Latinos barely in the media? Because the media is racist. Don't you think it's strange? The Hispanic population is about as high as the African American pop, but you rarely see them in major roles. Part of this is because there aren't many actors, but more of it is that you can't do much with them. The stock roles are chosen: Hispanics are either fiery Latino Lovers, the butt of jokes, or the person who can't speak English and so hampers communication. Asians are the nerdy ones, the ones obsessed with perfection, or the innocent love interest.

And when you're not watching media designed for Caucasians, it's designed to appeal to other races. People whose cultural background you probably don't understand, since you haven't lived it. Clearly, there's going to be a sense that you're missing things, that you don't fully understand this.

Quote:

The other day, I was in a fast food restaurant using the wi-fi. This guy comes in, gets a water cup, and tries to chat me up. He was getting soda with his water cup and one of the workers told him to leave. He did, and muttered a racial slur at her under his breath. This can't have been a way to hurt her, since he as far enough away that she couldn't have heard it. That was solely to express hatred toward her race.

I've seen Caucasian customers who have a choice between cashiers: white and non-white. If the non-Caucasian is black, they'll all stack up at that register. If she's Hispanic or Asian, they'll all stack up at the Caucasian register. I've seen customers who see a non-Caucasian at the register and when a Caucasian pops up and looks at the screen, they start talking to them instead. This also happens when the cashier is female and the other worker is male.

My own mom has said some very disturbing things about Hispanics in the past. "If the government is going to let Hispanics into the country, they should pay for everyone's Spanish lessons!"; "If I ever get a store, I'm going to put up a sign saying 'No, we do NOT speak Spanish'!". I was in third grade before I realized that "immigrant" was not actually a cuss word.

There are so many small ways to express racism. Some of these are unconscious. I don't think some of these people realize that they do racist things. How can people pretend to be racist by choosing a Caucasian cashier over another?
Field Researcher
#239 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 6:19 PM Last edited by Drakesecaravdis : 6th Jul 2014 at 7:24 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
You're still saying that you're not attracted to black people because NO BLACK PERSON IN THE WORLD has the personality or sense of humor that you find attractive.

Yet you're protesting it pretty hard.

You have your reasons for not being attracted to black people. That really doesn't sound good.

You said that your perspective is that no black person on the planet has a personality or sense of humor that appeals to you. That sounds racist. Unless your perspective is actually different, then I'd say we have enough of an idea of it.

"I can't date other women because lesbians don't have personalities or humor that I find attractive, but I'm not homophobic because I'm attracted to black people, so you'd think I'd be attracted to them by now."

Does that sound right to you?

Nobody's saying that. You're creating a strawman.

Psst. Want to hear a secret? Lean in close. Closer. Closer.

CAUCASIANS ARE IN CHARGE OF THE MEDIA.

You're judging potential partners mainly because of their portrayal in the media? Well, the media is bent toward making Caucasians look good. Go into a store and look at the covers of those magazines at the checkout line. Unless it's specifically aimed at non-Caucasians or the person in question is in there for a "shocking secret", the highly-glamoured models are Caucasian or light enough to pass.

Why are Asians and Latinos barely in the media? Because the media is racist. Don't you think it's strange? The Hispanic population is about as high as the African American pop, but you rarely see them in major roles. Part of this is because there aren't many actors, but more of it is that you can't do much with them. The stock roles are chosen: Hispanics are either fiery Latino Lovers, the butt of jokes, or the person who can't speak English and so hampers communication. Asians are the nerdy ones, the ones obsessed with perfection, or the innocent love interest.

And when you're not watching media designed for Caucasians, it's designed to appeal to other races. People whose cultural background you probably don't understand, since you haven't lived it. Clearly, there's going to be a sense that you're missing things, that you don't fully understand this.

The other day, I was in a fast food restaurant using the wi-fi. This guy comes in, gets a water cup, and tries to chat me up. He was getting soda with his water cup and one of the workers told him to leave. He did, and muttered a racial slur at her under his breath. This can't have been a way to hurt her, since he as far enough away that she couldn't have heard it. That was solely to express hatred toward her race.

I've seen Caucasian customers who have a choice between cashiers: white and non-white. If the non-Caucasian is black, they'll all stack up at that register. If she's Hispanic or Asian, they'll all stack up at the Caucasian register. I've seen customers who see a non-Caucasian at the register and when a Caucasian pops up and looks at the screen, they start talking to them instead. This also happens when the cashier is female and the other worker is male.

My own mom has said some very disturbing things about Hispanics in the past. "If the government is going to let Hispanics into the country, they should pay for everyone's Spanish lessons!"; "If I ever get a store, I'm going to put up a sign saying 'No, we do NOT speak Spanish'!". I was in third grade before I realized that "immigrant" was not actually a cuss word.

There are so many small ways to express racism. Some of these are unconscious. I don't think some of these people realize that they do racist things. How can people pretend to be racist by choosing a Caucasian cashier over another?

I believe I didn't use the words "no black person in the world" I know I said never but that's not the same thing. That's better than using the word hate so lightly yet like I said society seems to think that it's more acceptable to hate a celebrity when they've done nothing to you (I've seen people do that on this very board and I wouldn't doubt if some of those same people thought I was racist)
I don't really care. People think I care about something when I don't but that is because I am a highly opinionated writer so I guess I care in a sense but it doesn't really make a difference because I'm not offended by it. My mood is very meh when I type these kinds of things. In fact if I did care I wouldn't be posting.

So wouldn't that mean if anyone's the racist one it is the media? I suppose you're right in a way about the media now that I think about it but they're cruel to everyone. Take the whole Lindsay Lohan thing for example, instead of letting the court just deal with her they'd rather make people be annoyed by her. Caucasians may be built up initially but once they crash and burn, they will tear them down. I think in a way the Caucasians are less lucky. It's better to be hated from the get go than to get that false hope.

Maybe pretend is the wrong word but they JUST act like they are. I just don't believe that anyone is actually racist just like I believe no one is actually a homophobe. Maybe that's me being optimistic for once in my life. They may act that way but if they're sociable people, they can break out of their shell and realize that many of us are not from one descent. The problem with me is again I'm not sociable and I think I'll always be that way. I also don't trust straight guys in general since a lot of them just want to get in your pants so there's that.
I guess like we said the media is different but I think outside of their job they'd probly be okay.
I suppose that last statement makes no sense when I'm very cynical about humanity but I don't know. I don't know what I'm saying with that last statement. I fight with myself about whether people are actually racist. On the one hand, humanity is cruel but on the other hand I think well how can most of these people actually be racist when most of us are "mudbloods" anyway?

Also with that part about the Latinos, like I said that probly is where I would be racist but are you saying that like it's really a wrong point of view? If you come to America you must speak English. I mean you don't see me saying le Francais to everyone and I love that language, even if I do and it so happens you don't understand I will translate. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it is a few but it's so many people. Maybe it's not all their fault, I'm sure the govt has a hand in it but where I live the place is littered with Latinos who don't speak English barely at all. I guess that's what also makes me seem racist in general. In my city, African Americans are often hood, Latino guys are often creeps that don't speak English and there's barely any Asians that I've seen. But when I think about it, I guess I'm the same way with anyone around here. If it wasn't for Caucasians approaching me at all, then I probly wouldn't have found anyone to date because my race isn't any better where I live. They're too redneck. I mean I'm redneck too since I've lived in Maryland my whole life but not in the same way. This is why it's easy to rely on the media because all I see are fishy people around here. I'm very hateful of my city. I mean not of individual people because I don't like to use the word hate but the city itself you know. I like my complex though and that's the biggest reason I'd find it hard to move.

So when I say that guys of other races don't have the personality that appeals to me, they never will because if there was an individual of another race that had what I was looking for, I would never come to know them so they might as well never exist. That's all I was literally saying. I just couldn't come to grips with putting it into words that anyone else would understand. I have a difficult time explaining myself as well as condensing but when I ask someone who thinks I write too much how to condense they just get quiet on me.
Top Secret Researcher
#240 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 10:39 PM
I just don't believe that anyone is actually racist just like I believe no one is actually a homophobe. Maybe that's me being optimistic for once in my life. They may act that way but if they're sociable people, they can break out of their shell ...

I believe you've put your finger on one part of the disagreement here: you're using the terms "racist" and "homophobe" in an unusual way -- if I read you correctly, you take those terms to mean that a person harbors some inherent, unredeemable and perhaps intentional evil. But you are arguing against people who use the terms in a different, more conventional way -- i.e. to describe a person whose actions stem from irrational prejudice.

To feel, or to act upon, irrational prejudice is something that any of us can do, especially if we've been trained and immersed in it. It is a human failing, not a unique identifying mark of some specific subgroup. We use terms like "racist" or "homophobe" to describe people who do it habitually or who seem resistant to taking into account the damage that it causes, not to imply that their soul is inherently or irredeemably evil. In other words, I think we're all agreeing that it is possible for someone who exhibits racist or homophobic behavior to, as you put it, break out of their shell. I try to do that myself, as from time to time I become aware that some assumption or attitude of mine, which I had not previous much thought about or questioned, causes hurt feelings that I hadn't intended.

I'm not denying that there are actual disagreements being expressed here. I just want to separate the disagreements from the misunderstandings or differences in language, and I believe I may have spotted one of the latter.

...and realize that many of us are not from one descent.

I agree that this would be helpful, especially if Americans would come to realize that the "white race" is more of a political invention than a biological fact. What I mean by this is that working-class white Americans -- many of whose ancestors were treated very badly as immigrants -- are encouraged to see their color as something important that they have in common with the richest white Americans, whereby they should identify with those richest Americans and defend them and vote in their favor, rather than seeing (1) all that they have in common with working-class people of other shades and (2) the disdain with which they are viewed by their supposed white brethren at the top.

Also with that part about the Latinos, like I said that probly is where I would be racist but are you saying that like it's really a wrong point of view? ... but where I live the place is littered with Latinos who ...

As a Latina I would say probably yes, I'd go with that being a wrong point of view. But I would also like to use this as an example of prejudice that is not the result of intentional malice, but of un-examined habit: most of us nowadays would not describe a place as "littered" with people of some ethnicity. Do you see what I mean?

Regards,
Ronnie.
Field Researcher
#241 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
I believe you've put your finger on one part of the disagreement here: you're using the terms "racist" and "homophobe" in an unusual way -- if I read you correctly, you take those terms to mean that a person harbors some inherent, unredeemable and perhaps intentional evil. But you are arguing against people who use the terms in a different, more conventional way -- i.e. to describe a person whose actions stem from irrational prejudice.

To feel, or to act upon, irrational prejudice is something that any of us can do, especially if we've been trained and immersed in it. It is a human failing, not a unique identifying mark of some specific subgroup. We use terms like "racist" or "homophobe" to describe people who do it habitually or who seem resistant to taking into account the damage that it causes, not to imply that their soul is inherently or irredeemably evil. In other words, I think we're all agreeing that it is possible for someone who exhibits racist or homophobic behavior to, as you put it, break out of their shell. I try to do that myself, as from time to time I become aware that some assumption or attitude of mine, which I had not previous much thought about or questioned, causes hurt feelings that I hadn't intended.

I'm not denying that there are actual disagreements being expressed here. I just want to separate the disagreements from the misunderstandings or differences in language, and I believe I may have spotted one of the latter.

I agree that this would be helpful, especially if Americans would come to realize that the "white race" is more of a political invention than a biological fact. What I mean by this is that working-class white Americans -- many of whose ancestors were treated very badly as immigrants -- are encouraged to see their color as something important that they have in common with the richest white Americans, whereby they should identify with those richest Americans and defend them and vote in their favor, rather than seeing (1) all that they have in common with working-class people of other shades and (2) the disdain with which they are viewed by their supposed white brethren at the top.

As a Latina I would say probably yes, I'd go with that being a wrong point of view. But I would also like to use this as an example of prejudice that is not the result of intentional malice, but of un-examined habit: most of us nowadays would not describe a place as "littered" with people of some ethnicity. Do you see what I mean?

Regards,
Ronnie.

I guess you're right. When I hear the term racist I think of people who shoot off the n word or don't want to be friends with them. I always thought it meant hate and I don't hate anyone but one individual and I try to not dislike anyone so most people I don't dislike.
I do know that I haven't seen any of another race that appeals to me and am convinced I never will and even in the sense that you said, I'm still not sure that's racism so much as it is being cynical though because I don't get attracted to random guys anyway whether they're Caucasian or not.
That's true I guess too, maybe littered wasn't the best word when all the races are a problem here but I felt littered was appropriate because there are just too many of those Latinos/Latinas. You obviously are fine in my book because you speak English pretty well it seems so. Maybe you're even better at it than me I'm thinking.
It just bothers me more in a way. I guess that's why I only put littered for Latinos because I can ignore rude people but it's hard to ignore when you can't understand the language and sometimes you need that understanding. It doesn't help them not to speak their language and it doesn't help us. The Latino guys can be a problem here because they're most often not going to say anything, they're just going to stare/smile if they're going to check you out. I mean straight guys can be creepy anyway but it makes it more creepy when they don't say anything and the last time a Latino guy checked me out he was older too.
Test Subject
#242 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 3:53 PM
Quote:
Would that be considered racist or a preference?

Preference
Lab Assistant
#243 Old 16th Jul 2014 at 1:27 AM
Well, I think this can't be considered as racism, just as preference. Because the most of the people use to prefer their own race, or sometimes, they prefer a specific race, but it's just their preference, their opinion & what they like. In conclussion: What the prefer.
Theorist
#244 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 4:50 AM
I felt littered was appropriate because there are just too many of those Latinos/Latinas. You obviously are fine in my book because you speak English pretty well it seems so.
To be clear, "littered" was a terrible choice of words because it implies that they are trash.

The Latino guys can be a problem here because they're most often not going to say anything, they're just going to stare/smile if they're going to check you out. I mean straight guys can be creepy anyway but it makes it more creepy when they don't say anything and the last time a Latino guy checked me out he was older too.
Oh, I think I can see a problem there. But it's not fair to anyone to observe faulty behavior in a few people of a selected race and translate that into a blanket statement over the whole race. It creates a false reality. There are creepy, silent, older staring guys in every race, and I say "race" in the spirit of acknowledging that there are specific ethnic backgrounds.

On topic:
Is it racist to not want to date someone based on the color of their skin? Well, it does sound racist. If you want that person's race to be lower in society, living in poverty and in a lower disparity in terms of income, opportunities, happiness, rights, etc, then yeah you're a racist, a bigot at best.
Field Researcher
#245 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 9:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Payoli_23
Well, I think this can't be considered as racism, just as preference. Because the most of the people use to prefer their own race, or sometimes, they prefer a specific race, but it's just their preference, their opinion & what they like. In conclussion: What the prefer.

How can you just prefer an entire race? You prefer chocolate cake over vanilla - but you don't just "prefer" an entire group of people. Preference implies static existence - that you can look at a group of people and tell they're all the same and never going to change and make your choice off of that. But, seeing as how you actually can't do that, you can't wholly prefer one race over another. That's silly.

It's prejudice at best, racist at worst. But it's more than preference. Don't delude yourself.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Lab Assistant
#246 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 9:42 PM
OK, from reading 2 threads it seems that it is only deemed racist if one is pale and only wants to date other pale people. I think that beauty is subjective and I have read that most people think that those who look like they are related to them are most conventionally attractive while those that find those that look very different from them find their looks exotic.

Personally, I don't date anyone and have never really been intimate or romantic with anyone (and I am over 2 decades old) but I only look at personality and intellect when choosing friends.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Top Secret Researcher
#247 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:49 AM
I guess I'm not old and tired enough yet to rule out the possibility that I'll find myself falling for someone I hadn't expected to fall for. It's not the idea of a preference that bothers me, it's the idea that someone can plan so specifically not to be attracted to anyone of a given race. If someone said they hadn't yet felt such an attraction, that wouldn't strike me the same way as their saying they just know they'll never want to.

My viewpoint is likely affected by two points about my own life that might not be true for others, whereby I acknowledge that other people's mileage might vary:
  1. I guess I've never asked someone out (nor accepted an invitation) from someone I didn't already know at least a little, so that we had some notion that we'd be able to stand an evening together. In that case at least, the arrangement is between two people, not between a person and a whole race.
  2. Although I pass for white, my background is mixed and I live in an area where that's very common. That is, not very many people could honestly check off only one box on a form, whereby it would be hard to apply a race-based "always date" or "never date" policy to them.
Lab Assistant
#248 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 11:55 PM
No, every has their preferences. Unless you say something like "I only date Asian guys because they're the only decent race", or "I don't date white girls because I dislike (something about Western culture)", because that's assuming one thing about a whole race. If it's just like "I usually only date black guys because I like their looks and most black people I've met are nice, ect." it's fine as long as you don't discriminate against the races you DON'T date.
Instructor
#249 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by quesadildos
No, every has their preferences. Unless you say something like "I only date Asian guys because they're the only decent race", or "I don't date white girls because I dislike (something about Western culture)", because that's assuming one thing about a whole race. If it's just like "I usually only date black guys because I like their looks and most black people I've met are nice, ect." it's fine as long as you don't discriminate against the races you DON'T date.

I agree with you.

One thing I will NOT do is talk bad about whichever race of men Im not attracted to.
Especially a male from my own race.

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Theorist
#250 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
I agree with you.

One thing I will NOT do is talk bad about whichever race of men Im not attracted to.
Especially a male from my own race.

You're just either presuming that literally no male of that "race" could ever be attractive to you, or pushing whatever negative traits you associate with what doesn't get you going onto an enormous group of people without knowing them based on your stereotype. Billions of people.

Page 10 of 15