Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2017 at 10:05 PM
Default Favorite map and height for making worlds?
So what I want to know is what size worlds do you guys usually choose to make? And what heights? Do you like a huge mountainous world or a smaller islands? Not many people ever use 100 height I dont think, is there a reason why its not popular? I usually use the 200 height as its in the middle XD
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 6:37 AM
I am curious, how do you know what people are using? Is there a way to see in a premade world in CAW what was used? I don't think so as you have other threads about this and your own world. As I said there I always use 100 and set the max to 300 normally. Then I can work anywhere in that range. Nowadays I like to work on medium size maps. It give me just enough room to do what I want.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 8:39 AM
I have released only one world with a large map (2048x2048), my current world in the making is medium sized (1024x1024). I guess after an initial joy about all the space a large map offers it quickly comes to questions of performance - large maps are more at risk to lag, especially if you use all that space for lots and objects. So medium sized maps seems a reasonable alternative - less prone to lag but still enough space to realise most ideas. Also, it takes less time to build

About height - 100 is only suitable for rather flat worlds. With a height of 300 you are on the safe side. You can have higher sizes with SuperCaw, but I don't see much benefit for this unless you have a very specific idea for a world that would require more height allowance.

Daisylee, you can easily see the size of the map if you export the height map - the size of the .png-file (pixels) is the world size.

There is no way to know the initial height of a map in a premade world though, it's a matter of guessing. You can approach this by using the "import files"-method, just as if you wanted to edit it. You can make 3 shell worlds and set height to 300, 200 and 100 respectively, then import the premade world files into each version. The one that looks best is the height the original creator chose... but of course this is not a very scientific approach. Or you try to guess from the colour of the height map - the darker it gets, the higher the world is set. But this is neither very scientific nor reliable, too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I am curious, how do you know what people are using? Is there a way to see in a premade world in CAW what was used? I don't think so as you have other threads about this and your own world. As I said there I always use 100 and set the max to 300 normally. Then I can work anywhere in that range. Nowadays I like to work on medium size maps. It give me just enough room to do what I want.

I dont know I just want to see what other world makers like best It sucks you cant tell but like Vincent T. said I have now started to export the height map and see what fits best.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Sep 2017 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
I have released only one world with a large map (2048x2048), my current world in the making is medium sized (1024x1024). I guess after an initial joy about all the space a large map offers it quickly comes to questions of performance - large maps are more at risk to lag, especially if you use all that space for lots and objects. So medium sized maps seems a reasonable alternative - less prone to lag but still enough space to realise most ideas. Also, it takes less time to build

About height - 100 is only suitable for rather flat worlds. With a height of 300 you are on the safe side. You can have higher sizes with SuperCaw, but I don't see much benefit for this unless you have a very specific idea for a world that would require more height allowance.

Daisylee, you can easily see the size of the map if you export the height map - the size of the .png-file (pixels) is the world size.

There is no way to know the initial height of a map in a premade world though, it's a matter of guessing. You can approach this by using the "import files"-method, just as if you wanted to edit it. You can make 3 shell worlds and set height to 300, 200 and 100 respectively, then import the premade world files into each version. The one that looks best is the height the original creator chose... but of course this is not a very scientific approach. Or you try to guess from the colour of the height map - the darker it gets, the higher the world is set. But this is neither very scientific nor reliable, too.

Yeah 300 you can build huge mountains! But I might use 200 as doubt i'd need as high as 300, I'm thinking of starting a new world so probs will also pic a medium map, doubt i have the effort to finish a large map XD