Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
People aren't very good at thinking what other people tell them they have to think. More specifically, people with depression aren't very good at thinking encouraging or philosophical thoughts that other people tell them they have to think. It's a characteristic of the condition, part of what distinguishes it from merely being in a bad mood.

But like I said I had depression and I never wanted to do that. I don't understand how you could not be afraid to do it.
I wanted to completely give up on my life but not on life itself. OK I guess maybe I could understand how they could consider doing it but to actually attempt it?
If they are deranged then wouldn't they be so deranged that they'd have fearful thoughts about what happens when they die and chicken out?
I don't care how mentally ill a person is. I would think that everybody would be afraid to die before their time (unless they had cancer). Maybe if they're religious and acted so sure that they were going to a peaceful place but that's obviously not all suicide attempters. Also the thing is they could easily fail. And in the case of ceasing to exist, it's better to feel something than nothing at all. How do they know what it's going to be like if they feel "nothing"? How do people grasp the concept of feeling nothing? How does that even make sense? Does that make more sense to mentally ill people? I'm mentally ill and I think that helps it to not make sense to me.

The only way it makes sense to me is if they were prescribed medicine. I think medicine actually encourages people to commit suicide sometimes. I don't remember what exactly it was about Zoloft but I think it made me more depressed when I started to take it.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 11:00 PM
^Not one case of a mental illness is like the other, so generalizing based on your own symptoms is futile.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakesecaravdis
But like I said I had depression and I never wanted to do that.

So do I and neither have I. In my case, it was not fear of what would come after, but resistance to the amount of effort it would take to carry out the project. There didn't seem to be any point. Conversely, when I have been able to see any point in taking any kind of action, the action I wanted to take hasn't been suicide. There are all kinds of reasons not to kill yourself; I've found one, and you've found another, and for most people one's enough, right?

But I recognize that I've been fortunate in that respect. As Rawra said, we're talking about a brain disease so we have to allow that people's thinking will be affected by it; they may or may not come to the conclusions that other people often reach easily and naturally.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 6:18 AM
I don't think it's funny, ESPECIALLY if said person has a history of depression/anxiety.
Theorist
#55 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 6:40 AM
I don't think that telling people to kill themselves is meant as a joke.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 7:57 PM
It's not acceptable because it's not even funny.
Field Researcher
#57 Old 20th Jul 2014 at 4:15 PM
I don't think it's an appropriate thing to say but I've heard it said as a joke & it was funny.

I think context matters. The situation that it was said in was light & amongst best friends & no one was offended because we all got what was being said. I wouldn't dare say it seriously (especially to anyone who's anything less than a best friend) & I can't imagine it being said any other time butttttt I don't think it's something that's 100% never OK to say.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Test Subject
#58 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:25 AM
I had a coworker say this to me when I was a teenager, and it has to be the single most hurtful thing anyone has ever said to me, especially since I was pretty depressed at the time. (He was the stupid variety of teenager, though, so I forgive him, and hope he's grown into a person who's not such an asshat.)
The thing is, you can never know what's going on inside another person's head--hell, your 'joke' could be the last straw.
Unfortunately, the people who actually have to stop and wonder if it's appropriate to use something like "kill yourself" as a joke are often lost causes anyway and stupid, insensitive shit like this always comes flying out of their mouths. At least that's been my experience.
Test Subject
#59 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 9:43 PM
When I really hear people say that "joke" (should this even be called a joke?) they never fully realize that they actually mean, END YOUR LIFE. They say it jokingly, but in reality they might really consider it, if that person made them that miserable. I've certainly considered it.
Test Subject
#60 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 7:53 PM
This brings up very sad memories. There is a phenomenon among young people that has repeated throughout the world and different cultures. Serial suicide. I am old and have know personally of this tragic trend. Who knows what would have become of those that joined their friends in the selfish way out. Grow up and think. Life does teach.
Test Subject
#61 Old 28th Jun 2015 at 2:42 AM
Never acceptable. I have been dealing with it since 6th grade and have anxiety and depression, and it has not made my life better in any way, so no, never okay.
Theorist
#62 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 3:05 AM
Even when I'm a big fan of crude and vulgar humor, telling people to kill themselves is simply not done. You don't know who you're talking to and even with smiley's you don't know how they react. In my time as a moderator on a Dutch football community (at my time of quiting 250,000 + members) we banned people using this extreme humor, up to perm bans based on their posting history.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 7:06 AM Last edited by Nillson : 11th Jul 2015 at 4:05 AM.
Its just as funny as hitting your wife or shaking a newborn baby
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 2:40 AM
Here is my opinion on this: I fucking hate it. I have attempted suicide before and I have lost a friend to suicide. It's not a funny joke. At all. It never was and never will be. I block anybody who uses it on my Facebook, it is such a terrible thing and it is a crime if they end up taking their life.
Scholar
#65 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 4:34 AM
No. Not acceptable. It's not funny at all. Imagine saying that to someone battling serious depression, someone having suicidal thoughts, and then they actually commit suicide. I'm dealing with depression right now, trust me it really sucks and I don't feel like myself most of the time, and even though I haven't really had suicidal thoughts I wouldn't want someone telling me to kill myself because it just might actually trigger the thought. I wouldn't care if they meant it as a joke, it's not something I find appropriate. I'm not offended easily, but telling people to kill themselves or any sort of violence towards women and children I won't tolerate.
Instructor
#66 Old 8th Jun 2016 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BMVagabond
Here is my opinion on this: I fucking hate it. I have attempted suicide before and I have lost a friend to suicide. It's not a funny joke. At all. It never was and never will be. I block anybody who uses it on my Facebook, it is such a terrible thing and it is a crime if they end up taking their life.

Necrophilia isn't cool. Please stahp.
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 8:39 PM
Saying this to anyone you're not extremely close too either as an insult or a joke, not okay. But I and my closest friend always throw this, along with other things making light of suicide/rape/terrible things we don't stand for, because we've both had a shitty upbringing with all of the above and we are able to make fun of it. We tend to say these types of things around other friends, accidentally, and if they have a problem with it we address it, apologize and make a mental note to censor ourselves around them because we know we have a twisted sense of humor that is not acceptable with most people and we don't want to cause anyone pain in any way.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 30th Jul 2016 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by miinnii9
I've been frequenting a certain tumblr tag lately, the "onision" one to be exact.

Now let me just point out that I think this man shouldn't even be considered a man: he is a slut-shamer, a sexist, an abuser, possible a pedo, and all around not a very nice human.
BUT, the tag often includes raging about how Onsion says "kill yourself" as a joke pretty frequently.
I think this is entirely wrong, and so do most people who post in the tag.

It would be nice to hear some unbiased opinions however.
So acceptable, or not acceptable?

It varies on who you're saying it to.

If you and a close friend use it all the time with one another and you both know that the other isn't wishing ill will, then I'd say cool. Do you.

If you're directing it towards an audience of people you don't really no, it should only be acceptable if it's also acceptable for you to be slapped in the face.

"It all takes time"
Test Subject
#69 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:02 AM
I mean, as someone who hears it A LOT and says it to my friends (and boyfriend), it doesn't really bother me all that much tbh. I can respect that some people take things to heart and it isn't something I would say to some random person but I also don't think it's impossible to make jokes out of traditionally difficult subjects. Some people use really messed up jokes to heal from trauma. That said, I am heavily involved with drag culture which is probably where part of my attitude about it comes from.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 7:22 PM
I don't do tumblr and have no idea what you're talking about but I agree that the term isn't cute at all.
I'm all for free speech, but there are a million other things you can say....like FOH.

I can also agree that people these days have developed the 'butthurt trait' but suicide isn't a joke and many people entertain the thought everyday and odn't need a reminder from a small dick that can't articulate himself/herself well enough to be get a point across and be respectful. It is possible...

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Test Subject
#71 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 7:32 PM
No, never. No matter what.
Test Subject
#72 Old 28th Feb 2017 at 10:34 PM
Default It's not ok ever!!!!!!
It's just asking for trouble
Instructor
#73 Old 10th Mar 2017 at 7:17 PM
If you think it can never be funny then I guess you have never seen Fawlty Towers.

Oh and I say this as someone who has depression and has tried it before.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Alchemist
#74 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 5:46 PM
It's as funny as saying "get terminal cancer"....
IE: Only funny to oblivious teenagers who wouldn't know a serious trouble if it bit them on the ass. They have no life experience, so it never crosses their minds that the people they're being so loose-lipped to might actually have experience with their "joke". Wonder what those ~edgy teens~ would think about making jokes about slavery or genocide, especially around their colored friends' grandparents, or Jewish people. Probably nothing, because they weren't thinking in the first place when they said "KYS". Or along the lines of "Oh I would never say it if I knew they were around"--then you're just a cowardly POS who can't take responsibility for the garbage coming out of your mouth, and you should probably just learn how to close it.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#75 Old 1st Apr 2017 at 11:29 AM
I personally think it is never okay to tell someone to kill themselves regardless of what they have done in the past or present.

Page 3 of 4