Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 3:49 PM
Default Sims and the law of gravity
So, I'm not too sure whether this is the right place to post this sort of thing, considering I'm just asking about examples of sims denying the law of gravity.
And so I've been planning for a couple months now to make a mod to replace animations where sims are doing the impossible - such as when they plop toddlers into strollers in such a way, and teleport into their cars. Now I know many other examples of sims denying the law of gravity, but I'm not able to replace the animations of them doing so, so can anyone give me examples of an interaction or animation they've seen that I can replace the animation of? Because I can't think of any more examples myself in my mind, except for the example I gave above, where adults plop toddlers into the strollers, well I've made anims of them actually putting them in the stroller. Thanks for any examples!
(Though, before anybody puts ones such as making sims actually go in cars, or open doors with their hands, I can't do that sort of thing )

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 10:03 PM
I like your avatar! Happy Halloween!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I like your avatar! Happy Halloween!

Thank you! And same to you, though this year I'm not going trick or treating, I feel too old to

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Scholar
#4 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:19 PM
Walking on water is probably defying law of gravity. It's a glitch but still.
Fairies flying and witch's broom hover. They're magic but still. Oh and genies too.
I can't think of any at the moment.

If you like my mods. Consider supporting me on Patreon
Check out my website for updates on my mods and other work PuddingFace.wixsite.com
Check out my Youtube channel for tutorials(modding tutorials) and other content Youtube

Follow me on Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:27 PM
You mean law of physics? I don't think teleportation example relates much to gravity, and or even physics. I would call that 'video game logic' or 'unrealism'. Anyway, would sims apporting a plate when reaching from a table count?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PuddingFace
Walking on water is probably defying law of gravity. It's a glitch but still.
Fairies flying and witch's broom hover. They're magic but still. Oh and genies too.
I can't think of any at the moment.

(Oops, is it actually defying the law of gravity instead of denying the law of gravity? Dammit!)

I'd guess fairies and witches have rights in a way to do those kinds of things, but I don't have supernatural installed atm so I can't do anything about it right now

Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
You mean law of physics? I don't think teleportation example relates much to gravity, and or even physics. I would call that 'video game logic' or 'unrealism'. Anyway, would sims apporting a plate when reaching from a table count?

Idk actually, sorry it's just that I'm still a kid, so you can expect me to not know exactly what I'm saying sometimes. I thought about that one, though I'm not sure how well it would turn out in game considering there are multiple slots on a counter and I can't add in a feature to animate them selecting from each slot.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:36 PM
I can be dumb too even after turning 19.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Oct 2018 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I can be dumb too even after turning 19.

Eh don't call yourself dumb, I actually changed my post to not say that I'm dumb lol

Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 12:13 AM
I feel sorry for the game animators if they had to incorporate every single motion that goes into every single action, so I do understand why they did some shortcuts. They did a fair bit more shortcuts with TS3 and TS4 than TS2, though.

* Getting in and out of cars/bikes/boats/etc.? Teleport! (One of the many reasons I prefer TS2 is that vehicles were properly animated).
* Aging up babies? Throw them as high as you can and wait for them to come down as a toddler! (TS2 at least - can't quite remember the TS3 animation, but I think it's the burrito Simba impression).
* Need a spoon? A report card? A bowl? Need to clean up the garden? Or maybe you found a pet on the way back home? No worries! Your pockets hold pens, report cards, birds, cooking utensils, rakes, shovels, and even vehicles!
* In TS4 you can build a rocket with scrap metal in your back yard, and fly to a distant planet! How's that for realism?
* Bubble blower. Witches. Genies. Fairies. Need I say more?

Gravity? Physics? In Sims? Never heard of... :P
Alchemist
#10 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 12:14 PM
When sims use that VR game that came with the basegame (the goggles that look like a brick), they sometimes float and spin in midair
Though I haven't used that feature in literal years so I haven't been seeing it in my game.
I don't think it's something to be "fixed" though, as it's clearly meant to be outlandish.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I feel sorry for the game animators if they had to incorporate every single motion that goes into every single action, so I do understand why they did some shortcuts. They did a fair bit more shortcuts with TS3 and TS4 than TS2, though.

* Getting in and out of cars/bikes/boats/etc.? Teleport! (One of the many reasons I prefer TS2 is that vehicles were properly animated).
* Aging up babies? Throw them as high as you can and wait for them to come down as a toddler! (TS2 at least - can't quite remember the TS3 animation, but I think it's the burrito Simba impression).
* Need a spoon? A report card? A bowl? Need to clean up the garden? Or maybe you found a pet on the way back home? No worries! Your pockets hold pens, report cards, birds, cooking utensils, rakes, shovels, and even vehicles!
* In TS4 you can build a rocket with scrap metal in your back yard, and fly to a distant planet! How's that for realism?
* Bubble blower. Witches. Genies. Fairies. Need I say more?

Gravity? Physics? In Sims? Never heard of... :P

I know, there's pobably even more than a thousand animations in the whole game, so I'm giving my time to make some animations better
Sorry, I already said I couldn't do much about sims teleporting into cars, bikes, boats etc. and that I can't get babies to be held when having a birthday (since they age up while on the floor), and well it's just a thing about sims that they have everything in their pockets, so I can't do much about that either...

Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
When sims use that VR game that came with the basegame (the goggles that look like a brick), they sometimes float and spin in midair
Though I haven't used that feature in literal years so I haven't been seeing it in my game.
I don't think it's something to be "fixed" though, as it's clearly meant to be outlandish.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, I can't remember the last time my sims used those VR goggles, but I can replace that animation, thanks.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Nov 2018 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSweetToddler
I know, there's pobably even more than a thousand animations in the whole game, so I'm giving my time to make some animations better
Sorry, I already said I couldn't do much about sims teleporting into cars, bikes, boats etc. and that I can't get babies to be held when having a birthday (since they age up while on the floor), and well it's just a thing about sims that they have everything in their pockets, so I can't do much about that either...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, I can't remember the last time my sims used those VR goggles, but I can replace that animation, thanks.

Yeah, definitely looks like there are some hard limits to what can be added, similar to how it's nearly impossible to make new game effects (I've only been able to alter them in a limited way so far). In some cases like cars, it might just be better to do a round-end run and clone the fixer-upper car, utilize existing animations in combination with a new mesh.

Regardless, thank you for your work so far!
Test Subject
#14 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:09 AM
I agree with nitromon about the fact that a lot of animations, especially when Sims need to get into cars or something, would result in more lag. The CPU will probably run much and this could create a great impact on the performances.

Still, some animations can be pretty nice implemented, just for storytelling purposes for example. Some suggestions: I don't know when, but back in 2009 I remember that someone complained about the fact that when the sims cook they don't make full use of the kitchen counters and food storages. They don't open them to get food or something. I don't know how difficult it can be to implement this animation in the middle of the cooking process, but it would add much more realism.
The same can be said for the Supernatural Alchemy Station, which is used only in 2/3 and the sims seem not to bother about the existence of the nearby boiler.

Or, since you've already implemented animations for toddlers, there are a lot of people who would love to see them being bathed by their parents. Don't know, maybe the animations of the adult sims bathing pets can be recycled and readapted to toddlers, but still it is a lot of work.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:24 AM
Animations shouldn't affect game performance much, it's a set of keyframes.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Trainee Moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:31 AM Last edited by TheSweetToddler : 2nd Nov 2018 at 12:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
For the longest time since TS3 came out, it was one of the major complaints... the lack of detail animations. Most notable was the car. In TS2 they would open the car door, get into the car, and the car would back out of the drive way etc... while in TS2 they just walk to the road and magically poof into the car.

However, after a while of playing and learning more about TS3, especially with the addition of Island Paradise, I'm beginning to think it may not be simply lazy programming, or maybe it still is but a good coincidence. One of the reasons IP lags so much despite how much you clean it in comparison to other world is the constant sims getting into water taxi/boats/etc to cross locations. In normal worlds, they may get into a car and get dropped off at their location, but in IP, at times this becomes travel by car, switch to boat, then switch to car again before reaching the destination, tripling the amount of loading when a sim travels.

So I am wonder, if we restore some of those missing animations in TS3 from TS2, such as getting into cars, etc... how will that effect the game overall when the open world is running and you have dozens of sims driving around? etc...

Though, I have to say some animations are really good. Maybe some aren't but in those days a lot of game were manually animated, and these days it's almost all motion capture and other easy things, and I still manually animate and I can see how hard it can be to animate, and since I became an animator I understand why Sims 3 has less animations in and more "shortcuts" because it takes a lot of time and effort to make thousands of animations, like what EA did.

And speaking about cars and boats, I wouldn't bother wondering about how the game would be if sims were to properly get into cars, since I don't think anyone can do such a thing right now...or even never.

Quote: Originally posted by Thanders
I agree with nitromon about the fact that a lot of animations, especially when Sims need to get into cars or something, would result in more lag. The CPU will probably run much and this could create a great impact on the performances.

Still, some animations can be pretty nice implemented, just for storytelling purposes for example. Some suggestions: I don't know when, but back in 2009 I remember that someone complained about the fact that when the sims cook they don't make full use of the kitchen counters and food storages. They don't open them to get food or something. I don't know how difficult it can be to implement this animation in the middle of the cooking process, but it would add much more realism.
The same can be said for the Supernatural Alchemy Station, which is used only in 2/3 and the sims seem not to bother about the existence of the nearby boiler.

Or, since you've already implemented animations for toddlers, there are a lot of people who would love to see them being bathed by their parents. Don't know, maybe the animations of the adult sims bathing pets can be recycled and readapted to toddlers, but still it is a lot of work.

Eh, I admit I've made almost a thousand poses and maybe hundreds of animations before, and put them into the game and it doesn't affect it really.

And about making animations of sims getting utensils, pots or pans, I'd love to do that but it's just the cabinets don't have any draw bones on the rig that I can animate with, but I could edit the rig and make new animations, but still it's quite a bit of work for one person.

I can make the interaction for adults to bathe toddlers, but it might not work out as you'd think it would. Toddlers might bathe in clothes, or even have to hop into the tub themselves. And a while back I did look at the animations of sims bathing pets, and there are a lot of confusing ones like mirror animations, where the pet mirrors it's pose, and looping animations, and I'm not sure if I'd even have to animate the object as well, which adds up too. But at least it is possible.

Oh, and thanks @jje1000 I still wonder how EA made/converted the snr. files and other effects and audios

Mad Poster
#18 Old 2nd Nov 2018 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSweetToddler
And speaking about cars and boats, I wouldn't bother wondering about how the game would be if sims were to properly get into cars, since I don't think anyone can do such a thing right now...or even never.

Oh, and thanks @jje1000 I still wonder how EA made/converted the snr. files and other effects and audios

I honestly wouldn't mind cars teleporting to the roads like before, but having more interactions with the cars is always far better.

Effects and new sounds I have no idea as sound files seem to have two components, the sound file and an index of what to play (the latter of which is difficult to decipher). However, replacing sounds is very easy:

http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...722#post5016722
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 7:47 AM
I have a little peeve with swing sets. Sims would look and feel better when swinging, if the timing were proportioned differently. Pendulum motion under gravity is pretty darn well understood nowadays.
Site Helper
#20 Old 3rd Nov 2018 at 7:24 PM
I like the teleporting cars. It makes underground garages so much easier, along with rooftop garages, and even just putting the car (actually Esmeralda's Giant Bat) in the attic.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook