Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 12:18 AM
Default Do you enjoy cooking?
When you cook, do you enjoy it when you have license to make dishes as you like? Do you try using new ingredients to change things up? Do you stick to traditional and time honored dishes your family loves since your grandmother's grandmother use to make it?

Me? I enjoy trying new dishes, both eating and cooking or baking, or adding natural food coloring from various vegetable, herb and superfood to fresh pasta products.

Lately, I volunteered to test out my father's attempts in fresh pasta. He used the wrong type of flour (all purpose), which created gluten, toughening the pasta. He passed the line between "al dente" and "rubber band" in the test linguini that it ended up being a dot. All-purpose flour has its limitations.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 12:38 AM
I like cooking, to some degree. I like when I'm able to experiment a little bit, and as long as I get to do it my way. I do tend to get tired of the everyday cooking, though.

I'm not particularly good at baking (I don't have much patience when it comes to baking with yeast, and I tend to stick to cake mixes), but I do like experimenting with center-filled chocolates and a couple of other things.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 8:30 PM
Currently learning to make colorful pasta.

I recently have downloaded a sample of the cook book, Pasta, Pretty Please and found activated charcoal (usually made from coconuts) is great for coloring pasta black and certain herbs in combination color the pasta chartreuse. But the list of recipes goes on a bit. But I plan on making argyle veggie lasagna when we get good enough.

Right now, I am my father's willing test subject and I will buy the full book in a couple weeks.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jan 2019 at 10:40 PM
I cook for a living and I do enjoy it although sometimes it gets boring and tiring. I love baking as well and come up with "recipes" just out of my head. I rarely follow recipes exactly and am surprised that my food comes out very delicious even when I just "eyeball" my ingredients. Although the graham cracker crust I made for my pumpkin cheesecake today was a bit crumbly the rest of it was very good. Light and airy and sort of melted in my mouth. I didn't follow a recipe, I only had time to glance at an online recipe to just get the basic stuff needed. Voile!

I started out in the kitchen when I was very young - my mom had me peeling carrots and potatoes as soon as I could reach the sink. I always liked to help and made Jello and Pudding for desserts. I felt so grown-up. I would add "dream whip" and even sprigs of mint to the finished product (dad had small herb garden). I would use my grandma's fancy wine glasses as dishes for said jello desserts. I never once thought cooking would end up being my "career". The Galloping Gormet was popular at the time. I think everyone watched that show cause he was just so ...weird and funny?

I have learned alot of basics from watching cooking shows on TV, Martha Stewart, Rachael Ray and Lidia's Italy and America's Test Kitchen on PBS are really the only ones I watch. Learned how to cook eggs and chicken breast perfectly from Martha! My mom and grandma were great cooks too, so guess it rubbed off on me? The only cookbook I really rely on is my 30 year old Betty Crocker Cookbook.

So, I just know that experimenting is ok and fun! And those cake mixes? Those are so easy to change up - try adding a bit of sour cream, fruit juice or heck....even some fruit jello mix (put in frosting as well to match) to make it different. Apple juice and a couple dashes of cinnamon goes really well in chocolate cake mix. Add a can of orange soda to a yellow cake mix to make Orange Crush Cake. Add a can of fruit cocktail to a white cake - you just made Fruit Cocktail Cake. Top with whipped cream, chill. The possibilites are endless! (anything liquid replaces the water/milk in the recipe).

One other thing I will mention - I don't do complicated. For me the best meals are pretty basic, simple and quick and easy to prepare. I love "One Pot" dishes and casseroles. You can throw anything cooked, in almost any combination into a casserole dish and you have supper. Just remember to add cheese - cheese makes EVERYTHING delicious!!!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jan 2019 at 11:11 PM Last edited by Bigsimsfan12 : 23rd Jan 2019 at 11:00 AM.
I use to. Both my current and ex-fiances have both been chefs, and I've always found it nerve-wrecking to cook in their presence if they know how to cook what I'm making. It's why I managed to make Takoyaki a few months ago but somehow failed at boil-in-the-bag rice last week.

Baking is more my thing.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2019 at 12:38 PM
I adore cook, even If I have bad mood, cooking can help me to relax
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Jan 2019 at 9:50 PM
Hate it. It's probably the worst chore, except gardening (insects, ew!). As much as I love all sorts of foods, I would rather clean and make sure the entire house is spotless than cook anything.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 1:57 AM
A well seasoned cast iron pan is as non-stick as teflon and can tolerate much higher temperatures. I've been able to slide fried eggs around in them. These are fun.
But normal folk see a well seasoned cast iron pan and think it's dirty, and then "clean" it down to the iron because who wants to eat food that came out of a dirty pan.

Did you ever wonder why iron without carbon is called iron even if it's cast as something. Add carbon to the iron and it becomes steel, an alloy of iron and carbon. But add too much carbon and it becomes cast iron, even if it is not cast as something. Who makes the names for these things?

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jan 2019 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
A well seasoned cast iron pan is as non-stick as teflon and can tolerate much higher temperatures. I've been able to slide fried eggs around in them. These are fun.
But normal folk see a well seasoned cast iron pan and think it's dirty, and then "clean" it down to the iron because who wants to eat food that came out of a dirty pan.

Did you ever wonder why iron without carbon is called iron even if it's cast as something. Add carbon to the iron and it becomes steel, an alloy of iron and carbon. But add too much carbon and it becomes cast iron, even if it is not cast as something. Who makes the names for these things?

I don't know about you, but if it comes to dishwashing, I become defiant and protest. After mentioning in the career thread my stint as a dishwasher, you can probably understand why, if I was to marry the man of my dreams, he's on dish detail. I cook, he cleans. No exceptions.

Space Pony
#11 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:05 AM
I am a really good cook and baker. People are disappointed that I don't do it more. I am always hounded and begged to make dishes for parties and potlucks. I make a lot of different things, traditional and experiments which always come out good, even if the first couple times they aren't neat looking, but they taste good though. I mostly make traditional Mexican dishes I learned from my family as they are comfort food that remind me of growing up.

Dag-Dag