Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Sure, not many of the backstories were particularly engaging or intricate like those of TS2, but they at least gave you something to work with, and actually had the relationships match their backstories *coughunlikeTS4cough*.

Yes. I dislike how Nancy is is a criminal in TS4, my favourite part of the Landgraabs was their business. AND Nancy in TS4 Does NOT have the evil trait, and has a business trait. Plain odd. And that "Alternate universe" thing I mildly dislike. Why not carry on from TS2's story?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MisterSimmy
Yes. I dislike how Nancy is is a criminal in TS4, my favourite part of the Landgraabs was their business. AND Nancy in TS4 Does NOT have the evil trait, and has a business trait. Plain odd. And that "Alternate universe" thing I mildly dislike. Why not carry on from TS2's story?

The Landgraab's presence in TS4 doesn't even make sense as far as their history goes. The name was always associated with being "old money" so to speak with the idea being that they were continually growing their influence through land grabbing. So, why is Geoffrey a Secret Agent and Nancy a Criminal? In TS4, they're like any other potential rich family.

And that "alternate universe" crap was just a way of handwaving around certain things for long time sims players. Such as Nighat being the Calientes' mother in TS2, Alexander and Cassandra being closer together in age, etc.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 2:56 PM
And that's exactly why I don't give two shits about Sims canon. You can't have canon without being consistent about it, and without it making sense. I'm sure the Landgraabs are in my game somewhere. Mum's called Nancy Goldwin now, I think, and dad's suddenly a vain New York businessman by the name of mr. Edwin T. Rump. Name pending. I was thinking of Avery J. Danver. Sounds nicer and less orange. I'd call him T.J. Danver but that sounds like a cheap retail outlet.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#29 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Jathom95 : 12th Jun 2018 at 3:16 PM.
@GrijzePilion Heh, yeah. I typically have my own stories/ideas for them anyway if I decide to play any premades, but the idea of consistency is key "should" still apply between games. Because otherwise, surprise, that must mean that *gasp* the Sims team must not care enough in the first place. Why do they think people got so upset over this with TS4? Just a passing glance at TS2 shows far more work went into individual families and their wants/desires. It was one of the only times the premades were interesting enough to play constantly. Nowadays, it's usually all my sims that are created and played.

Mad Poster
#30 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 3:57 PM
As far as canon and worldbuilding goes, I'm a very Star Trek sort of person. I want everything explained and clear. Everything has to make sense within the internal logic of the franchise. And I want there to be a believable canvas for these stories. The world needs to feel real. Now of course that doesn't mean much nowadays, seeing as both Star Trek and The Sims have been trying to reinvent the wheel (and failing, albeit not financially) but if you can't be consistent, then what can you be?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#31 Old 12th Jun 2018 at 5:17 PM
Quote:
As far as canon and worldbuilding goes, I'm a very Star Trek sort of person. I want everything explained and clear. Everything has to make sense within the internal logic of the franchise. And I want there to be a believable canvas for these stories. The world needs to feel real. Now of course that doesn't mean much nowadays, seeing as both Star Trek and The Sims have been trying to reinvent the wheel (and failing, albeit not financially) but if you can't be consistent, then what can you be?

Exactly. I mean, let's look at The Sims itself. It has always, since its inception, been a satirical imitation of reality. You can play as realistically and true-to-life as you want, but the heart and soul of The Sims has always been its imaginative qualities and the ability to shape the game into whatever you want. That's the beauty of it all.

So, why then have they started falling short the last few years? Because The Sims is losing its identity. The Sims team is losing touch with its playerbase, adding what *they* think is fun and necessary, not their fans. We're losing that sense of absolute control of our games. TS4 may have some nice little features and things about it here and there, but at its core it's a shallow, meme-filled, bug ridden shell of a game with a broken, stitched-together emotions system.

Field Researcher
#32 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:40 AM
Moonlight Falls is my go-to world, and I HATE the Crumplebottoms (not all Crumplebottoms, just the one in moonlight falls) The Swains, and the MacDuff families.

I hate the Swains because I hate Twilight (The Van Goulds get a pass since only Tristan is a reference to Twilight) and the MacDuffs because I hate families with millions of kids. I can't explain the Crumplebottoms though.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 10:44 AM
Wainwright and Alvi families for no explicable reason. I just don't like them idling around the town.
Page 2 of 2