Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 1:59 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game keeps crashing even on fresh install
Okay I'm starting to loose my mind, my game just keeps crashing after like 15-40minutes of gameplay on random occasions.
It always throws the "Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION" error in "Sims2Exception" logs.

I went through the whole FAQ on this site, through various threads releated to this exception code I could find, documents and install files are brand new, didn't put a single piece of CC since reinstalling.
Removed bad CCs - crashing, removes CC altogether - crash, removed neighbourhoods/saves - still crashing, removed whole sims 2 document folder - same deal, uninstalled cleared registry installed again - guess what it still crashes!
I'm out of ideas to try, it used to happen only on community lots before or so I thought (I mostly played on comm lots, vacation lots etc), now it also crashed twice when loading back into Veronaville from an university map and once when clicking on an empty house in strangetown...

I've attached one of the crash logs, maybe it'll help
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2018.07.23 02.01.13.txt (12.5 KB, 4 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 2:22 AM
1: What are your computer specifications? (Processor+speed/RAM/Windows version/graphic card/etc...)
2: Have you done changes to the install files after the last reinstal, such as the 4 GB patch or using the Graphic Rules program (or edited the files manually)? If not, have you tried to apply the 4GB patch?
3: Have you changed the Compatibility mode for the shortcut or EXE you start the game with? (under right-click/Properties) - just tell us if you have done this step, don't do it if you haven't already done it.
4: Which drives did you install the game and the saved games on? I see in the excepion file that the saved game is on the D drive. Could be an issue if you've got the game on one drive and the saved game on another. Might not be an issue if the D drive is the main one.

The UC is known for having some issues with Windows 10, if that's the OS you have. Most of the issues are fixable, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:40 AM
@simmer22 - My specs are as follows (not surewhat else is needed):
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @3.40 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 1703)
2. I did not tinker with the install at all, I did try the 4GB trick before reinstalling tho to try fix it with no changes.
3. No I did not.
4. The documents are on C but game is on D, I don't want to hog my SDD with the game, it'd leave me with only 2gb of free space.
I won't be able to try the 2018 patch untill october since all my DVDs are at home.

Edit: Added the config log.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DANKMEMES-config-log.txt (10.1 KB, 2 downloads)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:46 AM
It's possibly your AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series. AMD released a driver update that causes havoc for directX9 games a few months back. Did you update to the newer Adrelinin drivers? Try rolling it back if you did. https://community.amd.com/thread/215672 And also maybe reinstall directX9. For me nothing worked, I had to buy a new NVIDEA card.

Also check that your 4gb patch is still on. Things like updates can remove it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:49 AM
@joandsarah77 - I'm on an old patch 18.2.1 cause newer/older updates messed with my graphics and fps in another game.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:50 AM
That doesn't sound old to me, when was that? It was an 18 something patch that broke things.

edit: You do not want that. https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-ar...ease-Notes.aspx That is one of the adrenalin updates. They say they resolved some issues, but I don't see Sims 2 in there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 3:56 AM
@joandsarah77 - Oh man, if that's what's causing the crashes then I'll have to drop this game until they push a fix for it, if ever.
if I downgrade to anything earlier the sub game I play will perform like trash again and it's way more important than this game
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:10 AM
Check your 4gbt patch and maybe check directx9 first. I hope it isn't that update. :/

One thing that 'helped' me was I could play if I only added in a very small amount of content. For me though sims 2 is my most important game as well as my 12 gigs of content, so I bought a new graphics card.

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 4:33 AM
@joandsarah77 - I'll try that tomorrow and see if it helps. I'm not going to even try and put any CC untill I solve this first.
Even before that I used 1.8gb of mods (4k files), now reduced it to 1gb (2k files), sorting everything so there's no doubles or mis matches.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It's possibly your AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series. AMD released a driver update that causes havoc for directX9 games a few months back. Did you update to the newer Adrelinin drivers? Try rolling it back if you did. https://community.amd.com/thread/215672 And also maybe reinstall directX9. For me nothing worked, I had to buy a new NVIDEA card.

Also check that your 4gb patch is still on. Things like updates can remove it.

I am afraid to update my NVIDEA card and now even more.
Or is it safe now to update?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 6:18 PM
@joandsarah77 - Okay so, just finished an over 3 hour play session without a crash, 1h+ on 3 different families in 3 different neighbourhoods, visited a ton of community lots.
The patch is applied correctly, the game hit 1GB ram usage a few times as well.

Should I now apply the 'gpu not recognized' fix, try game with CC or go ham and try with both now?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 7:10 PM
If the game looks normal, has proper reflections, proper sea water, no "hay" grass in neighborhood view, then you may not need to do the GPU fix (unless you're on a laptop with two graphic cards). If it ain't broke, don't fix it - or you risk ending up with more problems.

Since the crashes were more or less random, you probably had memory crashes. A properly applied 4GB patch should be enough, unless you later stumble onto other problems.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 7:54 PM
@simmer22 - My game's capped on 800x600 resolution, shadows/refresh rate/smooth edges are grayed out with pretty black squares under sims (I used a small mod that fixes it) and this is what my game thinks about my GPU

Code:
=== Graphics device info ===
Number:          0
Name (driver):   AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Vendor:          ATI
Chipset:         Vendor: 1002, Device: 6811, Board: 20151462, Chipset: 0081
Driver:          aticfx32.dll, Version: 23.20.15017.3010, GUID: D7B71EE2-2B51-11CF-107C-BC3A3AC2DA35
Driver version:  3010
Monitor:         \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect:  1.777777, 16:9
Screen mode:     1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory:  32MB
HW T&L:          Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program:   3.0
Texture stages:  8
AppControlledAA: 1

For now I only applied the 4GB fix and I still have the working Win10 standby memory reset fix applied from this thread: TheJessaChannel thread
As for the GPU fix, what I did before is edit the Video Cards and Graphic Rules sgr files like suggested in this post (link) but I completely forgot what I edited in the Graphic Rules file with my current GPU, I did notice that @TheJessaChannel has the exact GPU as me so might ask her what she did so the game recognizes her GPU.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:20 PM
Then you may have to do the fix after all. Be sure to backup the files you change, in case of screw-ups (they happen).
Does the graphic card you have come with a separate control panel (I'm only familiar with Nvidia, and they do)? If so, have you checked the settings there?
Alchemist
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 9:36 PM
main reason to reinstall game should be if the installation files have a problem.
an alternative to reinstalling could be replacing files with their disc equivalents.

if crashing is due to files, the game files (My Documents directory) might be more likely than the installation files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2018 at 10:52 PM
@simmer22 - Yes it does, everything good there. I've figured out what i did to fix the unrecognized gpu so that worked, played for a few hours again with a few families, everything fine.
I put back my CC now, all the fixes still in place, all my mods work too. Will play a custom family with a few CC on them like hair and makeup to see if everything's still okay.

@mdsb759 - I had problems not only with crashing but some CC not showing up in game despite it working for others, I also did a bunch of testing without any CC or the documens and it kept crashing so i reinstalled, Reapplied all fixes and so far going good, no crashes and all mods working corectly thus far.