Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I don't know why these things are sometimes so difficult to find when they are required. Don't think they were ever on the wiki itself due to file capacity constraints.

@Barbarat - Do you happen to know where our NRaas team self-sims are currently hosted? I know they've moved around a few times.

The NRaas Selfies are here at Simwahine's Blog
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 2:46 PM
A good thing for therapy is to make people you do not like and put them in your game. I admit I'm guilty of this.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Scholar
#28 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 4:16 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 27th Jul 2018 at 7:27 PM.
Oh, yeah, I've created tons and tons of self-sims over the years. Pretty much the first sim I have created in each The Sims game was a self-sim. It's really funny to look back at self-sims I created back in The Sims 2 era when I was a teenager, and then through all of The Sims 3 years as well.

I used to create sims of other people I knew, too, but I stopped that years back because I finally realized it was rather creepy.

Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Unless aging is off, which I never do, I would think it would be hard to see yourself, family, and friends die in the game one by one.

NRAAS mods like SP and MC (I forget which, you may need both for various functions) make it very easy to control aging and all of that for single household. So you can plunk your self-sim down in another house, use those mods to keep them from aging/moving out of town/anything else you don't want them to do (like marrying or having kids) and be happy.

EDIT: Sorry, I was probably already telling you something you knew and you just don't like having aging off at all. If that's the case, I apologize!

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#29 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 4:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
The NRaas Selfies are here at Simwahine's Blog

Thank you! Don't know why I keep losing the link for that list, I think Simwahine changed blog platforms over a million years ago.

Wouldn't want to deprive our adoring fans of the opportunity to...uhm, I mean...you know, I really don't understand the appeal except maybe in Twallan and Chain's cases since they have done so much for our games over the years, but hey whatever makes folks happy.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 7:21 PM
I've totally done it; in all the incarnations of the Sims games that I've played. No shame whatsoever. Bahahaha. I used to do a lot of drawing and cartooning, but since I have had the carpal tunnel surgery, it's so much easier to just use the game engine to write and "draw" out the stories. I don't usually share them publicly because they're kind of just for me, honestly. For the longest time (and probably still, to be real here), the game is an escape for me. I like to re-create historical people, etc., and interact with them in the game and other stuff like that. The ton of CC available for Sims 3 has made it really easy to get my features spot on, though I do admit to cheating with the weight. I mean, it's a fantasy game, right? So I get to at least be an ideal weight in the game. Hah.
Instructor
#31 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 8:10 PM
Nope, never. That would be "voodoo" in my vocabulary (half joke, half serious).
Mad Poster
#32 Old 27th Jul 2018 at 9:14 PM
I'm a bit fascinated by the psychology that most simmers would rather have other sims live their lifes themselves dream off that couldn't/can't accomplish in real life rather making and having own simself do it. Some find it creepy (which kinda makes we wonder why there is a line between daydreaming versus 'playing' the simulation drawn). I only recreated my family when I was like idk 6-10 years old. I had a friend that recreated her real-life family along with her in TS3. I guess virtual people in this game are so lively that it makes it very weird/uncanny to even attempt recreating own sim self.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Forum Resident
#33 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 2:06 AM
Never... I tried one time and got extremely bored with that save when I first bought the Sims 3. I just don't find the sim version of me interesting.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 10:18 AM
I guess I'm the minority here. I made myself right away when first playing the sims... I got her married, had kids, and then deleted her because I realized she looked nothing like me. I don't try to make self sims anymore because tbh it's hard to make myself, even when looking at a photo.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 12:17 PM
Yeah Pi here looks nothing like me, either, but I think I like him better this way. He's a version of me, not me myself.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 1:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Thank you! Don't know why I keep losing the link for that list, I think Simwahine changed blog platforms over a million years ago.

Wouldn't want to deprive our adoring fans of the opportunity to...uhm, I mean...you know, I really don't understand the appeal except maybe in Twallan and Chain's cases since they have done so much for our games over the years, but hey whatever makes folks happy.

You are welcome igazor. It is listed on our Where Can I Find It Page under Spice Up Your Game. I haven't updated the page in a while but the links available are still in place and working.
Theorist
#37 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 2:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika
I guess I'm the minority here. I made myself right away when first playing the sims... I got her married, had kids, and then deleted her because I realized she looked nothing like me. I don't try to make self sims anymore because tbh it's hard to make myself, even when looking at a photo.

Haha, my first attempt at a self sim ended up looking like George Micheal. Completely wrong. I just had to adjust it over the years. I’ve think I’ve got him like 95% accurate now, or something.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
A good thing for therapy is to make people you do not like and put them in your game. I admit I'm guilty of this.

Yes. People you don't like and lots of cow plants make a great game!

One good reason to at least use your own name is that I've made sims and been playing and see a note like "Joe Blow is starving". And you think "gotta shut off notifications on NRAAS Story Progression, I'm getting notices on the whole town." Then the camera zips you over to your sim as the grim reaper comes to take him. Oh! that Joe Blow!

Sims are better than us.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#39 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 2:54 PM
Thanks @barbarat and @igazor ! I had Twallan's sim, but had not seen the others.
Scholar
#40 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 4:49 PM
This is how I used to play most of the time
I mean I could never become a cool Vampire witch in real life now can I When I got the Sims 3, a friend gave it to me. He installed Sims 3 and supernatural back in 2011 or 2012. Thought I wouldn't like the game at first. I've never been more wrong about anything in my life
So I made my first "avatar" just like I would in any other game. Had no idea how the game plays exactly. My first avatar was a witch and had my name but didn't look quite like me cause my hair style didn't exist in the game and I wasn't very good at the slider game.
I loved the whole being a witch in a normal world thing. There are many games where the character has superpowers but in those game everyone was like that. But in this game it was more like those TV shows I watched a lot as a kid where there's a family of witches in a normal world. And so I loved that. That's probably what made me stay interested in the game long enough for me to enjoy the other features.
I didn't play very long saves. I would play till like one generation gets old though I kept myself young with fountain of youth. It was nice seeing everyone grow old and have families and move on with their lives even when I didn't have to interfere. I could just do what I wanted with my own Sim and the rest would just go on like in the real world.
Nowadays I play many different ways. But go back to playing as me sometimes. Or sometimes I make a Sim like me but make him inactive and place him in different situations like make him rich or poor or with how many other Sims living with him and see where SP goes with that lol.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 2:50 AM Last edited by Kylaaab : 30th Jul 2018 at 3:02 AM.
I've made my sim-self before, but haven't played her. It was mainly just to see how close I could come to myself in resemblance, so now she sits in my sim bin all lonely and never to be used...

I find it not as interesting to play someone based on me -- compared to some crazy-backstory sim with a highly entertaining personality (gotta love those insane, evil, and slob sims), hobbies that are completely unlike my own (A scuba-diving astronaut with an affinity for turning people into toad-sims anyone?), and any other odd quirks (Once I had 14 birds-- in another save game I had 14 children)

So uh.. ?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#42 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tysika

I don't think I've ever made a sim that looked exactly, or even nearly like who I was creating them to look like. But hey, I know who the sim is supposed to be. That's all that matters to me. :P
Field Researcher
#43 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 3:56 AM
I made my family in the sims 3, because they have passed on. So at least in my game (and I never switch to them) they live on. Mom, Dad, me, brother and sister. It makes me feel that they are somehow with me again.
Scholar
#44 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 12:15 PM
It's not something I do regularly, but one time I did it and had such a blast. I just made me and my cats, so there was no weirdness about other people's free will or anything, but I really enjoyed building a life and family for 'myself' and got quite attached to them all. It was really nice because I was feeling a lot of insecurity about my future at the time, so it was kind of therapeutic to play out a relatively realistic but still happy and relatively stress free version of what it could look like. Made it easier to picture that kind of stuff actually happening for me. I also got a lot of laughs over how ridiculous and unreasonable my selfsim's wishes were, in such a very very me way. (she just wanted to adopt all the cats and kids and quit her (part time!) job so she could stay home all day with them. I can relate). Actually I ended up having so so much fun with that family, and while I think it was enhanced by the 'me' aspect, they were also just an entertaining bunch of sims who cracked me up regularly.

I only stopped playing them because my selfsim went and got herself electrocuted shortly before her eldest (step)son went off to college, who then had the most insane first week in which literally everyone in his dorm dropped dead, one or two a night, like clockwork, until he was the only original resident left alive, and even some of the replacements had mysteriously died. And then he nearly turned into a plantsim but something got borked and he was stuck in an unplayable state so I just quit without saving and haven't been back since because I just do not know where to go from there. It was truly bizarre. Poor kid witnessed like 11 ish deaths in the space of a week, including his estranged father and his stepmother (who'd been in his life since he was a toddler).

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Scholar
#45 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 11:35 PM
I tend to create characters as if they are part of some story. Well, more like an idea of a character in a certain setting. Then I just wing it. Because I tend to get distracted by things in the game. Even Terry Gilliam or Stanley Kubrick wouldn't call it a story what I do with those characters.
Me as character would be boring. I do that every day already.
Page 2 of 2