Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 8:41 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Apartment Life
Default Fresh install crashes upon startup
I just recently installed the sims 2 on my dell xp. During the install I had noticed some issues where it was having difficulty transferring the control files over to the program files, but eventually the installation completed. But whenever I try to run it, it only goes to the EA games screen then crashes. The issue is not the hardware as the game had been installed and ran fine on this laptop before.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 28th Jul 2018 at 9:17 PM
are there any messages when game crashes?

edit:: does the crashing occur with full-screen or windowed or both?
and at what point does the crashing occur?

edit 2:: a possible fix might be to delete the cache files. they would be located in main Sims2 folder of My Documents directory.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 5:26 AM Last edited by nikkiluvz : 29th Jul 2018 at 7:32 AM. Reason: Update
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
are there any messages when game crashes?

edit:: does the crashing occur with full-screen or windowed or both?
and at what point does the crashing occur?

edit 2:: a possible fix might be to delete the cache files. they would be located in main Sims2 folder of My Documents directory.

The message just says application has crashed and will now terminate, it goes to the screen where it says EA games and the voice says challenge everything, then crashes there, sometimes it freezes before the "challenge everything" sometimes it will sound, but never goes to the next screen. I have tested both in full and windowed, both to the same effect. As for the cache files only the group.cache file is there, interestingly enough sometimes it will be 11kb and others it will be 12kb.

UPDATE:
So I went through and reloaded some of the res files and control files from the disk to the program files res and control folder, after that I managed to get it to load to a neighborhood and for the most part it looked alright, but the scenery like trees and stuff was white, and it crashed when I hit the choose family button.

UPDATE 2:
Now there is an issue with my graphics card. The white I mentioned had red lines and numbers going through it which I read awhile back that it was an error with the graphics. At one point I did have to update my graphics which accidentally uninstalled them and I had to install them again. I wonder if that could be the cause. I did another fresh install of the game again with no hassle and this is still occuring.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 10:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nikkiluvz
but the scenery like trees and stuff was white, and it crashed when I hit the choose family button.

UPDATE 2:
Now there is an issue with my graphics card. The white I mentioned had red lines and numbers going through i

That sounds to me like the blank image with the resource name on it that shows if the game can't find the textures. In other words, it sounds like your install is not complete, especially in view of what you said 'I went through and reloaded some of the res files and control files from the disk to the program files res and control folder'.

What I would recommend is to do a complete uninstall:
Game Help:Uninstallwiki
And then reinstall. You don't mention what media your game is on, but if it is disk you could try this:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Your_Hard_Drive
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
That sounds to me like the blank image with the resource name on it that shows if the game can't find the textures. In other words, it sounds like your install is not complete, especially in view of what you said 'I went through and reloaded some of the res files and control files from the disk to the program files res and control folder'.

What I would recommend is to do a complete uninstall:
Game Help:Uninstallwiki
And then reinstall. You don't mention what media your game is on, but if it is disk you could try this:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Your_Hard_Drive

I had already done a second fresh install as explained in update 3, the issue is still occuring. I also noticed I can add scenery and houses, but cannot choose a house with sims as it crashes before the family pops up, same with the select a family category.
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 29th Jul 2018 at 6:46 PM
Is your antivirus on when you install and when you play? I've read about some overzealous antivirus programs not allowing the game to install properly, blocking the install of some of the needed files, or to interfere with playing once it's installed, causing crashing. Perhaps try disconnecting from the internet, turning off your AV temporarily, and then trying an install again?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 1:08 AM Last edited by nikkiluvz : 30th Jul 2018 at 4:13 AM. Reason: Update
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Is your antivirus on when you install and when you play? I've read about some overzealous antivirus programs not allowing the game to install properly, blocking the install of some of the needed files, or to interfere with playing once it's installed, causing crashing. Perhaps try disconnecting from the internet, turning off your AV temporarily, and then trying an install again?

I do not have an antivirus active.

UPDATE 4:
I got further. I created a new neighborhood and some trees and other objects had white in the graphics and added a house. I opened the house and was able to load all objects fine (that I clicked on). I went to the create a family and it crashed when it tried to load the first sim. So it seems that only the sims do not want to load, but everything else works fine. Objects on the lot like trees and stuff appears white from the neighborhood view.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jul 2018 at 5:36 AM
Working now, turns out some content didn't make it to the files from one of the disks so I just had to add them in.