Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 5:17 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Windows 10/GTX 1060: if you're stuck at 800x600 resolution...
New PC, Windows 10, latest patch (whichever version you get when updating a new system at the end of July), nVidia GTX1060. The games got installed just fine, was able to start the game, enter household. But stuck at 800x600 resolution with no other options.

After a couple of hours of "mixing and matching" whatever I found on internet or came up of my own, I made it work:

1. Graphic rules maker. Tried both versions, currently have a test version, but I think the 1st one will do just fine. GRM alone didn't help, only removed black boxes under sims and dimmed out the Shadows and Edge scroller options.
2. Edited Graphic rules manually, didn't help (followed these instructions https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-...solution-guide/ )
3. Tried compatibility mode Windows 7, even Vista. Nothing.
4. Run TS2 as Administrator - and it worked! (right-click on game's shortcut icon on desktop, Properties, Compatibility, select Run this program as an administrator. Apply, Ok)

Tested on newly created game, on random save from old PC (entered households, run on ffs speed, played for few minutes). Don't know if it crashes after few hours as some players mentioned, but at least the resolution is right now
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 7:30 PM
I noticed something odd about the GRM. I had to set the texture memory to some number before the set resolution took. It's the only way I got it to work. With 'Don't force texture memory', it wouldn't work. :/
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 9:40 PM
I had it also at 4096Mb at first, as it was suggested for my card, it worked. Then I experimented and had it back to "don't force" option, and it still worked. I think in my case it was truly the combination of graphic rules file edit and running as Administrator that made it work. I hope it lasts.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2018 at 3:13 PM
I JUST had this problem a few weeks ago with my new computer. The wonderful Jules gave me this solution. It works.

The following is his post:

If you are not getting any other screen size to appear, then the graphic rules didn't work all the way. It happens to many cards. You will need to alter the file by hand. It is not hard. Go to (whichever drive you installed on) -> Program files x86 -> Origin games -> The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection -> Fun With Pets -> SP9 -> TSData -> Res -> Config

In the Config file click on the Graphic Rules file. It should open in notepad. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way until you see a section like this

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 1920
uintProp maxResHeight 1080
uintProp defaultResWidth 1920
uintProp defaultResHeight 1080

setting $MediumButDefaultLow

setting $Medium

setting $High
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom maximum resolution
# GraphicsRulesMaker Tweak: Custom default resolution
end

Note your numbers on the sides are most likely different, which is why you can't choose another resolution. Just change all the numbers to the ones I have above. I had to do this myself. This will let you choose from any resolution between 800x600 and 1920x1080. Make sure to save it after altering it.

Edit: Also make a copy of the file after altering it, and put it in the CSConfig file as well. You can let it override the one that is in there, or if you feel more comfortable you can move the one out of the CSConfig file, then place the altered one in.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/