Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 7:30 AM
Default Do Sims all Look the Same?
One thing that is bothering me about The Sims 3 is the look of the Sims. While I thought they were cool at first, I worry now that they all tend to look blood-related. I've yet to see very many (there have been some) Sims who appear TRULY unique. I can't tell if I'm just being crazy or if others feel the same. Is there something about them that makes them look very similar? Given the way Eaxis has been advertising how you can build them in CAS you'd think you'd see some more variety in appearance. Look at the girls at the bottom of this image: http://www.emptyforce.net/blog/wp-c...ims3-pg30-2.jpg They could be sisters.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 7:34 AM
I think that most of them look the same but thats just what we are seeing on trailers and pictures and such im not so sure that anyone will actually know for sure until they have a chance to play the game and mess around with the features a bit.
#3 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 8:38 AM
I'd go one further and say they look like the offspring of blood relatives! Seriously though if you look at the box cover there's only a few that look genuinely different and the rest look pretty similar. I find it hard to believe that there's a huge variety and they've just foolishly picked a bunch of example sims to show us that all look alike. They probably look much better in the game, hopefully.
Instructor
#4 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 9:38 AM
I think it's probably one person that made all of them and that's why they look similar to each other. I've noticed a lot of players tend to make sims that look kinda the same, probably because they like that specific look. Sometimes it's the shape of the face, or nose, or mouth etc.
I think we will be able to do truly unique sims if we want to.
I hope some talented custom creator will come up with better skin tones after the game is out though, coz I really hate how their skins looks now, especially the paler ones.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 10:53 AM
As with The Sims2, all sims look blood relatived because each gender and age use the same mesh and move with the same animations.

This would be expected in TS3 also.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 11:11 AM
Man, that would be a lot of different fathers for those sisters. Personally, I think they look more like a different race of sims. Not even race, but you know how eastern europeans look way different from western europeans, though they are both caucasians. I heard that the main charcter modeller for Sims3 is of Turkish origin, so I am not surprised by how the sims look. I think they all look different even though they have similar traits.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 11:59 AM
They all look very similar to me too (facially). That round-ish type look. Can't put it into words.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 1:07 PM
They have the same eyebrows. My guess is that when they were throwing these ladies together, they used the same face template. They didn't even bother changing their eyebrows. Their lips are the same shape ... though some are bigger or smaller. I've been saying it over and over again - EAxis has no imagination when it comes to creating sims.
#9 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 2:51 PM
Box cover

Remember that install game in Sims 2 where you match the objects? Try playing it with that, pick a sim and then look at any other sim of the same gender. If you ignore the hair there doesn't seem to be much variety. You can almost see which slider was moved to create the slight variation.

I think they've had to choose to drop one thing out of lots of sims on screen at once, facial detail and working ok on old PCs if that's the case then I think they picked the right one.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 3:22 PM
I think they probably started from one Sim and just tweaked it on the way, that's the reason they all look the same.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConradThe2nd
As with The Sims2, all sims look blood relatived because each gender and age use the same mesh and move with the same animations.

This would be expected in TS3 also.

But I don't find that to be true about TS2. I have very unique looking Sims bouncing around my game.

I just remembered this entry from the Parsimonious blog about TS3: http://www.parsimonious.org/rev/revcas.shtml

Quote:
Anyone who has participated in a community discussion about Sims 3 over the past year will likely have encountered at least one person who has said all the Sims 3 Sims look very bland and very 'samey'. This is something I firmly kept an open mind about when going to the Creator's Camp because whilst it's certainly a fair statement about the previewed Sims, custom Sims 2 Sims look vastly different and quite often more original, from the Maxis Sims that shipped with the Sims 2. In that respect I was very interested to see what could be done with the facial controls by someone who is perhaps less encumbered by Maxis' middle of the road approach.

All in all, despite Maxis' assurances that the options are much more subtle and it's possible to create anyone as a Sim, I am not 100% convinced having seen it first hand. To an extent because each subset of controls is hidden away in a sub-option, it's easy to get an impression of there being less compared to Sims 2 Bodyshop, but in practice even pushing the sliders to the extreme did not really produce particularly unique results. No doubt the faces are smoother and do animate better, but the essential nature of each Sim seemed to be very much the same. I understand this was a deliberate choice by Maxis, but I'm not sure that all fans are going to respond as well as they'd hoped. On the plus side, it is easier to create more realistic looking Asian Sims, something that was a problem in Sims 2.

There's no Elf ears option in Sims 3. I mention this because it's a popular component of Sims 2 and something I knew many creators and players would miss. All I can say is I did ask Maxis, I begged and pleaded but no, it is not going to happen!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. But it's sort of disappointing. I hope we'll be able to, with a new perspective, create Sims who look as totally unique as their personalities can now be.
#12 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 6:32 PM
Those chicks were the first sims ever made to show to the public and it really looks like they didn't try to add too much detail! but just give everyone a picture on how they look like, i saw videos from the creators camp and i saw quick shots of the sims people were making men and women sims and they truly look unique! I also questioned that but after seeing many screen shots and stuff like that i calmed down and realized they weren't trying hard to add too much detail to that.
People in real life don't have such chubby faces lol they used the same facial shape and you can always make it more narrow and thin, add other stuff to it, but yea i guess you could call those testers or "prototypes"
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 9:24 PM
OMG part of that thing from parsimonious said NO ELF EARS. :'( WTF. Nearly all of my sims have elfie ears!
And to stay on topic, I think the sims don't looke unique at all. I personally dislike the look of TS3 sims.

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 9:35 PM
No, I don't think they look the same. Especially with the new box cover.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alma70
I think it's probably one person that made all of them and that's why they look similar to each other. I've noticed a lot of players tend to make sims that look kinda the same, probably because they like that specific look. Sometimes it's the shape of the face, or nose, or mouth etc.
I think we will be able to do truly unique sims if we want to.

I agree. Even I did that with the Sims 2, that's why I want to base the sims I make in the Sims 3 off of real people so that they will all look unique.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 5th Feb 2009 at 11:06 PM
I say, blame it on lazy creators.
EAxis people are to lazy to create unique or even good-looking sims.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 12:27 AM
Parsimonious says that there are limits to what you can do with a Sim's eyes... I think I can see what she means, looking at some of the stills from the game. Not to mention they all have the same 6 haircuts. lol.
Even on the new box cover I think the Sims shown are too similar. Of course there are a few unique ones there but any Sim that isn't vibrantly or unusually resplendent looks similar to the others.
#18 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 7:10 AM
That is a really, really bad image to base your idea of TS3's Sims off of. As somewhat mentioned before, that is one of the first few images released of TS3, clearly before Body Shop was developed very much. Also, you are coming at it with a skewed perspective. Custom content makes a WORLD of difference. Go look around at Maxis Sims (unedited) in TS2. They don't look like clones, but they certainly don't look anywhere near as unique and identifiably different as all the custom content Sims do.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heavenzdvl987
That is a really, really bad image to base your idea of TS3's Sims off of. As somewhat mentioned before, that is one of the first few images released of TS3, clearly before Body Shop was developed very much. Also, you are coming at it with a skewed perspective. Custom content makes a WORLD of difference. Go look around at Maxis Sims (unedited) in TS2. They don't look like clones, but they certainly don't look anywhere near as unique and identifiably different as all the custom content Sims do.

I'm sorry but i disagree. EA is apparently sacrificing uniqueness for good looking breeding. You do not need CC to make a Sim look unique. Look at Bp's sims. Each unique, very minimum CC. The Sims3 sims are bland. We all know that two unique sims in TS2 can make ugly babies, so I'm guessing EA limited how much tweaking we can do with our sims so they don't create ugly spawn. This is not good.
#20 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 7:55 AM
It depends on what defaults you'll use in the game as to whether they'll look the same.They have several defaults like in the sims 2.The ones on the cover look different to me.
Test Subject
#21 Old 6th Feb 2009 at 9:55 PM
Coltraz, thanks for the Parsimonious blog entry link. It sadly just confirms what I've been thinking, and I agree with you. They look similar and bland. Yet another nail in the rapidly growing coffin in which any interest I once had in Sims 3 is being buried.
#22 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 1:42 PM
I believe I can make a unique looking sim with TS3... Heck I could probably do it in under 5 minutes.
But the examples we are shown here don't even have the custom color skintones (the RGB ones) or unnaturally colored hair. They are all very "normie". But I don't feel that's a representation of the game as a whole.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 3:03 PM
The unnaturally coloured hair thing isn't going to do anything. Eaxis acts like because they made hair more customizable it won't matter if we have a bunch of the same hair meshes floating around in the game. They're using highlights and hair tips as an excuse to give us fewer hair options. Well, I'd rather have hair meshes than highlights or hair tips. I hope they're going to put extra hair in the game now that they have a few more months to do it... but probably they reached their target of eight hairs and that's that.

Last night I had a dream I was using CAS and couldn't make my Sim's eyes any different than two defaults. The most I could do was move them up, or down. hehehe.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 3:09 PM
I am not sure I understand all this uniqueness thing. The sims on the box cover obviously all have different appearance, yet everyone's complaining about how they cannot create unique sims. What do you guys consider that qualifies them as unique anyway?
#25 Old 7th Feb 2009 at 3:33 PM
I think the box cover is deceptive, they all have different facial expressions but not very different structure. Covering themselves up a bit?
Page 1 of 3