Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 3:00 PM
Default What's the story on these prices?
Right, so personally I have every pack I want, and I've had them for some time. At about 6000 hours, I've easily gotten my mileage out of them.
But now I want to buy them again for a streamer friend, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me when they're typically on sale. I want to get a good deal on them because the packs are still going for €40 each. The fact that they're still full price is really putting me off from TS3 as a whole. I know I paid a pretty penny for it too, back in the day, but TS3 is a legacy title now. It shouldn't be this plumming expensive.

Addendum: Steam, not Origin.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 3:58 PM
It seems (to me, at least) like early summer and near Christmas.

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 4:09 PM
Agree with Macaroodle. Early summer, christmas, maybe some other american holidays as well.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 4:29 PM
Expanding on Macaroodles and Nekoisims replies, the best prices I've seen for Steam are indeed around those times, such as the Summer and Winter sales. The only thing is TS3 doesn't always go on sale even during those times, so it could potentially be a while.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 11:30 PM
You can expect it on sale at Steam during their big sales, which are weighted to the second six months of the year (probably February, June/July, two - maybe even three - of October/November/December) . And sometimes it'll be a Midweek Madness offer, but no timing on that. The last time that happened was fairly recently (within the last month), and it was just the base game, but it was 85% off.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Aug 2018 at 11:45 PM
Yeah I know, I got my friend the base game for €6. I really hope to get him a couple EPs before he gets a chance to play it on stream, though, because I've been praising TS3's virtues for some time and would like to show him what I'm talking about.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#7 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 8:48 AM
I know zero about Steam as do not use it, but can your friend use hard copies? I would think there are many copies for sale on ebay now or some retailers. I still see Sims 3 for sale at retailers here.

One look at my bookshelf will show I have and still always get hard copies when I can. Or now at least a case and code when I can for 4 and not just a code/buy.

Had to reinstall all 30 or whatever I have of 3 when got this computer. Glad I had all the hard copies.
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I know zero about Steam as do not use it, but can your friend use hard copies? I would think there are many copies for sale on ebay now or some retailers. I still see Sims 3 for sale at retailers here.

One look at my bookshelf will show I have and still always get hard copies when I can. Or now at least a case and code when I can for 4 and not just a code/buy.

Had to reinstall all 30 or whatever I have of 3 when got this computer. Glad I had all the hard copies.

Yea I was gonna say that too. I often see it in online shopping websites.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 12:59 PM
I like to have things in my grubby little hands instead out in space somewhere whenever I can.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 5:57 PM
I know the guy well enough to say for certain that he's not going to bother getting physical copies for a game he's never played, that he probably doesn't even care about, that was gifted to him by someone he considers his favourite nuisance. He also lives in the dead middle of Detroit's urban jungle and probably doesn't want to risk getting murdered by his drug dealing neighbors, so Steam will do fine.

insert signature here
Scholar
#11 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 10:57 PM
Huh. I thought the Expansion Packs had permanently dropped in price. That's odd. I've always noticed how the Store content never dropped in price, and always been pretty peeved about that. The game ended over four years ago, but the store content can't drop in price? Ridiculous.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 11:26 PM
My thoughts exactly.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 4:18 AM
Nope, and it's ridiculous.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 9:43 AM
All he has to do is go the WM and get a bundle if wanted. Or I am sure ebay has tons for sale.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EA-The-S...-73137/24547356
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 4:00 PM
Yeah but it's not really a gift and a surprise if he has to go pick it up himself, and pay for it as well.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 5:51 PM
Very true! Just PP him the funds to go and get it. Would Steam ever be less than that for new?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 12th Aug 2018 at 6:27 PM
It's still not a gift and a surprise if I give him the money so he can go and get it himself. I'll wait for the next Steam sale instead.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#18 Old 13th Aug 2018 at 7:57 AM
Sounds like a good plan.