Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 6:27 PM
i have the same problem as you, nouk...
my mesh has disappearing and bleeding parts shown in the BS and i tried
your suggestion, windkeeper...
but after this changes no mesh is shown in the BS... ...
what can we do?

this is my HP - cu there?
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chriko
i have the same problem as you, nouk...
my mesh has disappearing and bleeding parts shown in the BS and i tried
your suggestion, windkeeper...
but after this changes no mesh is shown in the BS... ...
what can we do?

*Huggles Chriko and cries in pain and sorrow*
I have posted a question about it here:
http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/si...Something-wrong

I hope someone will answer and help us soon

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Instructor
#53 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by windkeeper
DJ, is it possible you didn't set NumSkinWgts to 3 in your new mesh?

What is this and how can I change it?
Scholar
#54 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 10:16 AM
This is part of the information found in the group comments.
Go on the Groups page in MilkShape and click the name of a group, then click the [Comment] button.

You will see something like this:

ModelName: hair
Opacity: -1
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts: 3

First line is the name of the group
Second line is the opacity, used for the layering in the game. The hair group should always be -1, the alpha groups should correspond to the group's name - hair_alpha3 should be 3, etc.

The NumSkinWgts line shows how many vertex assignments are used - for hair, and for most body meshes, this should always be 3.

If any of this info is missing or incorrect, your mesh won't export right.

If you do any re-grouping while editing your mesh, these comments will disappear so be sure to check them on each group before exporting your mesh.
Test Subject
#55 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 2:49 PM
i made my hairstyle new at all and it works fine now...
one question- the original has in the comments the skinweightnumber 2...
is it necassary to change it into 3?...
(i made it, but i don't know if it makes effects, i changes too much, sorry i don't remember at all )

Scholar
#56 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chriko
i made my hairstyle new at all and it works fine now...
one question- the original has in the comments the skinweightnumber 2...
is it necassary to change it into 3?...
(i made it, but i don't know if it makes effects, i changes too much, sorry i don't remember at all )

If it is 2 and you have any triple assignments on your mesh they will be lost and you will get those holes in your mesh.

If you only have made double assignments, it is OK to leave it 2, but it will harm nothing to make this 3 so I always make it 3 to be safe.

That way there is one less possible problem to worry about.
Scholar
#57 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 3:33 PM
So then it's the mesh itself that is rotten And you redid the mesh, and then it worked, Chriko?

Test Subject
#58 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 3:50 PM
dr.pixel, that was my mistake!....
i made it all new, but at last i changed the 2 into 3... triple assignments are needed for this long hairs...
and this was the important change... i'm so happy...
ok, i'm a handcrafter, not an inventor
thank you, Dr.Pixel... *hugs*

edit:
nouk, the original hair is short, very short... it don't need triple assignments, but mine...
take a look at yours, please

Scholar
#59 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 7:22 PM
Well mine is a high ponytail, and the 3 assignments are set from the beginning. Maybe the mesh itself is just poopie. I have no idea. I have not yet tried it out with another mesh. I just wish I could give this one mesh some animation, as it looks like she's got stick pasted to her head right now 0_0 !

I still have to send Windkeeper the mesh, maybe he/she can test it out. But I'm not home right now...

Instructor
#60 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 8:48 PM
Nouk- I tried to add animation to my Mimi mesh, which is pigtails. The Maxis pigtails mesh has some vertices with no assignments to the head joints, only the hair joints. When I copied this, the hair looked like it was pulling into the head and messed up completely. Perhaps yours is doing the same thing? I've only seen mine do that when it was only assigned to an animation joint, nothing else.

If that makes sense.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#61 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
If you move the bones, the new position does get exported.
I moved the bones in Milkshape, then imported mesh back to package file. Exported it into smd format and loaded into Fragmotion - position of the bones was back to the original. Thats why I thought the bones cannot be moved. But if the skeleton is stored in two places: GMDC and CRES (am I understanding it right?), then all this does make sense. Unimesh displays the bones from GMDC while smd stores the bones from CRES.
Scholar
#62 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ_Mur3
Nouk- I tried to add animation to my Mimi mesh, which is pigtails. The Maxis pigtails mesh has some vertices with no assignments to the head joints, only the hair joints. When I copied this, the hair looked like it was pulling into the head and messed up completely. Perhaps yours is doing the same thing? I've only seen mine do that when it was only assigned to an animation joint, nothing else.

If that makes sense.

Hey DJ_Mur3!

My mesh doesn't do anything at all, it gets damaged by the .smd import/export and stops working

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#63 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
I still have to send Windkeeper the mesh, maybe he/she can test it out. But I'm not home right now...
"She" will test it out for you, no problem :D
Scholar
#64 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 1:59 AM
I moved the bones in Milkshape, then imported mesh back to package file. Exported it into smd format and loaded into Fragmotion - position of the bones was back to the original. Thats why I thought the bones cannot be moved. But if the skeleton is stored in two places: GMDC and CRES (am I understanding it right?), then all this does make sense. Unimesh displays the bones from GMDC while smd stores the bones from CRES.

The bones in the mesh itself can be moved, and I have successfully done this on objects (cars for example) by moving them both in the mesh, and also altering the corresponding information in the CRES. This can be used on cars to relocate the wheels, doors, and the position of the headlights and tail lights. This sort of thing can also be done to other bone-animated objects.

But this doesn't seem to work with body/hair meshes. I can also move them in the mesh, and it does have an effect in BodyShop and in the game - unfortunately, it is only a bad effect, uncontrollable since changing the info in the CRES seems to have no effect at all on body parts. So, you wind up with just a distorted, weird animating mesh.

Now this could well be due to my lack of understanding of how the CRES info is used, and body parts have way more bone info in the CRES than objects do, so I'm not saying this is impossible but I am lost when it gets to the CRES part of it.
Instructor
#65 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 6:32 AM
Oh, sorry, Nouk. Well, then I don't know, sorry.

I'm so thankful for you, Windkeeper. I'm going to go back and edit a few of my meshes and add animation, lol. The only thing that can get annoying is that you can't export it again and look at it in Milkshape. But that's okay.. I prefer having animations.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#66 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 7:19 AM
Skankyboy posted newer version of plugin in QA section of SimPE forum. That one seems to work better, I was able to import mesh back to Milkshape after it was through smd export/import.
Scholar
#67 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 12:24 PM
I can't acces that pat of the forum. Any way you could send it to me? And a way to install it

Instructor
#68 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 4:52 PM
Yeah, it won't allow me to open it, either. It gives a message saying that I am not allowed to open it. It says that it is for "members of the SimPE Quality Assurance Program" and I'm not part of that..:P
Forum Resident
#69 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 6:43 PM
yes same here
i want it-
cos i edited mesh without bakuup and this mesh is kinda ruined
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#70 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 8:12 PM
You can apply by following instructions in this thread. I got my access within two days. Don't think it would be right for me to repost the plugin but I think its not a problem if I email it, just PM me if you can't get to QA section and want me to send the plugin.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#71 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 8:42 PM
Might also write to skankyboy and ask if he's willing to post the new version here (with instructions as to how to install it)
Instructor
#72 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 8:55 PM
That would be nice, and I'm sure most people would appreciate it, too.
Instructor
#73 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 9:11 PM
Skankyboy posted newer version of plugin in QA section of SimPE forum. That one seems to work better, I was able to import mesh back to Milkshape after it was through smd export/import.

Windkeeper, in fact the new QA version of SimPE is that fixed the problem. version 0.58 and all old versions, when importing a mesh as Milkshape ASCII or 3DS or SMD is left some informations that wes use to load the GMDC in Milkshape. All fixes that skankyboy is doing right now with his plugin (changes made to the last version included with SimPE 0.58) is for body meshes.
so, if people is not using the new QA version, probably will not be able to import the mesh again with wes plugin..
Forum Resident
#74 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 9:22 PM
when u get the new .smd exporter then to export ur mesh as unimesh again
first u have to export each group as .smd again and import it bak and then u can exprt as unimesh again
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 9:24 PM
I'm still using SimPE 58, pinhead, and I was able to import the mesh back to Milkshape with the old SimPE and newer SMD plugin. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I've also installed .NET 2. I'm no expert in all this, just reporting here my findings in hopes that it will help others.

In any case, if people get access to QA section, they can get both new SimPE and new plugin.
Page 3 of 4