Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 11:37 PM Last edited by ZeonZumDeikun : 15th Jul 2015 at 7:24 AM.
Texture Not Correctly Appearing in Body Shop or In-Game (Solved)
Hello there! I'm running into a bit of a problem with a mesh I've created and was wondering if someone might know what's going on with it. I built the mesh in a separate program and then imported it into MilkShape where I cut it into pieces so I could texture the sides differently. In MilkShape this worked just fine and I was able to put a different texture onto the front, left, ride, top and bottom sides of my mesh, and it looked fine. But as soon as I load the mesh file up in Body Shop or in The Sims 2 itself the texture on the top of the mesh doesn't show correctly. All of the other sides appear just fine, but the top one shows just a blank space... Honestly, I'm not really sure where this space is getting the texture from, it's colored the base color my mesh so there is a texture appearing on it from somewhere, but I have no clue where.

The top texture doesn't shimmer like there are two faces layered on each other, nothing really seems to be wrong with it other than that the texture isn't appearing there. Does anyone have any clue what might be going on? Like I said, it all appears fine in MilkShape, but in Body Shop or TS2 the top texture gets messed up. For the last two or three weeks I've been going through the mesh again and again trying to pinpoint the problem but so far I haven't come up with anything.

I've attached a picture below. The right picture is a screenshot from MilkShape, and if you look at where the green arrow is pointing you can see that the top of the mesh has a texture, it has a two-tone texture with a "B" on it. The left picture is in The Sims 2 and you can see that in the same spot it's just showing the base color of my mesh, not the texture that should be there... Does anyone know what might be causing this?

P.S. I actually have eight meshes, most of them look the same as the one in the picture but have different detail parts (there's four for males and four for females), and all of them have this problem.

Advertisement
Space Pony
Original Poster
#2 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 11:28 PM
A little update...

I just tried exporting the mesh from the Sim package file and imported it into MilkShape to see if anything somehow got switched around, but it still looks to be just fine. When I put the texture on it everything appears exactly where it should in MilkShape... I just can not figure out what's causing this when everything appears to be correct in MilkShape, but in TS2 it isn't...
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:16 PM
Could it be that the bone assignments on that section are pulling the mesh in - so the top bit with the B on it is actually really stretched out ingame, but you can't tell because it's sinking into the sim's body?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 10:42 AM
I hadn't thought of that. I don't think so, I think that I've seen the edge of the mesh on the Sim, but I'll check again to make sure. Though the whole mesh has the same bone assignment (spine2) so the entire mesh should be moving the same way...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2015 at 7:03 PM
Is the mesh one piece? Or is the part that's not displaying correctly a separate piece? If it's a separate piece, it could be something to do with SimPE. (I have a similar problem with clothing meshes if they have multiple pieces. Assigning the textures with SimPE the first time doesn't work. No matter what I do, the new pieces I added will just not take the texture. I have to clone the new mesh/recolour in Body Shop, and then reassign the textures on the clone. Only then will the textures for all the parts show up. I have no idea why this is, but at least there's a workaround.)

If your mesh is one piece, though, then my guess would be something to do with the UV map. Have you tried separating that piece into its own group so you can see exactly where the texture is mapping and that it's not overlapping anything else?

One other guess is that maybe that small piece has the faces turned the wrong way. It might not show up as a problem in MilkShape, but maybe it does in the game.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Jul 2015 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Is the mesh one piece? Or is the part that's not displaying correctly a separate piece? If it's a separate piece, it could be something to do with SimPE. (I have a similar problem with clothing meshes if they have multiple pieces. Assigning the textures with SimPE the first time doesn't work. No matter what I do, the new pieces I added will just not take the texture. I have to clone the new mesh/recolour in Body Shop, and then reassign the textures on the clone. Only then will the textures for all the parts show up. I have no idea why this is, but at least there's a workaround.)

If your mesh is one piece, though, then my guess would be something to do with the UV map. Have you tried separating that piece into its own group so you can see exactly where the texture is mapping and that it's not overlapping anything else?

One other guess is that maybe that small piece has the faces turned the wrong way. It might not show up as a problem in MilkShape, but maybe it does in the game.

The mesh is all one piece with just a frame and lens layer (the mesh is the frame layer, I have a tiny box hidden inside for the lens layer). I'll try cloning it, anyway, and see if anything changes. Never hurts to try!

I do have an earlier project file of the mesh where everything is split up into different layers-- each side and the details are all on separate layers on this file-- and at least in that file all of the parts are mapped to where they should be. After I had edited it all and set the map as it should be I merged the layers into one object. So merging the layers was pretty much the last thing I did besides resizing the mesh to fit on a Sim body. Still, I'm am fairly new to making custom meshes so it is possible that I didn't do something right or I missed something and I'm just not recognizing what that particular problem is.

As for the third guess, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I did try reversing the vertices on that part to see if it would make any difference, though I don't think that after I did that I actually loaded it up into TS2 to check out the results (I think I just looked at it through MilkShape)...
Space Pony
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2015 at 7:24 AM
Alright, I was able to figure out the problem. It seems that when I split the model up so I could texture each side different somehow I left a face on the top of the model. I didn't notice it and when I merged the layers together later it was impossible to see because the original face that I wanted to remove and the new face that was texture differently were in the exact same spot. So there were two faces right in each other. I'm not sure why the faces didn't shimmer like they usually do when that happens... But that was the problem. Though it was a pain in the butt I went back through all of my meshes and carefully deleted the top face and remade it. Now it works.