Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 10:23 AM
Default What determines the sort order in the catalog (after price)?
I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right forum, but it seemed to fit. So, I've been experimenting with the idea of sorting my windows and doors categories in build mode so that all sets show up together, so that there is less chaos and things are easier to find. It seems that the first thing objects are sorted by is their price, so I've been fiddling with the price of Maxis and CC objects. I'm wondering what the next factor is that determines the sort order?

Here in this pic you can see that I've organised CC add-on objects to the Maxis OFB International set, according to how I want them ordered (smallest windows to largest). Because I was just experimenting to begin with, I priced them starting from $1 and increased the price by 1 with each item. At the $5 price mark, though, the order is interrupted by a bunch of Maxis windows. I had forgotten about these, I priced all of these ones at $5 to keep them together. All these windows here are unique and don't seem to have any matching windows, so I kept them at the start of the catalog and at a low price to keep them out of the way of the way of the other Maxis windows which were in a set which I was fiddling/experimenting with giving new prices.

So, all these things in the middle are $5, but what determines the order of them aside from the price? It doesn't seem to be alphabetical, as far as I could tell. It could possibly be alphabetical according to the SimPE name (which is different to the name that shows up in the catalog), but I haven't checked that. Does anyone know?

I should probably just stick to using collection folders to keep things organised, but I'd like the main window/door folders to not be a hopeless mess.

My simblrIcon credit
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 1:37 PM
I think it's price, then name (one of them, anyway - either filename, the name in the OBJD, name in the description, or subsetname). Not sure, though.

Skip over 5 and go to 6, maybe? Or give each type of window one price (rounded ones, square ones, those with blinds, etc.) until you reach 4. I tend to sort objects so items in the same set have the same price, because it mkes them easier to find.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 2:21 PM
Ok, I guess I'll keep experimenting with the names. I don't think it's the filename though, so I'll try the other ones you mentioned

My simblrIcon credit
Alchemist
#4 Old 12th Aug 2019 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Natpop
Ok, I guess I'll keep experimenting with the names. I don't think it's the filename though, so I'll try the other ones you mentioned

Did you check GUIDs?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 10:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Did you check GUIDs?

No, I did not. I'm unfamiliar with GUIDs. where would I go to check those?

My simblrIcon credit
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2019 at 12:08 PM
The OBJD. They follow a hexadecimal pattern. You may need this if you're not comfortable counting in Hex: https://www.calculator.net/hex-calculator.html