Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 4:49 PM
Default NVidia Geforce Series
Hello everyone, my name's Tim (I'm only greeting myself because this is my first ever post, hehe.) I just have a question. I want to get a new computer before the Sims 2 University comes out and the computer I'm looking at has an NVidia Geforce 6600 256 MB video card. I was just wondering if someone with a card like that or similar could tell me how they work and if it's really worth my money to get one, like are the graphics good or what. Hehe, thanks! Here's the link if you want to see it.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/hig...infx700.asp?v=d
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 4:59 PM
Nvidia cards are the best for the sims2.....I know some ATI cards had issues with them at first, but nvidias have almost always worked first time!!
I have an nvidia gforce 4000 with 128meg on it, and it runs the game perfectly
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 5:40 PM
I just bought a GeForce FX 5200 256MB AGP on Tuesday and I thought I was playing the wrong game when I first loaded up TS2. The graphics look great and the price $120 wasn't too bad. I'm still getting used to things moving so fast where there used to be a lag (changing clothes, opening refrigerators, etc) there is none even at the highest graphics settings. So yes they're defiantly worth getting if you can afford it.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 5:53 PM Last edited by chandonsparkles : 19th Feb 2005 at 6:00 PM. Reason: rather old what??? LOL! Brain poof!
I just got a nVidia GeForce 6600 128mb . It made a huge difference. I have a rather old computer (2 1/2years old LOL!) The graphics are so much better and things actually move that I thought didn't! Like water!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 3:11 AM Last edited by greeneyedsims : 20th Feb 2005 at 8:49 PM.
It's good to know that a nVidia Geforce card should run great for my game.

My hubbie just bought me a nVidia GeForce FX 5500 with 256 MB today. We haven't installed it yet, but he'll do that in about an hour from now!! Yayy!!!

I was looking around here for more info on players using the nVidia Geforce FX 5500, because I didn't see this particular series number on the list of supported video cards. And, I'm such a dunce when it comes to these things. The box for the card says "GeForce 5500 OC (overclocked)"...I've never heard of that. I hope everything works ok, once it's installed.

Edited to add: I was up all night playing my game!!! THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME!!!! No more lagging and freezing, no more interrupted actions! My Sims just go about their day, walking, talking! OMYGOSH!!! The best part is the transition between night/day at 7:00 p.m.--NO FREEZE AT ALL!! Everythinhg just keeps right on moving along!! The SCENERY is sooo beautiful!! And their CLOTHES look sooo good!!! I'm just so EXCITED!!!
I never knew this game could be so smooth and beautiful!!
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ThomasRiordan
I just bought a GeForce FX 5200 256MB AGP on Tuesday and I thought I was playing the wrong game when I first loaded up TS2.

Heh same with me! The graphics are just incredible with it. Things don't move as fast for me though but my computer is old and I'll be replacing it soon.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:38 AM
If you want to buy nVidia Geforce 6600, my suggestion is 6600 GT, and it is perfect w/ nForce 4 because you can always add another 6600 GT later to put SLI in work.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 6:40 PM
NVIDIA GForce FX 5500 128 MB , just bought it two weeks ago almost now and LOVE IT!! The game is so fast now! It blew me away, I am going to upgrade my comp from a 512 mb to 1 G later on, but right now the game is running so well with my new graphics card I am letting it be. It IS like a whole new game when you have a great graphics card. I got mine at BestBuy reg $159 and I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but the guy sold it to me for $80!! WOOHOO!!

Silk stockings, What bliss they recall,
When love promised all, Forever more . . .
Cole Porter - 1954
Test Subject
#9 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 7:51 PM Last edited by blut3ng3l : 20th Feb 2005 at 7:56 PM.
Graphics cards.... new computers...

First, make sure you have a Pentium 4 or AMD 64. Don't go for the Celeron's. AMD's out preform P4's. Make sure you have a god amount of ram.

Video cards... hmhmhmhmhm.... pci... agp... pci-e... sli...

PCI was outdated by AGP. PCI-E outdated AGP and is now the future. SLI are two PCI-E cards working together.

Settle for an AGP or PCI-E motherboard. I'd get a 9600 or 9800 for AGP by ATI. The thing is, AGP is gonna be outdated tho. So in a year, or so, new games, your computer will suck.

Since PCI-E is the future, I'd go for that. 6800's from NVIDIA (like $400-500) and X800's are the best. But they are expensive. SLI, since it's two cards, would be spending like $1,000 for two top of the line cards. You could wait until they get cheeper and buy them. But why not just get a single PCI-E card that will probably be better than the two when they probably come out in the future?

I reccomend getting an AMD computer, having a PCI-E slot, and get like a 6600 from Nvidia for about $190 dollars.
Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:03 PM
actually, i stand by what i say, on why pci-e is better. but by clicking the link, i see that you are picking pci-e.

now, one correction, go for an amd 3500+ processor.

you must pay attention to the horror stories. a lot of people had bad experiences with cyberpowersystems. like their hardwear burning out over and over.

if you have the movey, are are serious about this, go build one.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:11 PM
Hi BoABritBoy,

Always nice to see another expat. from the U.K. around here :howdy:

I recommend that you browse this thread http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43273 before you invest in an nVidia 6600. There is a fair bit of 'techo' stuff in this thread but you will notice that people are having problems getting the 6600 to display the full range of effects in Sims2, especially bump maps.

There is no doubt the 6600 is a good card, the problems lie more with Sims2 itself rather than the card I think. It is possible the University EP could fix the problem but that would be a gamble. If the card is to be used primarily for Sims2 I would not recommend it if you want to see all the game has to offer as far as graphics goes. Most other cards from nVidia seem to be fine (so long as they are recent models and you are prepared to do some config file tweaking for some) and I have not noticed anyone report issues with cards from ATI. If you scan the linked thread you will get a good idea what works well and what doesn't.