Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#7026 Old 5th Nov 2018 at 10:18 PM
It took me since yesterday, but I believe I finally got my Downloads folder organized; dumping all of the buy/build content in one folder came back to haunt me . Everything's been separated into 'Buy_xxx', 'Build_xxx', 'Mods_xxx', and 'Bodyshop_xxx' folders. Only thing that didn't get sorted in a folder are certain mods and all of my genetic skins & eyes packages. I did delete about 36% of stuff so my Downloads folder went down to 6 GB (which will soon bloat back up because I went on another downloading frenzy )

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#7027 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 12:30 AM
@Primavera - My folder looks like this:

Underneath each of those (except custom lot material, which is kind of a mess) I then organize by creator. It keeps things nicely organized.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#7028 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 1:29 AM Last edited by FranH : 13th Nov 2018 at 12:36 AM.
The one time I want to find a specific post and I'm stuck for finding. Damn, I don't have the best words for the search of the forum. Anyone read a post that dealt with using specific times of the seasons for selecting the zodiac of pixels? I know I read it, but I didn't copy it as I should have and now I'm going nuts trying to find it using the search function.
I cannot for the life of me find the darn thing-one whole post and my mind is blank! Argghh!

Edit:
After much googling I found it,in the section-"Making the game more interesting." A few posts before mine...

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Inventor
#7029 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
@Primavera - My folder looks like this:

Underneath each of those (except custom lot material, which is kind of a mess) I then organize by creator. It keeps things nicely organized.

I can't even comprehend how you managed to do that, I feel like I aged 30 years after tackling this . This is what mine looks like @Bulbizarre. I just lumped most of them together because I didn't have the energy to separate all of them (guess which one's the largest *nervous chuckle*)

The good thing is that I weeded out all of the duplicate stair recolor packages that snuck their way in

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Scholar
#7030 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 2:31 AM
The whole patriarchy and matriarchy in Veronaville is driving me insane.

Is Tybalt Capp supposed to take his fiancee's last name? Juliette Capp can't marry Romeo Monty since his family is a patriarch-type family so I have to either kill them (to keep the story "Romeo & Juliet" true) or marry her to someone else and Romeo can continue romancing the whole Uber/Megahood.. Puck Summerdream will be "Puck Capp" if Hermia Capp and him decide to marry in future since Pucks' family is a matriarch-type family..I'm very traditional when it comes to marriages so this is going to be a very difficult thing for me to get used to, luckily it's only Veronaville that's like this. -.-

Rant/Thoughts/Imagination all in one, I guess. LOL.
Top Secret Researcher
#7031 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
The whole patriarchy and matriarchy in Veronaville is driving me insane.

Is Tybalt Capp supposed to take his fiancee's last name? Juliette Capp can't marry Romeo Monty since his family is a patriarch-type family so I have to either kill them (to keep the story "Romeo & Juliet" true) or marry her to someone else and Romeo can continue romancing the whole Uber/Megahood.. Puck Summerdream will be "Puck Capp" if Hermia Capp and him decide to marry in future since Pucks' family is a matriarch-type family..I'm very traditional when it comes to marriages so this is going to be a very difficult thing for me to get used to, luckily it's only Veronaville that's like this. -.-

Rant/Thoughts/Imagination all in one, I guess. LOL.

In my game I vary how I do family Names, if one sim is playable and the other is not at the beginning, then I go with the playable's Family Name in almost every occasion. When I am dealing with 2 sims that are both playable I usually go with the more important/numerous family name. If I am dealing with more than 2 Sims I usually go with the most important name for all of them, but not always as there might be a story line involved. If it is a case of not being married then usually I go with the mother's family name, occaisionally I might go with the name of the most important one if there is a story line reason.

So basically Story Line takes precedence, then importance of the Family involved if they are married, else if not married then family name of the mother.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Mad Poster
#7032 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 8:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
Hey, some of those bubbles say 'Sims 3' and even 'Sims 2' on them.

Yeah, but they aren't near the butt.
Mad Poster
#7033 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I can't even comprehend how you managed to do that, I feel like I aged 30 years after tackling this .

In my case, it's because I started organizing before I needed to.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#7034 Old 6th Nov 2018 at 10:26 PM
In my case, it's because I started organizing before I needed to.

Ah okay, that's fair. But I learned my lesson, and if I ever need to restart my Downloads folder I'll definitely remember this moment

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#7035 Old 8th Nov 2018 at 2:47 AM
Huh. Usually I can find all sorts of building concept art and interior paintings and whatnot to get good genre ideas, but for some reason, when I try to track down art like that for Santa's workshop, I'm coming up empty, especially when it comes to what to make the exterior look like... #ChristmasLotProblems

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Top Secret Researcher
#7036 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 11:39 AM
Why don't creators just bin their own hairs??
Lab Assistant
#7037 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 3:53 PM
How come so many sims stories have teen pregnancy in them?
Theorist
#7038 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:35 PM
The random crashing is back even though I added 8 more GB of RAM. I now have 16 GB
I wish there was a permanent fix. My simming life would be easier.

It makes me wondering what king of player never encounters crashes except those who play vanilla (They'll have to have the essential mods though).
Alchemist
#7039 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:45 PM
I would pay someone if they figured out how to make the eaves of roofs stop expanding and cutting into other parts of the building, ruining its appearance.
Instructor
#7040 Old 11th Nov 2018 at 5:50 PM
Ugh, @Essa my game use to be crashless, until last week. Now, my game randomly crashes when Sims have a party, buy clothes, change their appearance, or while saving. Thankfully, it always crashes a few minutes after I save, so I don't have much to make up. However, it's highly annoying. Last night, I used HookChecker and it found some issues. I hoping that it will stop the random crashing. My game is usually on its best behavior.

I also probably need to buckle down and install the 4GB patch. With all the CC installed and the many sims I have on a lot at times, I'm sure the game reaches its memory limit more than often.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#7041 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 1:26 AM
I love finding easy tricks to add 'realism' to the game...

Today's discovery- a 1x1 stage block, painted and tiled with metal patterns and with a large vent from the Architecture tab on the outside edge, placed below a window on the outside of a building looks like a perfect A/C unit like so many apartments use.

Forum Resident
#7042 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Huh. Usually I can find all sorts of building concept art and interior paintings and whatnot to get good genre ideas, but for some reason, when I try to track down art like that for Santa's workshop, I'm coming up empty, especially when it comes to what to make the exterior look like... #ChristmasLotProblems

It's like how some government sites don't show up on Google maps. Santa makes them hide it for security purposes.

I'm trying to figure out how I can simulate a job like a paid blogger or freelance journalist. I don't want a custom career, because I want them to stay home. Writing novels takes too long. The closest I can think of is the restaurant guide, but I don't want all the pleasure sim baggage that comes with it.
Mad Poster
#7043 Old 12th Nov 2018 at 9:31 PM
There's a mod for making novels take less time.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#7044 Old 13th Nov 2018 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
I'm trying to figure out how I can simulate a job like a paid blogger or freelance journalist. I don't want a custom career, because I want them to stay home. Writing novels takes too long. The closest I can think of is the restaurant guide, but I don't want all the pleasure sim baggage that comes with it.

Cyjon has a mod to be a Professional Blogger . It's not a custom career, it simply pays your sim for blogging on the computer. The downside is that your sim must have max enthusiasm for whatever they're blogging about. I've simulated a freelance journalist/article writer by using the Work From Home/Write Article option on the Monique Computers . A sim can write on various topics connected with skills, earning both money and skill points as they do. The higher their level in the connected skill, the more they make.
Mad Poster
#7045 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 5:02 PM
Interesting how many of the more ridiculous clothing options for both male and female Sims actually look right at home in a cyberpunk setting...

Mad Poster
#7046 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Primavera
I can't even comprehend how you managed to do that, I feel like I aged 30 years after tackling this . This is what mine looks like @Bulbizarre. I just lumped most of them together because I didn't have the energy to separate all of them (guess which one's the largest *nervous chuckle*)
The good thing is that I weeded out all of the duplicate stair recolor packages that snuck their way in

===============
I find it interesting how people arrange their Downloads folder. Noticed lots of people use folders for different creators..why is that? Is there a separate thread for this?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#7047 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monijt1
Ugh, @Essa my game use to be crashless, until last week. Now, my game randomly crashes when Sims have a party, buy clothes, change their appearance, or while saving. Thankfully, it always crashes a few minutes after I save, so I don't have much to make up. However, it's highly annoying. Last night, I used HookChecker and it found some issues. I hoping that it will stop the random crashing. My game is usually on its best behavior.

I also probably need to buckle down and install the 4GB patch. With all the CC installed and the many sims I have on a lot at times, I'm sure the game reaches its memory limit more than often.

=
I will have to ask about that. My game crashes a lot, have heard that's because RAM isn't enough for game. I thought I had plenty (8GB) but have seen others with lots more.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Theorist
#7048 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 7:09 PM
My game used to be crashless but not any more. I tried the 50/50 approach to no avail. I may have a CC issue but I have no clue.
Adding more memory now gave me this:
Quote:
System memory: 4096 Megabytes total, 4096 Megabytes free
when the second part used to be less than 4096 when I only had 8 GB.

This thought by @PenelopeT inspired me
Quote:
Since dumping my entire DL folder (best game decision ever) and starting from scratch with it and a new custom clean neighborhood as well (huge fan of the not for the faint-hearted 'Scorched Earth Approach' from http://www.woodensimolean.com/NoMoreUglyNPCs), I now only add new recolors/retextures and objects and such to my game on a lot to lot/neighborhood basis. The same goes for Bodyshop items being added per sim in the neighborhood (which is currently only 21 custom playable sims and 4 NPC/Maxis sims). Now, whenever the game does get fired up I'm very happy with how minimal it is, and tend to download more mods (currently over 1,000 game fixing/enhancing ones are installed) than content these days.

I don't want to start my hood over because I'm attached by the current inhabitants. I like to keep my hoods long-term and play one hood at a time.
I'd also like to be more mindful about what CC make it to my game. For now I was like putting every single recolor even if I only use a few of them. For example I have 40 recolours of a shirt and there are a lot I don't even like.

To start with I set a new organisation for my DL folder (a mix between Jessa's and Bulbizarre's way) and then I'll start a test hood.
Mad Poster
#7049 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
===============
I find it interesting how people arrange their Downloads folder. Noticed lots of people use folders for different creators..why is that? Is there a separate thread for this?

Mostly to keep things organized. Plus it's easier to look it up again if I know the creator's name.

Top Secret Researcher
#7050 Old 14th Nov 2018 at 10:11 PM
Mostly to keep things organized. Plus it's easier to look it up again if I know the creator's name.

I also organize by Creator so that I can change the load order easily, since I have all of the mods from MATY load first and I have all of the mods by BoilingOil load last. Organizing by Creator makes loading by creator possible.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Page 282 of 516