Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 10:53 PM
More! My sims have More Kids on average! If they're young enough to get pregnant, then they need to have more.

I view the family sim LTWs like "Marry off Six Kids" "Graduate 3 kids from college" and "Have Six Grandkids" to be desires for their kids to be happy in their romantic lives, successful in education and thus in career, and have healthy families. A sim with a Marry off Six Kids LTW will have as many babies as they can, because not all their kids will get married necessarily--they have to want it for themselves--but I don't see that as necessarily manipulative, but as a desire that their children will find someone to love and marry. If they have ten or twelve kids, then it's very likely that six of them will find someone to marry. If they have four or five kids, then it's likely that three will graduate from college and that six grandkids will turn up. I can empathize with the desire for their kids to be happy in relationships and successful, but I try to never put them in the position where a sim who doesn't want to has to marry or graduate from college in order to fulfill a parental LTW. (Grandkids? Eh, that's going to happen whether or not you like, Miss Sim, because that's how my game's modded to be.)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 11:47 PM
I have a big family mod, and only like playing families that are big. But the families are big because all the relatives live together, not because they have lots of babies. I don't let men get pregnant unless they are aliens, and lots of people never have kids. But some (especially Romance sims!) have LOTS of kids - who they either put up for adoption, or who get taken away. And THOSE babies/toddlers are adopted by relatives, gay couples, or elders.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#28 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 11:50 PM
1. Tiny houses don't work well with more than 1 child.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#29 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 12:23 AM
I do have pretty strict family planning going on in most of my hoods.

Usually the most is 2, unless they play with the 'trips and quads' hack..then they'll surprise me.

What I'll do then is turn off all fertility for that couple. "You had more than 2 so you're stuck with that."

Some couples are infertile after just one, even with birth control off.

But no family is going to go over 6 children on purpose. Do you realize how expensive college is? At the rate I charge for college, ($20k per child) 6 kids can cost $120,000 for college alone. Believe me, finding that kind of money for the average pixel family is extremely stressful for them.

Because all the kids go to college, like it or not!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#30 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:22 AM
Only 1.6, which surprised me (I thought it would be around 2.5), but I have a lot of young couples who just haven't started their families yet, so the average will go up as those couples go from 'newlyweds' to 'parents'. Of those who actually have children, the average is 2.6, so my guess was close in that respect.

At the top end of the scale, Samantha Ottomas is expecting her 11th, three families have six children, and one has five.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#31 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 1:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
1. Tiny houses don't work well with more than 1 child.

I managed 2 plus a cat on a 1 by 1. one tile CC and bunk beds.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#32 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 2:09 AM
Or you could look at my one and only upload here to date. A 1x2 house with 3 bedrooms, a nursery, 2 bathrooms and many other modern amenities -- all for under §20,000 -- furnished!. I admit one bedroom is unfurnished, but what do you expect at this price? I've played it and it doesn't even feel cramped inside. It's the ideal starter home for a couple of young Family newlyweds planning on raising a big family.

CC free and Base Game compatible!

Sorry for blowing my own trumpet, but, if I don't blow it, who will?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 2:28 AM
All of my sims are above average.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#34 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 3:23 PM Last edited by inspiredzone : 12th Feb 2018 at 4:57 PM.
Probably 4. I've never done the math. Largest family ever in my current hood was 10. They were all raised in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment. I also had one philanderer father 10 kids, but with 5 different women.

If my sims are childless or have only 1 child, it's usually on purpose. I have Risky Woohoo and they woohoo every time they get the want. If they have a baby want, I have them try for baby. The ones on birth control get to choose if they keep it (usually I flip a coin). As Gen 3-4 become adults in my hood, I'm going to start being more selective. At first, I wanted a diverse populace. Now I'm worried about inbreeding.
Instructor
#35 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 5:09 PM Last edited by TychoH : 12th Feb 2018 at 5:19 PM.
Over the years the numbers have degraded. At first all my Sims had as much children as possible (and were completely exhaused and couldn't have any contact with their children after learning how to do theit homework, because the next toddlers needed them), but over the last real life years they started to have less and less children, to the point were they could have a life outside of diapers, learning the toddler skills and surviving. The first time I made them have a date, instead of just trying for a baby (while the baby cried and the toddler screamed and the kids needed help and everything needed to be cleaned), was wonderful. Finally they had a life.

For the numbers, in my first Simming years they almost had around 10 children (who all had 1 child just because I wanted a small 'hood, because 10 children was tradition ). There are times I only play one household in an otherwise empty 'hood, so as less children as possible. In my current 'hood the first generation had all around 4 children. Now their children are growing up... I'm curious how many they will have.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I managed 2 plus a cat on a 1 by 1. one tile CC and bunk beds.

Well bunk beds kind of changes it a bit. Y'know stack 'em on top of each other like corpses. I don't have Bunk beds or CC Bunk Beds so a 10x10 lot becomes very crowed after all the furnishings I personally do to it. ...I decorate too much.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Meet Me In My Next Life
#37 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 1:06 AM
I like for my Sims to have 2 kids ( a boy and a girl ) if the Sims is ready to give birth and they already have a girl or boy I will come out of my game ( not save ) and try again until I get the sex I want.
Many years ago I had a family that had two set of twins, plus another kid after the twins, it drove me nutty trying to keep up with the going on of those children. Since then two is my limit.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Alchemist
#38 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:01 PM
generally I plan for each sim/"couple" to have equal amounts of sons and daughters; whether the offspring are through Try For Baby or through adoption or through alien abduction.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
4. Which means 2 sets of twins, generally speaking
When a Sim becomes pregnant for the first time in your game, does she set up a room as a nursery with two cribs?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Field Researcher
#40 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 1:34 PM
In most cases, so many that sometimes I do not even remember their names. It is not my fault! My Family sims usually roll a want to have 10 children! What am I supposed to do? I am just a silly girl who wants to please them *shrugs*
Mad Poster
#41 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 1:37 PM
Not at all, @AndrewGloria. Believe me, there was a time that I was looking very hard for a reason. I could not find one, so I decided to enjoy the twins.
No mods - I don't use a lot of mods anyway. And certainly no cheesecake.
Once in a blue moon, there is a single birth - which always confuses me - should I be happy, or sad?
Mad Poster
#42 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 2:28 PM
I was going to estimate this but then I decided to work it out properly for my old Widespot 'hood. Here are some stats for my Widespot.

Households: 21
Non-Prison Households With Adults/Elders: 18
Current Babies: 2
Current Toddlers: 4
Current Children: 9
Current Teens: 10
Current Total Babies-Teens: 25

Mean Babies-Teens Per Household: 1.19
Mean Babies-Teens Per Non-Prison Household With Adults/Elders: 1.39

Born-In-Game Offspring: 44
Range Of Born-In-Game Offspring: 0-5

Quite a few of my sims didn't/don't have any children. Notable sims with no children include Virginia Beech, Woody Weiss, Dixie & Jo-Ann Land and Delta Land. Quite a few sims/couples have just the one child. The highest number of born-in-game children for any sim/couple is five children. Andy Bellum had five children, two with with Helen Wheels and three with Ida Juana Knowe (triplets!). Cliff Notes & Hugh Knowe had five children between them, all through alien abduction, though Dun Knowe tragically died as a child in a garden fire. Scot & Sue Land had five children from two pregnancies; Sue died in childbirth giving birth to their twins (and it's quite possible that, had she survived the pregnancy, they would've had one more pregnancy before she went through the menopause). Theodore Ottomas has five children - one as a teen as a result of alien abduction as well as two sets of twins with his fiancée, Star Weiss - Star's ideal number of children (according to the calculations I use with ACR) is eight, so with six more days before she goes through the menopause they may well have more children in the future.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 5:46 PM
Really it depends on the sim and what they want (or if ROS decides to give me more babies - in which case my sims have no choice!), but I'd say despite that my average sim leans to around two or three babies. :D

Cove Family (ts4 family tree)
Alchemist
#44 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 7:34 PM
what is ROS?
Field Researcher
#45 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 9:43 PM
ROS = Random Occurrence Scenarios
Mad Poster
#46 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 11:38 PM
Even though my hood has only managed to get through about 10 days of gameplay so far (playing rotationally), I figured I'd do the math at this point to find the actual averages.

Number of adults/elders in the hood: 27*
Number of teens: 0**
Number of children: 2
Number of toddlers: 7
Number of babies: 5

*One elder female has an adult child.
**the hood started with 2 teens who are the only preexisting offspring in all of Four Corners-Bitville, as there are no children, toddlers, babies, or existing pregnancies at the start. Both of these teens have now aged to YA.

So... 2 children + 7 toddlers + 5 babies + 2 YA offspring + 1 adult offspring = 17 total offspring / 27 eligible sims [adults + elders] = 0.6296

...but that doesn't account for the fact that most of these sims are producing offspring as couples rather than on their own.

It would probably be more helpful to look at the eligible sims [adults + elders] and how many offspring each one has at present:

Eligible sims with 0 offspring: 6
Eligible sims with 1 offspring: 14
Eligible sims with 2 offspring: 3
Eligible sims with 3 offspring: 4
Note: currently no sim in my hood has more than 3 offspring

0x6 + 1x14 + 2x3 + 3x4 = 32 / 27 = 1.185 offspring per sim

As the hood ages, that number will rise as most or even all of the sims with zero offspring will have at least one in their lifetime.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 3:48 AM
Do Adult children count? I often have three generations in a household, it's pretty much the norm as it keeps the household count down and a lot of the long-held households are just too comfortable to leave anyway....

Anyhow, I just did a count of current babies, toddlers, kids and teens and it works out to a lowly 1.35 average per household. Which surprised me as it seems low. So a different stat: for households that currently have children the average is 1.68. Which strikes me as being more useful

Hm. Most marriages have at least one child. Every now and then you get a high fertility family sim who wants the six and they usually try to get it even if they won't live to see them all married because of odd sims lifespans, but hey, it's the journey and not the destination amirite? I also have a sixpack family guy who is content with two and has fears but never wants of having more and I am good with that too. Family size variety is more interesting.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 7:24 PM
Usually not more then 3. I can't handle more haha
Mad Poster
#49 Old 16th Feb 2018 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by saskganesh
Do Adult children count?
I'd say yes. I took OP's question to mean, "How many children, on average, has each Sim on my game had, from their own birth until now?" I took it on a per Sim basis rather than per couple, and I assumed that all Sims in my game were included in that total. That includes all toddlers, children and teens, who, needless to say, have had no children of their own yet. (That's not entirely true -- one teenage couple in Baldrair Bluffs have adopted a little girl through the Social Work department.) And should I count townies and NPCs? Well, there are no NPC parents in my game (so far), but there is at least one townie parent in Veronaville with a couple of teenage children. (I made them in CAS and didn't delete all the family ties when I made them townies.) So I think the very low estimated average number of children (my post #12 above) is really because the number of "possible" parents in my calculation is so large. In fact I never calculated the average -- it would have taken far too long -- I just guessed! I couldn't even do a per couple calculation: not all my parents are in relationships. Gloria is famously (indeed perhaps gloriously!) a single parent.

So while it's true that I can find some of the wants of Family Sims hard to relate to, that's not the real reason why my estimated number of children per Sim is so low. It's more just that so many Sims could, just conceivably, have children one day. As for how many actually will have children, and how many children they will have, I think you might be better asking the old gypsy fortune teller rather than asking me. I have never claimed to be able to foretell the future!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#50 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:11 AM
Mean, mode or median?

Mean would be about 2.4 children (range from 0-19).

Mode would be 0.

Median would be 1.
Page 2 of 3