Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#51 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:14 AM
EA has to spen more time and efforts researching their customers' wants and expectations, then they'll discover that the majority of their fans don't have any interest in all this over-sweet, way too cute, childish, cartoony, and generally LAME candy-themed stuff. Maybe, only 5-year-olds would be exited about this, but, hell, most of sims-players are much older. I'd understand them if they made an SP with some dark/fantasy/magic/gothic theme, this would match that magic EP they're working on, and would be much more liked. I like realistic stuff more, but even I would buy that. But candy stuff...

And this tendency of EA towards celebs... Do they think we are such celebrity worshipers, that we'll rush to buy everything stamped with a name of a celeb? We're not that SHALLOW! I actually like some songs by Katy Perry, I can download them/buy her album, but it doesn't mean I'm going to buy any crap that her name on it; if it is SP, it must have some quality stuff there, EA should better focus on making things that are closer to everyday life, the game definitely lacks the, Town life Stuff, outdoor Living, and Fast Lane were nice Sps to me, they were full of USEFUL items, but this Sweet "temptation" is not tempting at all. [end of vent]
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#52 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:11 PM
Ah, snap! I just figured out what the hell is going on. It explains all of EA's development decisions in the last three years or so...

...they've just had the mother of all fucking munchies since god knows when, and they've finally cracked.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:19 PM
This is freaking sad. Sims 3 has the open world and all necessary objects to make a nice, functional business lot, and yet EA refuses to code that in. All this furniture and all you can make is a non-functional shop.
Alchemist
#54 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:22 PM
It's even sadder that most RL ice cream/candy/pastry shops actually have normal shaped furniture, not giant cupcakes to sit on. So even if they gave us the stuff to build a functioning ice cream parlor or candy shop, I still wouldn't use this crap to decorate it.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#55 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 6:32 PM
Cotton Candy is spun sugar. It only takes a little tiny amount of it, to make a huge fluffy ball of toothache inducing product, which may look tempting at first, but about a quarter of the way through, your stomach start to churn and you end up throwing it in the garbage, to be picked over by ants and yellowjackets.

Hey, kinda like this stuff pack!
Test Subject
#56 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 7:48 PM
I find it quite ironic that it's called "Sweet Temptation", when temptation is the LAST thing I'd feel to get this game...
Banned
#57 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SommarBlomma
EA has to spen more time and efforts researching their customers' wants and expectations, then they'll discover that the majority of their fans don't have any interest in all this over-sweet, way too cute, childish, cartoony, and generally LAME candy-themed stuff. Maybe, only 5-year-olds would be exited about this, but, hell, most of sims-players are much older.

Do you have information to back this up? Or are you speaking from the viewpoint of "I am considering myself a TRUE fan, and all others are weak imitations"?

I think it might be safe to say that the majority of players WOULD appreciate this kind of a stuff pack. MTS is not the majority. Even the official forums aren't the majority. The majority are a bunch of very, very casual video gamers who very likely are females who are not over the age of 20. You can't just assume that you're the model fan and the company shoould base all their decisions on your opinion. How do you know they didn't do market research? How?

I couldn't give a crap either way about this SP, but this sense of entitlement has just got to stop. The world does not revolve around the people who post on MTS, and you can't keep faulting people because they don't think it does.
Instructor
#58 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AdamantEve
Do you have information to back this up? Or are you speaking from the viewpoint of "I am considering myself a TRUE fan, and all others are weak imitations"?

I think it might be safe to say that the majority of players WOULD appreciate this kind of a stuff pack. MTS is not the majority. Even the official forums aren't the majority. The majority are a bunch of very, very casual video gamers who very likely are females who are not over the age of 20. You can't just assume that you're the model fan and the company shoould base all their decisions on your opinion. How do you know they didn't do market research? How?

I couldn't give a crap either way about this SP, but this sense of entitlement has just got to stop. The world does not revolve around the people who post on MTS, and you can't keep faulting people because they don't think it does.

It must be said, however, that just because the majority of people buying the Sims aren't vocal about it on the internet and forums and the like... that doesn't mean they're the customers EA should be pandering to. While it's obviously easier to pander to the lower demographic, it's my understand that in this case pleasing the more intelligent playerbase would also please the less intelligent.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#59 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:30 PM
The majority are a bunch of very, very casual video gamers who very likely are females who are not over the age of 20.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know this for certain? What information are you basing this on?

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Banned
#60 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:37 PM Last edited by AdamantEve : 30th Mar 2012 at 8:54 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know this for certain? What information are you basing this on?

Information from over the years, polls, sales information,neilsen information, etc. The vast, VAST majority of Sims 2 players were females between 12 and 17 and a significant number of those played little more than The Sims.

What people fail to realize is that just because you were 12 or 14 or 72 or whatever when you got Sims 1, that does not mean that every single person- or even the majority of people- playing The Sims 3 are your age. It does not work that way. The major demographic of the series is now and always has been girls in their teens- not "you".
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 8:48 PM
This seems like the stupidest stuff pack I've ever heard of EA releasing. I have never bought a stuff pack for TS3 and only had two for TS2 (because I got them in some of the compilation packs) and this makes me never want to buy one...ever.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Glambert, musical geek, and country girl.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#62 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 9:23 PM
Information from over the years, polls, sales information,neilsen information, etc. The vast, VAST majority of Sims 2 players were females between 12 and 17 and a significant number of those played little more than The Sims.

What people fail to realize is that just because you were 12 or 14 or 72 or whatever when you got Sims 1, that does not mean that every single person- or even the majority of people- playing The Sims 3 are your age. It does not work that way. The major demographic of the series is now and always has been girls in their teens- not "you".

actually, you are quite incorrect. while there is a large contingent of younger female players, the Sims has ALWAYS had an equally large amount of players who were older, or male, or any other demographic you can think of. It seems like you just wish to be disagreeable. And let's be honest here, the game would not have been NEARLY as popular if it were not for the older gamers who make CC. The vast majority of people who identify as "gamers" are older than 30
Banned
#63 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:01 PM
Alright. I guess we'll just shove facts aside once again. Who needs em?
Instructor
#64 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:05 PM
Alright. I guess we'll just shove facts aside once again. Who needs em?

Maybe if you'd like to back up these supposed facts with, well, facts, it'd be harder to deny.

Instructor
#65 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:09 PM
Guys it's not about "what the customer really want!" it's about "let's make some quick shit and sell it before June" -__- and i can't believe we still pay for them -.- Like haven't anyone noticed that we've been moaning about a seasons EP even before Pets even came out?
Forum Resident
#66 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:22 PM
Adamant- ..... And what is so girly about Sims 1, 2 and 3? Exactly how does it point to females around 12-17? I don't see anything that makes a girl squeal and want to buy the game and having a guy want to buy it as well (And since Katy seems now the mascot of Sims 3, wouldn't that to be towards the MALE fanbase since I am sure Katy has nothing to do with eyecandy/sex appeal/sarcasm (Even if she is not that hot, I imagine some guys think otherwise)

Sommar- The only way they can get me to buy something with some famous person on it is if they had one on Amber Benson or some actress I like.. Which is a fat chance since she's not "famous" or "hot" like Katy Perry, infact half of the actors I like aren't not famous enough to register for that kind of thing. I am not a celebrity worshipper that's for sure, just some certain people I probably wouldn't resist wanting to be in my game:P

But seriously, is this what it's going to be now? Is Katy the "mascot" of the Sims 3 and now going to be on every EP and SP, now I don't normally buy SP mostly because they are small and I can't be bothered (Only occasional do I buy them.. Back in Sims 2). I don't understand how or why she is suddenly on this. Hilary Duff got a self sim made in Sims 2 but she didn't get far enough having her face on the game, she wasn't even in the game, just on the exchange if I recall. I won't be buying this one, okay the idea of a candy house as it seems does sound nice, but no that's not enough for me to buy this.

Seriously EA, don't make me hate Katy Perry, I don't really care for her at this point but don't make me do it.
Instructor
#67 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:44 PM
Dear God,

let it be an april hoax!!!!
Forum Resident
#68 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VampireSim
Dear God,

let it be an april hoax!!!!

People..... I think we have been had. I didn't realize that tomorrow was April Fools (Or aleast for Australia) and this was only posted like yesterday. Do you think this is really April Fools? This and the Future of the Sims thread all an April Fools joke? Because that would much more sense with the candy stuff.. I think we should wait until the 2nd/3rd and see if this is really real.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 11:48 PM Last edited by writerchick : 31st Mar 2012 at 12:02 AM.

As usual, you're wrong.

From an article when TS3 was new:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming...sary/index.html

As the "Sims" franchise continued to grow, so did its audience. A robust fan base has been feeding ideas and suggestions back to the developers as their needs and wants for the game have changed over the years.

"Our biggest demographic used to be teen girls," Humble said. "With 'The Sims 3,' we've seen that broaden a bit. It has aged upward, and clearly, it is a game that people are playing as they grow older."

Firstly, just because teen girls were their biggest demographic wouldn't have made it the majority, as you said. Much less the vast, VAST majority.

Second, it's not their biggest demographic now, though Humble doesn't say which demographic is. What he clearly DOES say is that users grow and age with the game... So maybe back in TS2 or TS1 days, those teen girls were the biggest demo, but now those same girls who are still playing, may be in their early to mid 20s.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
So maybe back in TS2 or TS1 days, those teen girls were the biggest demo, but now those same girls who are still playing, may be in their early to mid 20s.

omg, that's me!!! I am the major demographic? Well I don't want Katy Perry. So everyone should listen to me...
Banned
#71 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmotedLlama
Maybe if you'd like to back up these supposed facts with, well, facts, it'd be harder to deny.

So, what, we can make derogatory claims without any facts whatsoever ("EA doesnt do market research! I am the main demographic! Nobody wants this! Nobody would buy this! Nobody who plays the sims like this!"), but when they aren't insulting EA, you have to write an essay in support of your words?
Alchemist
#72 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 12:43 AM
So, what, we can make derogatory claims without any facts whatsoever ("EA doesnt do market research! I am the main demographic! Nobody wants this! Nobody would buy this! Nobody who plays the sims like this!"), but when they aren't insulting EA, you have to write an essay in support of your words?

An essay without some kind of documentation to back it up wouldn't be of any use.
People can make any claims they want, but if you are going to accuse them of not having the facts, you need to present some facts of your own. Not an essay, but some kind of documentation from a reliable source that supports your position.
If you don't have that, then your 'facts' are just as unreliable as anyone else's. You are free to make them, of course, but it isn't very nice of you to tell others they can't present unsupported claims as facts when your facts are equally unsupported.
Instructor
#73 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 1:58 AM

If you wish to dispute claims others are making, you must back up your dispute with provided fact that goes further than "I know this." Your supposed fact is just as disputable as anyone else's, so if you want to bring up fact and dispute others' claims, you need to provide proof yourself.

EDIT: Better said by calisims.

Alchemist
#74 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 2:02 AM
I dunno guys, this lite version of Claeric may have a point - just look at all the 12-17 year old girls who've flocked to this very thread to express their excitement about sweet temptations.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.
Banned
#75 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I dunno guys, this lite version of Claeric may have a point - just look at all the 12-17 year old girls who've flocked to this very thread to express their excitement about sweet temptations.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

It's almost like you completely glossed over how I explicitly said "MTS is not the core demographic".

People can make any claims they want, but if you are going to accuse them of not having the facts, you need to present some facts of your own.

I did.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...ent/the-sims-3/

Looking at demographics, the players of The Sims 2 base title skew female, age 12 to 17 and play moderate amounts.
Page 3 of 15