Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 1:40 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Origin update screwed my resolution
I went to play sims but instead of the usual play button (in Origin) there was some sort of update button, which I automatically clicked. When the game loaded the resolution was way off, and when I checked the graphics options the usual choice of resolutions was gone and the only option (600x800) was selected. It's unplayable. I've already tried restarting the computer, and checking my screen resolution under display settings. Any advice on how to sort it much appreciated.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 1:46 AM
It sounds like the Origin update messed with your graphics rules file. I had the same problem when I first installed TS2 on W10 (stuck on 600x800). Download the updated graphics rules here: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
Just pick the correct file for your graphics card, and follow the instructions in the thread. That's how I fixed mine.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 1:15 PM
Thanks Selly! The windows 10 version is this thread:

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6569

but I can't translate what it means! I am completely incapable of dissecting this information and understanding what to do with it! Would you be a star and have a look, and then spell it out to me as you might to a very young, slightly brain-damaged badger?
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 11:44 PM
I was only linking to the required downloads and installation instructions - the notice about "Do not use this thread for Windows 10" I believe to be more for issues specifically for that OS, rather than say, 7 or 8. The actual files can be used

Right, back to the problem in hand:

The first question is "what graphics card are you using to run your game?"
For example, I have a dual set-up on my laptop, but I force the game to use the dedicated NVIDIA card rather than the crappy INTEL chip. Hence I needed to download and install the Graphics Ruleset for Nvidia. I don't know your personal system specs, but you need to get the correct file.
Anyway, once the right ruleset is downloaded, you need to copy it to BOTH the Config and CSConfig folders in your game files for your latest expansion. From what you said it sounds like you have the UC, so your filepath would be:
\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Config\
\Origin Games\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\CsConfig\

Make sure you've copied it to both folders, or it won't pick up the changes.

Then test it by running the game. If you've got more resolution options and the "smooth edges" bar is no longer greyed out, it should be fixed. I think that was all I ended up doing to get full resolution on mine.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 9:37 AM
Agreed - I use the Nvidia texture fix from that page - reading through all the Windows 10 thread just directed me back there