Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 1:38 AM Last edited by Harrahboy : 22nd Jan 2019 at 3:05 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default (Solved) Shift and Control Keys not Working (in game only)
I have been building a a residential lot that currently has no sims living in it. I was trying to modify the wall covering in a room, but I kept noticing that the shift+click hot key to cover an entire room was not working. It had worked yesterday just fine, but now is not. I checked the control+click hot key to remove a wall covering, and it also does not work. I checked the shift and control keys with the wall tool to see if I could build a room or remove a wall, and I could not. I restarted the game twice, but this phenomenon is still showing up.

I checked my keyboard settings and I verified that the shift and control keys work in other programs. I have searched online and in the forums for similar problems, but most of these seem to be about the cheat box not opening. Ironically, I am still able to pull up the cheat box. I do have CC, but I checked both CC wall coverings and ones that came with the game; it seems to make no difference.

I saw one person who explained a similar problem as this on the MTS Sims 2 Help forums, but they said the problem went away on its own, and no one responded with a suggestion for how to solve it. Like me, they also had a Mac with the Super Collection.

What do you think is going on, and how can I fix this problem? Thank you.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 2:43 AM
Maybe try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8019728 I know nothing about mac's, just found that by Googling. I do know some people have had issues with the Super Collection.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 3:43 AM
joandsarah77, this link was helpful. I thought restarting the computer might help, but I hadn't tried it yet until the thread you linked me to suggested it might actually help. It has been corrected. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 11th Jan 2019 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Maybe try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8019728 I know nothing about mac's, just found that by Googling. I do know some people have had issues with the Super Collection.

@Harrahboy Ok I have an iMac and I play with the Super Collection. I went to the link that joandsarah77 provided https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8019728 and this page explains how to check to see what the Mac is receiving as input when you press the shift key or the control key. Do go to that page if you have not already done so and follow the instructions that will show you the Keyboard Viewer for your Mac. It will help determine what is going on. I can explain the instructions if you need that.

Otherwise what I noticed on that page is that it stated that you might try is to restart your Mac if you have the problem with the Keys working in Sims 2, as it is possible that some other game or program that you were using previously has messed up the settings for the keys in some way. RESTARTING should take care of this sort of issue.

Me I have never had any problems with the Keys that I can recall. What I have had happen is that I have hidden the Sims 2 Interface by pressing a function key and then forgot what function key it was that did it, but that is not the same thing.

The Super Collection works fine as long as you are not trying to load a lot of CC, I get the occaisional unexpected quit if I have been playing a long time and especially if I have a massive party...this is an out of memory error and it happens, otherwise it does work fine.

So try restarting if you get the same problem again and let us know if it happens after you have restarted. I don't think it will. It does not do it on my iMac.

Note: if you are trying to load a lot of CC read the link in my Signature.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.