Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 8:48 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Black lines and boxes on new laptop install
I hope somebody can help me with a weird graphics issue that I'm having with my new laptop. It should be able to run the game like a breeze (and does), but I'm being plagued by black/grey lines and boxes across the screen. I've attached a few screenshots.

The game loads up fine and I can enter neighbourhoods and lots without a problem - everything is smooth and flawless on the highest settings. However, when I open CAS, the graphics weirdness begins. I've also had it happen when I've attempted to change a sim's clothing or appearance when playing a lot. Once it begins, it affects everything except the UI and loading screens. Gameplay itself is still perfect, no lagging or stuttering, no other issues.

Lowering the smooth edges setting or the resolution in-game makes it disappear temporarily, but it soon returns if I enter CAS or change clothing/appearance.

I've tested this with and without CC, and it doesn't seem to affect the vanilla game. However, the custom content that I have installed is the exact same as I've been using for years on other systems without problems - I've just moved it over to this laptop. I've also tried in both full screen and windowed modes, but the issue is there in both.

The laptop has an i7-8550U CPU, 16gb RAM, and a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 graphics card with 2gb memory. I've installed the 4gb patch and set up the graphics rules to recognise the dedicated card, and checked that both are working correctly. Perhaps there's a graphics setting that I need to tweak?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 10:05 PM
some things to try::
-lower all graphics settings.
-change game to windowed mode.

to change to windowed mode::
1. right-click on desktop's icon.
2. select Properties.
3. in Target line add " -w" (without quotes) at the end.
4. click "Apply" then "Ok".

if both do not work and if you have enough money, might upgrade various hardware.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by palominosun
I hope somebody can help me with a weird graphics issue that I'm having with my new laptop. It should be able to run the game like a breeze (and does), but I'm being plagued by black/grey lines and boxes across the screen. I've attached a few screenshots.

The game loads up fine and I can enter neighbourhoods and lots without a problem - everything is smooth and flawless on the highest settings. However, when I open CAS, the graphics weirdness begins. I've also had it happen when I've attempted to change a sim's clothing or appearance when playing a lot. Once it begins, it affects everything except the UI and loading screens. Gameplay itself is still perfect, no lagging or stuttering, no other issues.

Lowering the smooth edges setting or the resolution in-game makes it disappear temporarily, but it soon returns if I enter CAS or change clothing/appearance.

I've tested this with and without CC, and it doesn't seem to affect the vanilla game. However, the custom content that I have installed is the exact same as I've been using for years on other systems without problems - I've just moved it over to this laptop. I've also tried in both full screen and windowed modes, but the issue is there in both.

The laptop has an i7-8550U CPU, 16gb RAM, and a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 graphics card with 2gb memory. I've installed the 4gb patch and set up the graphics rules to recognise the dedicated card, and checked that both are working correctly. Perhaps there's a graphics setting that I need to tweak?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Some of these laptops come with 2 video systems so make sure you are on the GTX 1050m and not on the intel version, if it has 2 different video systems.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 10:30 PM
So when you say you checked, you mean you checked the config-log-txt file? And the memory is reading 4096MB and your graphics card is also shown there?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 11:45 PM Last edited by palominosun : 13th Jan 2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Forgot to address a point in a previous reply
Thank you for the replies.

Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
some things to try:: -lower all graphics settings. -change game to windowed mode. to change to windowed mode:: 1. right-click on desktop's icon. 2. select Properties. 3. in Target line add " -w" (without quotes) at the end. 4. click "Apply" then "Ok".

Lowering the graphics in-game once the glitch has occurred has no effect. The only thing that does is lowering smooth edges, but even with those on the lowest setting, I encounter the same problem soon enough. I'm already playing in windowed mode, but the same thing happens in full screen, too.

Quote: Originally posted by marka93
Some of these laptops come with 2 video systems so make sure you are on the GTX 1050m and not on the intel version, if it has 2 different video systems.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So when you say you checked, you mean you checked the config-log-txt file? And the memory is reading 4096MB and your graphics card is also shown there?

I've attached my config log below. It seems to suggest everything is as it should be. When I was setting up my install, I downloaded the Graphic Rules Maker. I'm wondering whether something has gone wrong there, so I've restored my backup and am now starting again following the instructions in this thread. I'm really hoping that this makes a difference!
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-2CK6HNK-config-log.txt (10.2 KB, 8 downloads)