Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 7:09 AM Last edited by Olderkj : 21st Jan 2019 at 9:40 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default My sims' face genes won't mix
I started noticing all my sims' children looked a lot like face template #2. Didn't matter what the parents looked like, the children always got face template #2. Tested it in CaS as well with the create a baby-function, still always face template #2. Hair, eye and skin genetics seem to be working as they should, just not the face. I tried removing my downloads folder, but that had no effect. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? (This is the UC btw)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:01 AM
I presume that you've rolled the pacifier?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I presume that you've rolled the pacifier?

Yeah, this has nothing to do with first born syndrome. It's just that every sim genetically created is a face 2. Heck, even rolling the pacifier in CaS only creates face 2 sims.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:30 AM
Here's a screenshot from me testing it in CaS:

https://i.imgur.com/2tsDRKO.png
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:05 AM
Try adding the following line to your userstartup.cheat file:

faceBlendLimits off

The description in my notes says the following (I think I found this at MATY years ago):
Quote:
If that's set to on (default) then children born will be skewed towards the facial templates, either EAxis or any set of defaults you may have if present. (turning it off) can provide some unexpected results if you have a genetic blend that doesn't closely resemble any of your templates. A big issue for [original poster]... (who has) six or so sets of face replacements that they switch in and out.

I don't know for sure whether this will fix your problem, but it can't hurt to try.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 11:39 AM
I actually already had faceblendlimits in my userstartup.cheat file (I did try removing it though to see if that helped, but alas). It seems to me that the game is unable to correctly get the genetic information from the parents' faces, and just defaults to face #2 (which is the default face in the game.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 7:37 PM
Okay, that's some serious borkage there. It sounds as if the genetic coding has been turned off somehow? Time to gather more data.

First, does this happen in any neighborhood, or only in one?
Second, rename your TheSims2 folder to get it out of the way (OriginalTheSims2 or whatever, so you don't lose track of it) and let the game generate a new The Sims 2 folder. Open a neighborhood in this completely vanilla game and see if CAS genetics work normally.

These two things should help you isolate the source of the problem. If it only happens in one neighborhood, the problem is probably with the neighborhood. If it happens even in a vanilla setup, there's probably a problem in the program files. In either of these cases, report back and hope someone techie can come along and tell you how to proceed with that knowledge.

If it happens in multiple neighborhoods in your original game, but not in the brand-new vanilla one, the problem is probably related to your mods and a standard 50/50 search, as described in the game help FAQ, will probably sort it out. I know it looks intimidating, but it doesn't take as long as you expect it to. This is what you should hope for, since once you find the bad file/bad combination of files the fix is relatively simple - yank the offender out of there!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:27 PM
It still happens in the vanilla setup, so it's clearly in the program files. It's only the genetics of the faces that is borked. Hair, eyes, skin all work normally. Just out of curiosity, can one of you go to the Skins folder in your program files for the Base Game? I have a feeling there's supposed to be two files there, but I have only one (the Skins file itself).
Alchemist
#9 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 8:47 PM
a possible fix might be to replace various installation files with their disc equivalents.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 9:16 PM
Where would one find the disc equivalent? Despite what the original post says above about what EPs I have, I have the Ultimate Collection.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 9:19 PM Last edited by simsample : 21st Jan 2019 at 9:54 PM.
@Olderkj

You are supposed to have a FaceInfo file:

Either repair your game (through Origin), or you could try my skins folder (fully patched):
{Link removed as OP has fixed the problem}
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 9:40 PM
@simsample
Thank you! It was obviously the missing FaceInfo file that was the problem. It's fixed now after putting in your file.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 9:53 PM
Cool! Glad you fixed it. Remember that the Ultimate Collection can be repaired through Origin- it would be a good idea to do that if you notice any other game problems. Also check that the game install location is excluded from your antivirus scans- it could be that the missing file was quarantined.
Scholar
#14 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:24 PM
Sorry to jump on the thread, I just want to check if my game is alright since I just checked my Skins folder and there's only a Skins & Jewelry package..

This is the path I used: Local Disk (C, Program Files (x86), Origin Games, The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, Fun With Pets, SP9, TSData, Res, Catalog, Skins

Is that the wrong path to find the FaceInfo package? I have the Ultimate Collection.

Also, what does the repair option on Origin do? Will it reset my game to default? Meaning, will I have to do all the graphics rules etc again?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Sorry to jump on the thread, I just want to check if my game is alright since I just checked my Skins folder and there's only a Skins & Jewelry package..

This is the path I used: Local Disk (C, Program Files (x86), Origin Games, The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, Fun With Pets, SP9, TSData, Res, Catalog, Skins

Is that the wrong path to find the FaceInfo package? I have the Ultimate Collection.

Also, what does the repair option on Origin do? Will it reset my game to default? Meaning, will I have to do all the graphics rules etc again?

No, the FaceInfo should be in the base game folder. So Double Deluxe/Base/TSData/Res/Catalog/Skins
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:46 PM
@Fyren5 make a full backup before clicking fix in Origin, and yes expect everything to rest.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5

That file should be in the basegame folder, you are looking in the SP9 (Mansions and Garden Stuff) folder.

Repairing will check your game files against the version stored on Origin's server, and replace any missing or edited files. So your graphics rules files and any other edited files will be overwritten with the originals. Only repair your game if you have problems, there's no need to otherwise. The original poster was having a very specific issue.
Scholar
#18 Old 21st Jan 2019 at 10:55 PM
Ooooooooh, okay! I got the file path wrong, ha! Thank you so much, three of you!! Luckily I have that FaceInfo file and Skins package, so that means I'm okay!! I just thought I would check just in case because I've never heard of this before (surely someone else does the same thing as me, LOL). Once again, sorry for jumping on the thread! Won't happen again! :D