Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 4:14 PM
Default How does the celebrity system work?
Since installing Late Night last week, I've had sims gaining celebrity points seemingly at random. I settled a couple in Saaqartok and had him start playing guitar alone in his house. By the time he had one skill point in guitar, he'd also gained a celebrity point. My Midnight Sun founder, managed to gain two stars living alone on an island, not knowing anyone! Now she's able to survive by selling freebies. This is despite the fact that I've unchecked all the celebrity options in the "population control options!" I'm getting really frustrated. I worked it into the story, but now that she's at university, none of the other sims will talk to her. I could have her stand in a crowd of sims and they'd all recognize her and react to her, but no one would actually talk to her. I'm used to my sims receiving a good amount of autonomous socials, and now nothing.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 4:49 PM
You'll find information at:
Sims Wiki Celebrity Status
Carls The Sims 3 Guide

If you just Google Sims 3 Celebrity System there are more sites available
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 6:22 PM
I've read both of those, but neither have explained how my sims are gaining points just by existing.
Banned
#4 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:39 PM
Its horrible. The Paparazzi, the impression system, the bugs, etc.
1/10 would not reccomend.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 7:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tunafishfish
I've read both of those, but neither have explained how my sims are gaining points just by existing.

Sorry that those pages did not help you out. I have not played with Celebrities in a loooooong time. I do recall though, my inactives would get celebrity stars when I wasn't playing them (I play rotational).
Not sure if this page will help you out but we have some documentation with suggestions at NRaas for Managing The Celebrity System .
That's the best I have to offer up. Hopefully someone will be able to better clarify for you
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 8:44 PM Last edited by tunafishfish : 31st Dec 2015 at 8:46 PM. Reason: html problems
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Sorry that those pages did not help you out. I have not played with Celebrities in a loooooong time. I do recall though, my inactives would get celebrity stars when I wasn't playing them (I play rotational).
Not sure if this page will help you out but we have some documentation with suggestions at NRaas for Managing The Celebrity System .
That's the best I have to offer up. Hopefully someone will be able to better clarify for you

Thanks, that does help. I also found hystericalparoxism's celebrity tuning mod , but I'm unclear if that applies to the whole town or just to played sims. Regardless I'm going to pop it in and see if that helps things. I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want some sims to be famous, but not all sims. And I don't think paparazzi would care about a low-level celebrity living by themselves in the woods enough to camp out outside their door day and night and then take pictures of them fishing and write stories about it. It really makes no sense at all.
Alchemist
#7 Old 3rd Jan 2016 at 5:30 AM
Do you have NRaas' StoryProgression mod? That mod grants Sims some celebrity points every time you earn some skill points. I didn't know if this also occurs in vanilla game, but I'm sure SP has this feature.

Just call me Nikel
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 1:02 AM
I'm pretty confused about the celebrity system too. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't.

I've given "5 Star Celebrity" LTW to one of the Sims and he is taking forever to reach it. From my notes he took 5 days to get to lvl 1, 16 days to get to lvl 2, 10 days to get to lvl 3, and it's going on 18 days and he still hasn't reached lvl 4. At this rate he'll pass away before he's 5-star famous. I finally used NRAAS to check out his celebrity points level and it hasn't moved in a few days.

I think it works best when there's a bunch of 4 or 5 star celebrities in town, but most of mine have died and the game hasn't spawned any new ones.

Check out my Legacy Challenge:
Chapter 41: Do Babies Eat Sand?
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 3:32 PM
I've never experienced having my sims gain celebrity points, if I have 'Celebrities' unchecked in the demographics options. But, if you don't want your sims to be celebrities anymore, you can just use testingcheatsenabled true, and then shift-click on your sims and choose 'Celebrity' - 'Set celebrity level' and then set it to 0.
Site Helper
#10 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 5:04 PM
You can also use a function in Game Options to opt out of the Celebrity system, although it doesn't seem to work as well as it might...
I haven't had my sim being hounded by paparazzi, and people are willing to talk to him even though he would prefer them not to sometimes, but he's getting free stuff in the mail. (which I'm assuming are promotional free samples to an author who is earning 50k a week in royalties? Either that, or he's found a way to have stuff that he never owned in the first place get replaced....)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook