Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 7:14 PM
Default Sims 4 not for Windows 8???
According to the listings for S4 on Amazon, S4 will not be compatible with Windows 8. It lists Win 95, 98, XP and 7- but not 8.
As far as I'm aware the system requirements are not released yet, so is this an error (or based off of S3 compatibility perhaps); or will S4 really not work with Windows 8?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 7:21 PM
nah, must be an error, or a joke.

i've mentioned my suspect of EA's and their sims suicide attempt, but, unless this is true, didnt really believed it to be real.
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 8:57 PM
Ooh, Win 95 compatibility. Maybe they'll have a DOS version, too, for any holdouts who insist the command prompt is the only real way to run an OS (then again, even in Win 7, cmd does come in handy for some pesky situations).
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:10 PM
Well this is tragic. I can't bring my IBM PC Jr. out of the basement to use for sims 4, nor can I use my system that uses Windows 2000. I thought they were aiming for lower end computers here.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:45 PM
Might be the same for Sims 3, I have to use WinXP compatibility on my Win 8. Which is odd when WinXP is not suppose to be running anymore, right?

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 11:29 PM
Sims 3 runs fine on Windows 8 for me. And, according to the specs for S4 I see on Amazon.com: Supported OS:Windows 7 and Windows 8

So, I think the least of our worries is modern OSes... unless your OS is Apple-based. Sorry, Mac users.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 11:38 PM
I started out with sims 3 on a mac and after getting married, quickly took over my husband's PC since he had a new laptop. Anyone who has used sims 3 on a mac OS should know by now that even if they do make sims 4 compatible on a mac, it will most likely be ported through cider. It's quick, easy, and CHEAP!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Attercap
Sims 3 runs fine on Windows 8 for me. And, according to the specs for S4 I see on Amazon.com: Supported OS:Windows 7 and Windows 8

So, I think the least of our worries is modern OSes... unless your OS is Apple-based. Sorry, Mac users.

That's weird! Either they updated it after I checked or they have different specs for the different versions. I looked at S4 Premium. Did you look at S4 Limited? If not hopefully that means they have it updated and it really will run Win8.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2014 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lilysnick12
That's weird! Either they updated it after I checked or they have different specs for the different versions. I looked at S4 Premium. Did you look at S4 Limited? If not hopefully that means they have it updated and it really will run Win8.

Just looked again. Tried both editions this time.
Here is what it's showing me:
The Sims 4 Limited Edition by Electronic Arts Windows Vista / 7 / 98 / 2000 / Me / XP / 95
The Sims 4 Premium Edition by Electronic Arts Windows Vista / 7 / 98 / 2000 / Me / XP / 95

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place, but it doesn't show Win8 on the listing from what I can see.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 1:20 AM
Windows 95? Any computer still running 95 wouldn't even have enough RAM to run the game... Unless they installed it on a newer computer, but... why?

It will most likely run on Windows 8 anyway, even if the Amazon page bizarrely doesn't say so.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 1:23 AM
Imma guess there's just a generic "Windows" option and the actual system requirements will be filled in later.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:28 AM
Just looked again. Tried both editions this time.
Here is what it's showing me:
The Sims 4 Limited Edition by Electronic Arts Windows Vista / 7 / 98 / 2000 / Me / XP / 95
The Sims 4 Premium Edition by Electronic Arts Windows Vista / 7 / 98 / 2000 / Me / XP / 95

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place, but it doesn't show Win8 on the listing from what I can see.

That's interesting. If you're reading the "PC" description (which is when buying the Disc) that's the list that shows up against purchases--but I think that's default boiler-plate. If you go to "PC Download" of the Limited Edition and go to the specs paragraph directly, it only lists Win 7 / Win 8.

I still think Win 8 should be the least of our worries and we should be fine on that account. Unlike Ubisoft, EA is as least pretty good about making sure things work against the latest Windows version. It's their best way to sponge every dollar from consumers, after all.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Attercap
That's interesting. If you're reading the "PC" description (which is when buying the Disc) that's the list that shows up against purchases--but I think that's default boiler-plate. If you go to "PC Download" of the Limited Edition and go to the specs paragraph directly, it only lists Win 7 / Win 8.

I still think Win 8 should be the least of our worries and we should be fine on that account. Unlike Ubisoft, EA is as least pretty good about making sure things work against the latest Windows version. It's their best way to sponge every dollar from consumers, after all.

I was looking at the disc versions. I didn't even think to check the download versions (I never buy the downloads, I'm scared I will lose my game data if my comp dies.... again). It's weird that the download and disc versions would have different listings.

I would hope that S4 would work on Win8 since it has been out for some time and many Simmers probably have Win8 or will be upgrading at some point. I guess we won't REALLY know what will work until EA finally releases the system requirements. :P
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#14 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 2:49 AM
I would say they'd be crazy not to make it work with W8 but considering the nonsense we've seen with this game's development, really, any level of bullshit is possible at this point.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 12:14 PM
Back in the day my Windows 95 computer couldn't handle the installation process of TS1!
Scholar
#16 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 1:22 PM
Thankful I can play it on my Windows 95, just hoping Origin won't have problems with my dial up internet.
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 1:32 PM
This suddenly makes their decision to not even look at a 64-bit exe a bit more understandable, even if it just makes me paranoid that there will be a Sims 4 Error Code 12.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho
This suddenly makes their decision to not even look at a 64-bit exe a bit more understandable, even if it just makes me paranoid that there will be a Sims 4 Error Code 12.

There will be no Error 12's in TS4 ever again. Instead, they'll go with Error 29A.

Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Thankful I can play it on my Windows 95, just hoping Origin won't have problems with my dial up internet.

Ooh, wait 'til you see the size of the Day 1 patch. I'd keep your cell charger close, because no landline phone calls for you for two days.
Scholar
#19 Old 6th Jul 2014 at 3:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Ooh, wait 'til you see the size of the Day 1 patch. I'd keep your cell charger close, because no landline phone calls for you for two days.

Not necessary. My brick-sized Nokia 3120 phone can last a week without needing to be charged, assuming I don't play a lot of Snake on it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilentPsycho

Does this mean if we have a 64-bit OS we won't be able to run the game?
Forum Resident
#21 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 7:28 PM Last edited by Megido : 7th Jul 2014 at 11:31 PM.
Does this mean if we have a 64-bit OS we won't be able to run the game?

No, it just means that the game will only ever be able to use 2GB/4GB of total memory, no matter how much RAM you actually have.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
No, it just means that the game will only ever be able to use 4GB of total memory, no matter how much RAM you actually have.

I'm not super hardware savvy. Does that mean that it will run slower than it could have run in 64-bit?
Forum Resident
#23 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 11:31 PM
It depends on the game, how much memory it needs to run well, etc. Even when you hit the memory limit for an application the system will start sending the data that should go to the RAM somewhere else where it can still be accessed, but this takes longer to load from which can make games start stuttering, but again this depends on the game and I've known some to just up and crash when it hits the limit. In TS3 we had error code 12, which wouldn't allow players to save when they had hit the 2GB/4GB limit (on release the game could only use 2GB but EA updated that to 4GB later on).

Without knowing just how much memory the game will want to use and what problems could come out of the game hitting the limit, the lack of a 64-bit version right now is really only bad in that 32-bit processors and OS's are becoming increasingly closer to being outdated in personal computing and EA aren't letting people take full advantage of their systems.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Jul 2014 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
It depends on the game, how much memory it needs to run well, etc. Even when you hit the memory limit for an application the system will start sending the data that should go to the RAM somewhere else where it can still be accessed, but this takes longer to load from which can make games start stuttering, but again this depends on the game and I've known some to just up and crash when it hits the limit. In TS3 we had error code 12, which wouldn't allow players to save when they had hit the 2GB/4GB limit (on release the game could only use 2GB but EA updated that to 4GB later on).

Without knowing just how much memory the game will want to use and what problems could come out of the game hitting the limit, the lack of a 64-bit version right now is really only bad in that 32-bit processors and OS's are becoming increasingly closer to being outdated in personal computing and EA aren't letting people take full advantage of their systems.

Yikes! I don't think I ever had that error, but then again my comp could barely run TS3 anyway. :P
Hopefully they could update the issue later on and increase the RAM usage like you said they did once for TS3.