Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 11:02 PM
Default Dowloads problem
Good evening, why don't I see some downloaded files?

1. I downloaded WinRAR 2. I extract the files and divide them for each folder
3. I restarted the game three times
4. I have activated the personalized material
5. I downloaded the CEP Some files before uninstalling the game I saw them now no longer.
Maybe because I have too many subfolders?

http://prntscr.com/ljco23 - > http://prntscr.com/ljco6f -> http://prntscr.com/ljcoaa
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 11:11 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Nov 2018 at 11:26 PM.
The file path is probably too long for the game to pick up the files. Shorten the [redsimmer...] filename, and put the files from the "pooklet..." and "io" folders into that one, so there's one less layer of folders.

Not sure about that particular creator, but some people give their files ridicolously long names with too many special characters, and/or sort their files into way too many subfolders, and that can be a problem.

Try to avoid special characters in both file and folder names, or anything that isn't A-Z or 0-9 or - or _
Avoid spaces in filenames, but they seem to work alright in folder names (don't overdo it).

Special characters usually have a "code" in the file path that really only serves to lengthen the file path. You should also avoid extra punctuation marks (.;,!? because they can cause other problems, like files not showing up at all. Most files won't let you rename them to include 'forbidden' characters, but there are exceptions.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 11:11 PM
While I am not sure with foreign versions I believe you still have to spell your download folder 'Downloads' I don't see that on your screenshots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Nov 2018 at 11:21 PM
^ Not sure where you're looking, but I see a Downloads folder in the file path.
Instructor
#5 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 12:26 AM
@joandsarah77 Op has a downloads folder. The first screenshot shows it.

simmer22 might be right. It could be that file path is too long. Try removing, 'Kimberly' part from your '[redsimmer-blog] 4t2 Nightcrawler' folder.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 1:09 AM
Or maybe "redsimmer_4t2_Nightcrawler" (because the [] are completely unnecessary)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 1:37 AM
I'd remove all of the characters except the actual color of the hair and possibly the 'kimberley" from the name. It won't change the contents. It will speed up the loading of the package.
There are file renaming utilities you can use to shorten file names. It's one of my biggest beefs with creators who recolor things-they insert their name on top of the recolor twice, and it's not necessary.
As a matter of fact, I do have some recolors of the 'nightcrawler' hair by another creator and I took out everything in the file name but the color:
"Nightcrawlerhair27converted_color".

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Nov 2018 at 2:06 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 17th Nov 2018 at 2:25 AM.
I don't usually rename downloaded files unless they've got a lot of special characters I don't want, or the names are too long, because I want to be able to relocate them. For my own files I prefer naming them something like the examples below, because it keeps evertyhing neat and tidy, and I can put several files from different sets in the same folder and they'll still sort in the proper order. Having the creator's name and the set name in the filenames help if you have to relocate them. I also make sure the description for objects match the filename, and that tooltips for CAS items are the same as the file name, because then it's so much easier to find and remove or edit a file later down the line. The files are also much more searchable.

Creator_SetName_ObjectName_MESH
Creator_SetName_ObjectName_REC-Color

(if it's a conversion and I want them to also sort after the original creator's name, which I sometimes shorten)
Creator_OrigCreator4t2_SetName_ObjectName_MESH
Creator_OrigCreator4t2_SetName_ObjectName_REC-Color

(I first noticed the naming problem when some slaved shirts I'd downloaded showed with the naked skin texture. After much head-scratching, I realized there were something like 3-4 subfolders and quite long names in that folder. I put everything into a single folder, and the clothes showed up. My "favorite" long creator name used in package files is "HystericalParoxysm-DemusedSims-MTS2", which I simply shortened to "HP" for some of the longer ones. No offence to them, but that really is a too long name to use in every single file, and some of those files wouldn't show up properly, which I didn't notice until much later. I've probably seen longer names, but I like the fact that it's so easily shortened to just two letters while still being 100% clear to me it's the same creator).