Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:29 PM
Default Your Play Style vs. EA's Play Style
Judging by developer tweets and gameplay livestreams, how would you say EA's play style differs from yours?

Discuss.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:34 PM
I hate legacy style play.

I mean if it floats your boat, that's fine but *I* hate it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#3 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:45 PM
Legacy-style with loads of alien genetics and/or servo genetics involved. :D

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:46 PM
I love lagacy style play, and also rotational play like in sims 2. With the sims 3 all the neighbors just got old and died, and that sucked, hope they work on the infertility problem with the sims 4...

I hope they would create some sort of story progression in sims 4 but it has to be completely diffrent from story progression in sims 3, and majorly improved. I wish you could decide the fortune for the family your not playing, like will they continue being successful, or will they get poor? I also wish the sims in the neighborhood could accomplish something on their own and actually gain skill point while not playing them. Its not realistic nor fun to have a town full of unemployed losers without any skills, friends or sosial life...

Kofforda<3
"""""""""""""""
Field Researcher
#5 Old 28th May 2014 at 7:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kofforda
I love lagacy style play, and also rotational play like in sims 2. With the sims 3 all the neighbors just got old and died, and that sucked, hope they work on the infertility problem with the sims 4...

I hope they would create some sort of story progression in sims 4 but it has to be completely diffrent from story progression in sims 3, and majorly improved. I wish you could decide the fortune for the family your not playing, like will they continue being successful, or will they get poor? I also wish the sims in the neighborhood could accomplish something on their own and actually gain skill point while not playing them. Its not realistic nor fun to have a town full of unemployed losers without any skills, friends or sosial life...

I agree with this a lot. I'm really conflicted because I love playing legacies and the rotational play style of the Sims 2. I felt like I care so little about my neighbors in the Sims 3. I believe in TS3 you can pause some houses that you aren't playing, right? But it didn't work perfectly and changing households was a bit of a pain so I never bothered doing it. I like that sims I don't want to play will grow up on their own in TS3 and I don't have to use the same townies as spouses for my characters. But I really like the rotational play in TS2... I hope TS4 will improve upon that in some way. If somehow they will implement something where it is an easy checkbox to say which houses will progress and which will not and in which way will they progress (can they move out? get married? get a job? get new furniture? or will they remain the same except get older/die of old age? that sort of thing) and make swapping households easy without hurting your old household or causing glitches, I'd be pretty happy.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 28th May 2014 at 9:20 PM
Legacy. I just don't have the attention span for rotational play.

I do think that a better way of personalizing Story Progression would probably be best. I mean, EA would never give us Twallan style control, but options other than on and off might make things more flexible for people.

At the same time, retaining Wishes, Opportunities, etc probably would bloat the save file if you switch household frequently. Then again, maybe the saves could be more compressed and better programed this time. Maybe.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th May 2014 at 9:38 PM
I like legacy gameplay but make it optional about the rotation, I don't want to play every house in the neighborhood. If we can choose which households to be "sacred" and let the rest go on with the story progression, that would be cool. One of the reasons I left Sims 2 was the feeling of being forced to play out all the households so they don't be around for generations. I would be bored playing households I didn't enjoy.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Scholar
#8 Old 28th May 2014 at 10:10 PM
I rotate between famblies all the time in Sims 3. It's just that you need a mod for it, like awesomemod or nraas. I hope they make it easier to rotate famblies in 4. I don't play much with the dorky side of the game so I also hope they keep it in a separate gameplay or neighborhood. Like in Sims 2, there was Pleasantville and Strangetown, which I never played.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th May 2014 at 10:19 PM
No one has mentioned how their play style differs from EA's play style (e.g. when a developer does a live broadcast of the Sims 3).
Field Researcher
#10 Old 28th May 2014 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
No one has mentioned how their play style differs from EA's play style (e.g. when a developer does a live broadcast of the Sims 3).

It isn't really clear what you mean when you say that tbh. When they do a live broadcast then clearly they are trying to show off features. How does my gameplay differ? I'm not showing off features to other people, I guess. There isn't really any video like "watch me play my sim family from start until the character's children die" or whatever so I can't really compare...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th May 2014 at 10:41 PM
Biggest difference? There are actually Sims around in the world... Obviously placed down right before the demo :").
Scholar
#12 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:11 PM
All of your threads are really confusing mr. Original_Sim. But okay: it differs from my gameplay because EA wants me to play only with one family, and in a legacy, while I prefer to rotate between families with aging off.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:16 PM
My preferred playstyle is a rotational BACC. I sometimes wonder if that is the case with *any* of their recent programmers.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
My preferred playstyle is a rotational BACC. I sometimes wonder if that is the case with *any* of their recent programmers.

Finally, a comparison.

From the producer gameplay broadcasts that I've seen, the developers seem to be more concerned with doing something "cool" and "awesome" and not really all that concerned with storytelling. I think the mere notion of a rotational BAAC would go over their heads.

Personally, I love playing in rotation. I love having an entire neighborhood of sims for me to play with as opposed to playing just ONE sim as an alter ego. This is why I think many of us aren't getting what we want from recent Sims games. The developers assume we're all playing legacy style or roleplaying as just one sim and living out our wildest fantasies.

Don't get me wrong, I do that too. But not to the same extent as the "bros" at EA.
Theorist
#15 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:57 PM
TS3's open neighborhood and Story Progression obviously made any kind of rotational play problematic if not impossible, at least without mods. I've done it with mods and even then it's a challenge. I'm not sure if the devs really like legacy play or if it just made the most sense given TS3's game's design. I think they could have made it work with some effort but it would have required a boatload of customized settings, and considering how many corners they were constantly cutting in TS3 a boatload of customization options were probably never on the table. :/

I like playing legacies but when I have to kick the grown kids out of the house I hate that I have no control over what happens to them. There are only a few families in a hood that I ever care about playing, so rotating through every family in the hood would be a boring nightmare to me. I rarely care a hoot about the pre-mades, TBH. But I would like a way to play a few houses that I care about without having to worry that they had 5 children or adopted 2 pets, or divorces their spouse, or lost all of their money by buying nonexistent real estate while I was playing another household. But be careful about claiming that it wasn't all about telling stories since that's a hallmark marketing line for TS3. Apparently that's all TS3 is about. LOL

Personally I think the devs "playstyle" is all about whatever the current demographic is that they're after, in order to bring new players to the EA fold.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 29th May 2014 at 12:17 AM
Judging by developer tweets and gameplay livestreams, how would you say EA's play style differs from yours?

Judging by how poorly made TS3 was, my guess is that most of them didn't even play the game.
Instructor
#17 Old 29th May 2014 at 12:25 AM
Honestly I don't know what is "EA style"

I never tried playing in rotation, simply because the game wasn't designed for this and making it work the old school style is just too much work, and i'm not a control freak, so i don't care what my townies are doing. Sometimes i move into the neighborhood other families that i make, but i don't play them, i just like them to fill the space and see what they do.
I usually play legacies, if i like a sim very much i might extend their lifespan, but they all end up dying sooner or later. I just like to see how a family evolves and their genetics(even if ea genetics are crap), My sims always end up with lots of kids, those that i find interesting stay in the household, and those who i think are boring, i just move them out and check on them later to see if they got married or had kids and stuff.

Obviously, all this with the nraas mods, story progression, woohooer, the panel mod(sometimes i like having more than 8 sims, it's kinda crazy to control them all but it's fun), otherwise it's impossible(ea story progression is crap). I set the mod to no immigration because i want to avoid the pudding faces at all cost, and even if some pudding face infiltrates in my neighborhood and starts some romantic affair with my townie, they get eliminated in no time, i don't want the pudding gene in my town. Also no emigration, nobody is allowed to leave.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th May 2014 at 12:31 AM Last edited by gazania : 29th May 2014 at 12:42 AM.
I haven't seen enough of Sims 4 to form an opinion on how its game play will differ from mine. (Sims 2)

I play rotational and I micromanage. Time had better stand still while I'm rotating families. I have no interest in coming back and finding that my local bad girl or bad boy has married and now has a couple of kids, or kicked the bucket. There will be no dissent with my vast eternal plan, thank you very much. I will even stop or speed time if I choose. And when I speed time, I want it sped! (If I recall, some people complained that you couldn't speed time effectively with Sims 3. I'm positive that has been properly modded by now.)

I have at least twenty households going on at the same time now. While I TRY not to have a college student father a kid who is around thirteen by the time I get to that household, if that happens, oh, well. I'll sort it out.

It's a good thing I'm not a deity in real life.

I don't play legacies ... well, I dabble in them, actually, once in a while, but am not really into them.

Over the years, many of us believe that Sims 2 appeals more to rotational players; Sims 3 to legacy players. (Without mods, and of course, this isn't a hard and fast conclusion.) So this is an excellent topic ... which way will Sims 4 lean here? Rotational or legacy? Or will it be some sort of hybrid?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 29th May 2014 at 2:04 AM

Mine isn't scripted.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 29th May 2014 at 2:27 AM
slightly OT but i just realized i don't even remember the rotational style of play anymore. i know i did it, obviously, but i can't even imagine it now.

*on* topic: when EA plays, they design sims specifically to carry out the kind of lifestyle they want to show (obviously, for marketing reasons and to show what they've got going on) but i usually do the opposite. i may give a sim 1 or 2 traits that will set them in a specific direction, but i try to leave room to play with. i don't like them to be too carefully designed. also i've noticed that EA doesn't tend to lock their sims in rooms with nothing but a burning stove and some chairs but sometimes i do? weird. different strokes, i guess.
Theorist
#21 Old 29th May 2014 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I haven't seen enough of Sims 4 to form an opinion on how its game play will differ from mine. (Sims 2)

I play rotational and I micromanage. Time had better stand still while I'm rotating families. I have no interest in coming back and finding that my local bad girl or bad boy has married and now has a couple of kids, or kicked the bucket. There will be no dissent with my vast eternal plan, thank you very much. I will even stop or speed time if I choose. And when I speed time, I want it sped! (If I recall, some people complained that you couldn't speed time effectively with Sims 3. I'm positive that has been properly modded by now.)

(snip)

Miracle of miracles, that time speed thing is actually one of the things that eventually got fixed by the Sims team. Even more amazing, it stayed fixed, even after multiple other teams worked on the game and we got multiple patches after that.

They did manage to break the pause button at one point so your game started up immediately even if you left it on pause when you quit. But they eventually fixed that, too.

Amazing, I know.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th May 2014 at 4:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Miracle of miracles, that time speed thing is actually one of the things that eventually got fixed by the Sims team. Even more amazing, it stayed fixed, even after multiple other teams worked on the game and we got multiple patches after that.

They did manage to break the pause button at one point so your game started up immediately even if you left it on pause when you quit. But they eventually fixed that, too.

Amazing, I know.

I thought speed 3 not working properly had something to do with the gamer's graphic card/settings, at least this is what I'm getting when googling the issue. the other complain people had with the speed was speed 4 not being faster than speed 3 but speed 4 was never meant to be faster - it's just speed 3 until current task is over when then it's back to speed 1 (a feature I hope EA doesn't loose).

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I haven't seen enough of Sims 4 to form an opinion on how its game play will differ from mine.

This ^^
It's hard to pinpoint spesific things about the game when we know almost nothing about gameplay. Sure we have a CAS video and a super fast build video but nothing about gameplay except a mention about a few objects we know are in game, piano, violin, punching bag and a few others.

Some interview mentioned that TS4 will have global aging. This indicates to me that there will have to be some type of SP otherwise your hood will just die if nobody is having babies. I hope EA gives the option for lot specific aging and keeps the option to turn off SP. Then my gamestyle and EA's wouldn't differ.

I never fund adapting TS3 to my own gamestyle to be very difficult. Even changing households is as easy as right clicking a sim with selector. I mean it doesn't get easier than that.
Theorist
#23 Old 29th May 2014 at 4:17 AM
It's been a while now, but the way I remember it, the fast speeds didn't work at all when the game was first released. I guess I'd have to do some research to verify if my memory is correct.

Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#24 Old 29th May 2014 at 7:25 AM
I'm a multi-generational BACC sort of player. . . aka, Legacy Rotations. I'd love to see how they sort that out if it were possible. But honestly TS2 is fantastic for the gaming I do. Families are put on hold time/age wise while I play, can go several generations, and rotational all at once.

Take the Hard Hat Challenge. A relatively quick challenge designed to be added into almost any established hood.

Hollow Tune - Brick 'N' Mortar.

{San-Yip-See-Ah}
Scholar
#25 Old 29th May 2014 at 10:31 AM
I don't know how any "Ea style" or Sims 4 style differs from my style of game play.

What can I tell you is that my game play is more like a soap opera movie. Anything can happen at all times! This might sound weird but if I want my Sim to fall in love they will fall in love. If I direct a Sm to Woohoo with an attractive person they will do so. This is just one of the many examples of my game play. I use to do legacy family but not any more, I have to play and rotate different families just like a soap opera or movie would. Wash, rinse, dry and I repeat.
Page 1 of 3