Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:27 PM
Default Delay: Yay or Nay?
The game is scheduled to come out September 2nd, less than three months from now. It is still in Alpha stage. That's not a good sign.

Good things have come out of delays in the past. TS2's delay added aspirations. TS3's delays added CASt (correct me if I'm wrong).

I encourage a delay if it brings about a solid, stable game. I'll take waiting six to eight months versus a game riddled with bugs.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:38 PM
Absolutely agreed. My biggest fear right now is that they continue on track and deliver TS4 in TS3 style--with bugs, glitches, crashes, and basically everything that ruins a new shiny.

--Sapphire

Someday, I want to work for EA so I can give The Sims franchise the jump-start kick in the ass it deserves.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:42 PM
It's in advanced Beta stage. What we've seen in gamescon was the Alpha. I do want a delay if it means that we'll get fully finished, optimized game.
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:52 PM
I am personally aswell for a delay, if they need the additional time. Better as cut out features who are already half or nearly finished, but wouldn't be ready in time, or game breaking bugs, who are never fixed.
Alchemist
#5 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:55 PM
I'm at the "yay" pride parade as well. When in doubt, drag it out. When certain, raise the curtain.
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 8:29 PM
I'd really like to see some actual gameplay! That's the only way to get a true understanding of what we can expect and with a lot of confusion lingering about the world, loading times etc... I just don't know what my thoughts are about purchasing this game are anymore. If a delay would help bring a solid, smooth and enjoyable game with less limitations I'd be all for it.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:07 PM
I doubt they will delay it, but I would probably go "YAY!" if they did.
Scholar
#8 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 9:13 PM
People are making too much out of the "alpha" terminology. The PS4 game Destiny is currently letting some console players download and play what is clearly marked as an alpha version right now (this weekend). It is also scheduled for launch in early September. The presence or existence of an "alpha" version (for demo or online testing purposes) doesn't mean that's the only version that exists.

If any delay occurs, it'l be extremely minor, weeks at most. But I don't believe it'll be delayed.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:38 AM
I'm not paying $70 to be a Beta tester. So I guess that puts me in the yay category.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:13 AM
Why are we treating it as gospel that the game is going to be an unfinished alpha (or beta) on September 2?

I'm as skeptical as the next person but honest to god, you people take it to a whole other, detached from reason, level.
Theorist
#11 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:22 AM
No they don't. This is healthy skepticism toward a company that deserves it. Oh, okay then - trust EA completely and forget all about Spore and SimCity and how they keep us in the dark so that we will be happy with any news because it's at least something.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
No they don't. This is healthy skepticism toward a company that deserves it. Oh, okay then - trust EA completely and forget all about Spore and SimCity and how they keep us in the dark so that we will be happy with any news because it's at least something.

Quote: Originally posted by Tuber101
I'm as skeptical as the next person

Fail.

The point is, and apparently I wasn't explicit enough, that while EA has at times dropped the ball, there is nothing that we've seen thus far to justify this irrational insistence that the game will be alpha- or beta-staged at release. In fact, the most recent videos we've seen look pretty darn polished. There are plenty of things to not like without making up things to be angsty about.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:55 AM
I'm not holding my breath for a delay, but I'd prefer it. Either way, I personally will delay buying it until I hear that it's stable, and even then I'll likely wait for it to go on sale since I'm still thoroughly enjoying Sims 3 and haven't even played anything to do with the last 2 expacs I bought for it (they were on sale!)
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 5:06 AM
I believe EA has done more than just "dropping the ball" in more than just a couple of times. Maybe half ot the EP's from sims 3 were, maybe not betas, but completely far from polished games. I mean, come on, it took about 2 hours after release for the gamers to realize the moon cicles and zombies from the Supernatural EP were not working properly. It wasnt something people found out after days from release, I think that says a lot about what their "finished" products are.
If we are totally optimistic, then yes, even when I'm not intending on buying, if I was, I would support a delay IF it means a FINISHED product as we know it, not as EA does. But I don't think that will happen even with a delay.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:09 AM
I'm definitely in the yay camp. I'd rather be patient and wait for a fully functioning game that I can enjoy.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 8:40 AM
I'd be fine with a delay because a delay would mean more development time, witch mostly would mean a better game, or at-least one thst won't crash after a game day or have save error 12, the two reasons i don't play the sims 3 much (even if it's the worse game play wise haven't had a real chance to decide) and just play the first 2, and other random games
Scholar
#17 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:31 AM
It will look bad anyways - might as well come out already so I can play it for a few days and get it out of my system.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 9:48 AM
everybody sing with meee!

99 coded bugs in the game!
99 codes with bugs!
take 1 out, patch it around!
102 coded bugs in the gaaaaame!

ok serious now I would say yay I better have a bug free/minimum game that needs more time then something half finished and rushed

Visit my Dreamwidth for my latested uploads!
~Babbelsim~
Scholar
#19 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 10:27 AM
I'm all for delaying. Better they bring out a semi-decent game that took longer than a shit-fest that was rushed out, which only hurts the fanbase and makes them think nobody gives a shit about them anymore. (Wait, have they ever? Well for Ts2, yes...)

C-A
Mad Poster
#20 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:28 AM
I have no idea what all the game terminology means, but I'd rather a game be delayed than shipped broken.
One Minute Ninja'd
#21 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:36 PM
Remember, this game was already delayed for a significant period, so whatever is released on September 2nd will be the "delayed for a better game" version. Besides, there is no reasonable amount of time available to possibly make further changes that would restore features some of us really liked in the most recent version.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Remember, this game was already delayed for a significant period, so whatever is released on September 2nd will be the "delayed for a better game" version. Besides, there is no reasonable amount of time available to possibly make further changes that would restore features some of us really liked in the most recent version.

Yeah, I thought that TS4 was initially slated for a first quarter 2014 release but that may have been only speculation since I can't seem to find any official information about that online.

Anyway, like a couple of other folks mentioned, I just assumed that the version at E3 wasn't the exact same version that they're preparing to release. There was such limited video and they showed pretty much nothing in the game demos except for CAS, so it appeared that EA employees were sent to E3 with the absolute minimum to show. Graham's enthusiasm about the game is very infectious - I enjoyed his interviews very much and the one that SimsVIP did really gave me life. But he made it clear that EA is holding their cards close and for some reason don't want to give out too much information about the game, which would explain the lack of gameplay demos and the peculiar way that the producers demo'ed CAS by making Sims of other people instead of allowing those people to make their own Sims (seems like a better way to do it if you really want to show how easy the push/pull CAS hand tool is).
I am hoping that all of this secrecy is because the game is totally, incredibly, impossibly awesome. *fingers crossed* Graham's excitement seemed genuine and I hope that is a good sign.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 2:36 PM
Of course, all the encouragement to delay assumes (quite wrongly) that days delayed has a strong negative correlation with amount of bugs at release. TS4 will have bugs, just like every other gaming title that has ever been released. And just like every other game that has ever been released, it will be frustrating and people will be unhappy that this game they purchased doesn't work the way they want, and all those complaints will be completely legitimate, and all this will be regardless of the timeframe of the release.

From the way some people are jumping up and down on EAxis, I would have thought the consensus would "get the game out before they have a chance to screw it up more".
Field Researcher
#24 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 2:40 PM
According to The Mare's Nest, there was some signage in UK stores that said, "The Sims 4 - coming March 2014".
Alchemist
#25 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I have no idea what all the game terminology means, but I'd rather a game be delayed than shipped broken.

It's an EA game. It can be delayed and still shipped broken.
Page 1 of 3