Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #4 - posted on 19th Feb 2018 at 4:46 PM
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 788 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 3:17 PM
Default How to make a transparent object (more) refractive?
So I have these glass block wall pieces that are quite nice, but I'm not entirely happy with them. And seeing as I currently have an '80s theme going on in my builds, I know I'll be using these wall pieces a lot more than I already have. They're a common feature in '80s interior architecture and I'm quite fond of them within that context.
The problem is that they don't seem to refract light. It's just a grid-like mesh with a semitransparent texture overlaid on it on both sides.
I get the distinct impression that everything you see through these wall pieces is slightly blurred, and the framerate drop caused by them would seem to support that, but I really need it to be a stronger and more noticeable effect. I think I'll need to change the shader, considering I've seen other objects with more convincing refraction effects in TS3, but I don't know which one or how.

So really, I think and I hope it's as simple as changing a shader somewhere. Please let me know.

Thanks

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 4:23 AM
Yes, it should be just a change of shader settings in TSR Workshop. If you like that sims 3 shower shader settings, clone that object -> mesh tab -> choose the group (part of the mesh that is the glass) ehh im just gonna take a pic

the glass part of my table shows up black in tsrw and I know it is the group 1 of my mesh. so click the material line and then "..." as you can see in the pic. Then you just manually copy whatever is in that shader to your object into the group where the glass is. I have no idea how your mesh is constructed so I can't give more detailed instructions.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:20 PM
TSR Workshop doesn't work for me.

Already renewed for '89!

MakeNeedsStaticOn
staff: super moderator
#4 Old 6th Feb 2018 at 7:01 PM
they can be edited through S3PE. It's more of a pain to find it with S3PE though since you have to exactly know which mesh is the one you wanna edit. Now you successfully changed the shader to glass so I guess you probably know which mesh that should be. What I usually do, since I do think the shaders for, say the shower (which will be the easiest to check) have different values whereas your glass shaders might have the more common ones.

I explained a bit about that right here: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...931582876/sdkfj

Now in your case, I'd clone the shower in S3OC, open it's package and see what the MTNF values are. Just a small tip though, which I didn't include there, you can click on the 'mtnf' and right next to it there will be a 3 dotted button. That should make it more easier to fill the values in and to see where you are. So in your case, copy paste all the values of the shower to your glass mesh (except for the UVselector or anything UV related).
I'll try explain it a bit clearer when I got time
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 3:01 AM
Hey that sounds doable! I'll try that out, thanks.

Already renewed for '89!

MakeNeedsStaticOn
staff: super moderator
#6 Old 7th Feb 2018 at 1:10 PM
Let me know how it's working out for you! It's kind of a confusing progress if you're new to the grid system and values and such