Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 31st Mar 2015 at 8:03 AM
Yeah, okay. I reckon no. 2 is probably the best of the 4. I'll have a look in my game, since I have quite a few of those shorter styles, but you've probably got them covered.
Simmy beat me to it, but then that's just fine I'm not sure the corners should be raised, but I do agree that the nose should somehow be slimmed down - right now it seems a bit bulky. I see how it might be tricky, I can tell from the profile that it's not actually as bulky as it seems. You'll get it and I'm sure you understand my ramblings. You usually do I too like the chin and jaw, knowing Sims' limitations
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 9:51 PM
Okay, so I caught the note on Cheryl's cheekbones. I'm not going to re-post her pictures since it was such a tiny edit. Here is the update on Malory. I think part of the issue is that she has really "swoopy" eyeliner and it makes her eyes look like the outer corners turn up really high. I may have to work on some different eyeliner for her. I still have to tune her hair color.

Also, I'm going ahead and posting the next in the series - Ray Gillette. Feel free to comment on either or both. Ray's mustache is not quite right yet. There actually isn't one that even remotely looks like his pencil 'stache and I'm having to edit one into submission... Not quite there yet, but closer. (Those brows, though are freaking spot-on!) I wish I had a better pompadour for him, but this is the closest I could fine. May have to work on a re-texture for it.

Screenshots
Scholar
#28 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 12:42 AM
Getting better! For Malory, I think her whole face - or at least her jaw - should be wider. The upper lip needs to be taller up and down and the mouth corners not quite so much turned down. Eye shape looks good to me. The nose needs to be fuller above the tip so that the tip is not so distinct. Also, the narrowest part of the nose should be between the eyes - not in the middle - making the nose more triangular. Perhaps moving the nasal bridge indent up will help. The nose may need to be wider still. She appears to have a bit off outward "hook" to her nose instead of it being at a straight angle from the side. Good job on Ray! His eyes need to be closer together, the chin slightly less wide. From the side his nasal bridge needs to move up to the top of the iris, if possible. His nose may need to be a big shorter up and down but, mostly, it needs to have less length from the side - be more "smushed" - and have a definite outward "hook". Looking forward to an update!
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 7th Apr 2015 at 12:59 AM
I've never really watched Archer, so I don't know the references, but I absolutely LOVE your sims! The women are brilliant! I hope you will share them after they're done!
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 16th May 2015 at 2:14 PM
Finally! A long overdue update to the Archer crew.

For Malory, I adjusted the face/jaw width, upper lip, mouth corners and quite a bit on the nose.

For Ray, I change his hair, mustache, edited his nose, adjusted his chin and eye spacing. For Ray's stache, I made another (and by "made", I mean I edited the beard off of one of EA's...haha) Unfortunately, while the 'stache texture is straight, it get warped because of the shape of his mouth. Unless I make one that is bowed in the middle to compensate for his mouth shape... This is about as good as I can make it. I also REALLY wish I was better at doing hair retexturing because his hair definitely needs some help... AND CRUD! I forgot to change his eye color to brown again. They are supposed to be brown, not green/hazel.

Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 20th May 2015 at 12:21 AM
I really hate bumping my own thread, but it has been 3 days since I posted the last update... Are Malory and Ray ready to go then? Shall I move on to the next cast member?
Instructor
#32 Old 20th May 2015 at 11:05 AM
Sorry dear, I've been moving abroad - so only just got my beloved internet back
I love that blond guy, he looks fab! Absolutely only thing is his nose in profile, but I reckon that's probably hard to do anything about without ruining the sculpt. Please don't change him (unless you ship me a copy of him as he is now)
I loved Malory, but I don't agree with the recent change to her nose - it seems too full for me now. It's like it's almost clipping at the sides. The one before seemed spot on to me. But then, keep in mind that I am sort of browsing though at some speed, since I've got a lot of catching up to do. Apart from that, I think they both look great!
Great job - as always :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 20th May 2015 at 8:16 PM Last edited by ameenah.n.y : 20th May 2015 at 8:48 PM.
They both look excellent to me. I really really love Ray! I agree with Tigerdyhr about Mallory's nose, but it doesn't bother me excessively. As for Ray's hair, if you like Pooklet's textures and Anubis's EA control, PrettyLadyBabies has a few store hairs available on her Mediafire here. (That hairstyle is either Teddy or The Bee's Knees, right? She has done both of those.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#34 Old 23rd May 2015 at 6:59 PM
Thanks Tiger & Ameenah! I think you are both right about Malory's nose. Noses are so temperamental in sims. One little pixel too far and they fubar and it's hard to get them back to they way they were.

@Tigerdyhr - What about Ray's nose in profile?

Sooo. Here are Malory and Ray as they currently are. For Malory, all I did was try to thin out her nose a bit. For Ray, all I did was change his eye color and put on PLB's retexture of the same hair he originally had.

And then I've moved on to the next cast member - Cyril Figgis. I cannot find any reference photos of him without glasses, so he's going to be a little harder to work with. I'm going to have to try my hand at hair retexturing in order to get the graying pattern for his hair. We'll see what happens.

And, for anyone interested here is the cast list as it currently stands - almost there! Just have to finish Cyril and then start Krieger and Woodhouse for the main cast.

Definites:

Sterling Archer
Lana Kane
Pam Poovey
Cheryl/Carol Tunt
Malory Archer
Ray Gillette
Cyril Figgis - in progress
Dr. Algernop Krieger
Woodhouse

Possibles:
Katya Kazanova
Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend
Slater
Babou (the ocelot)
Barry Dylan
Conway Stern
Brett Bunsen
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#35 Old 23rd May 2015 at 7:36 PM
I would make his face a little bit wider and shorter.
Instructor
#36 Old 24th May 2015 at 10:33 AM
Nothing major, it just seems like the point is a bit long and the bridge not quite "out" enough. I'm not sure I know how to better say it.

Leave it as it is, he's gorgeous

I'll come back to Cyril when I have a little more time
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 24th May 2015 at 3:18 PM
@Tigerdyhr - Ah, I see what you mean about Ray's nose. I'm a little afraid to touch it though. I might make a backup save and see if I can tinker it just a tiny bit. (I think Ray has really turned out well all-in-all. He's probably the best of the bunch.)
Instructor
#38 Old 24th May 2015 at 6:22 PM
I agree - he's absolutely amazing and the nose is such a tiny thing I don't think you should risk it. Very well done.

As for Cyril, I can see the challenge. You're very close though, in my opinion. He does appear to need a little more volume in his face, and I think his nose should be slightly shorter. In the reference pic, it looks as though the nostrils are right under the edge of the glasses. Perhaps his lower jaw should be pulled back just a little too...

Looking forward to this - I see a few challenges on your list to come But you're doing really well, I would not have the patience, nor skill for it
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 31st May 2015 at 4:32 PM
Alrighty then. More updates on Cyril. I widened his face and shortened his jaw and nose as suggested. I still haven't attempted to retexture his hair. (I understand the concept and have even attempted re-texturing other hair... but not that I would show in public! haha)

Screenshots
Scholar
#40 Old 31st May 2015 at 10:47 PM
Great job! I'd say shorten the chin a bit and narrow the bottom lip (side to side) a little. Otherwise, he looks good to go!
Instructor
#41 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 8:33 AM
Looking good! Is it possible to bring his eyes a bit forward?
Instructor
Original Poster
#42 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:14 PM
So, a little work on Cyril's chin, mouth and ... uhm... whazzit... OH! Yeah, pooched out his eyes! That's it.

Please ignore the absolutely horrid re-texturing of his hair! Haha That is still very much a WIP.

if any Moderator types are reading this - what is the policy on re-texturing of store hairs? Does it have to be a default replacement since I didn't alter the mesh at all? (though I may have to change the mapping to get the grey in the right place) Or is retexturing/remapping enough of an edit?

And since the consensus was that Cyril was pretty close to done, I started in on Dr. Algernop Krieger (and yes, he will in fact have a flesh-colored diving suit... eeeewww) I tried using the fuller base game beard, but it looks horrid actually. And I can't quite find the right hair for him. This is the least horrid (and it happens to be the same hair that is on Sterling Archer oddly enough).

This is the only other hair that is close, but it's too thin, and like with most skins, there is a yucky line where the face ends and the scalp begins (had the same problem with Mr. Clean)

Screenshots
Instructor
#43 Old 2nd Jun 2015 at 7:21 AM
Could you perhaps raise the corners of Cyril's mouth just a smidge? From the pictures he seems to be close to a permasmirk, without actually having it.

I see the difficulties with Krieger. I suppose, since the beard has to be different, that the hair will also have to be. I'll have a think on him. The only thing I have right now, is that I think perhaps his brows should be raised a bit?
Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 2:30 PM
Hi! Remember me??? Yes, I still live and no, I've not abandoned this project. Just had to go on simbbatical for health reasons. Soooo..... I never did really get any feedback on Krieger... I'm not saying I will jump right on working him immediately as I'm still recuperating, but some encouragement might get me going again.

And I have no idea what to do with Cyril's hair since I failed at retexturing it (the way it's mapped makes it near impossible to get the grey just at the temples).
Instructor
#45 Old 8th Sep 2015 at 8:11 AM
Woo! I hope you're fit for fight again

Re-reading, yeah, allI have is adding that I-know-better smirk thing he seems to have going on (mind you, I never saw the show).

And I'm sorry, but I'm in a hurry so I haven't read the full thread, but is there anything usable in here: http://digitalperversion.net/garden...p?topic=30183.0 ?

I'll get back to you on Krieger, promise

Good to see you back
Scholar
#46 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 3:41 AM
For Krieger, I'd suggest making the bottom eyelid rounder, the tip / bulb of the nose larger, and raising the cheekbones and/or increasing the "gauntness" of the cheeks. The sim's face doesn't necessarily look too wide but a little too full below the cheekbones - at the jowls. Great work!
Instructor
Original Poster
#47 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 6:13 PM
@Tigerhyder - The issue with Cyril's hair is that 90% of the mesh is mapped to one single area on the texture files, so almost ALL of it will end up tipped in grey. I cannot separate out just the temple area to be tipped... (Which is what happened in the photos above). I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough to find/separate out just that section of the mesh and re-map it. (Using milkshape for me is sheer torture)

@SimmyRN -Okay, I see what you are saying about his cheeks. I'll see what I can do with him.
Test Subject
#48 Old 12th Jan 2016 at 1:57 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if there was any update on the Archer sims? I'm really looking forward to their eventual release!
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 8:54 PM Last edited by k2m1too : 25th Jan 2016 at 9:08 PM.
Uhm... yeah... about that... Kinda hit a roadblock on some of the characters and it derailed my enthusiasm in finishing them. As you can see from the above posts, Cyril doesn't have proper hair. I have ZERO talent in re-texturing hair. I know *how* to do it, but I don't have the skill to pull it off. And to make it worse, in order to get the grey at JUST the temples, I would have to remap the hair texture to isolate that part. (almost ALL of that particular hair is mapped to one spot!!!)

Also, I don't have a proper mustache for Ray. And I don't have the right beard or hair for Dr. Kreiger. Believe me I have *tried* repeatedly to make convincing facial hair and have failed horribly at it. I get the concept, but I really just have no talent at drawing the textures.

Sooooo..... I'm stuck, you see. =( And sadly, I don't know anyone who does that sort of thing well enough to ask for collaboration/help. Anyway.. it kinda sucked the wind out of my creative sails, so to speak.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k2m1too
Uhm... yeah... about that... Kinda hit a roadblock on some of the characters and it derailed my enthusiasm in finishing them. As you can see from the above posts, Cyril doesn't have proper hair. I have ZERO talent in re-texturing hair. I know *how* to do it, but I don't have the skill to pull it off. And to make it worse, in order to get the grey at JUST the temples, I would have to remap the hair texture to isolate that part. (almost ALL of that particular hair is mapped to one spot!!!)

Also, I don't have a proper mustache for Ray. And I don't have the right beard or hair for Dr. Kreiger. Believe me I have *tried* repeatedly to make convincing facial hair and have failed horribly at it. I get the concept, but I really just have no talent at drawing the textures.

Sooooo..... I'm stuck, you see. =( And sadly, I don't know anyone who does that sort of thing well enough to ask for collaboration/help. Anyway.. it kinda sucked the wind out of my creative sails, so to speak.

Oh no, that's such a pity

Hope you find that creative spark and streak again!
Page 2 of 3