Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 4:40 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
I accidentally deleted the userPresets package file
This is somewhat related to my last post, as I was trying to clear caches to reduce lag in my game, but I somehow ended up deleting the userPresets package file that basically breaks your game if you remove it. This was not my first time clearing my caches, but I must have removed this file on accident. My game immediately started crashing when I tried to start it up, so I moved the file from the recycling bin back into The Sims 3 folder. I honestly have know idea if you can just do it that way or if you have to completely reset your files, but I did find a missingdeps.idx file in the DCCache folder that I heard made many other players games crash. After I deleted the file it seemed like the game started to launch but it failed yet again. I checked and the file is no longer in the DCCache folder or anywhere in The Sims 3 folder. I need advice on what to do to get my game up and running again. )=
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#3 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 9:28 AM
Hello ^^
I dont think the reason that you mentioned is the root of your game crashing.
As the person above me said UserPresets is safe to delete it just contains CAST information (clothing-presets,patterns,hair recolours) simply restoring from the bin(after deletion) as you said it wouldn't cause any problems either.
Missingdeps.idx and everything that ends in .tmp in DCCache are also safe to delete, they are just files that regenerate everytime you use the launcher , so no issues deleting them.
However .dbc files deletion from DCCache causes issues since it contains the information of all your downloaded cc so if you deleted them you are basically uninstalled everything from your launcher.
If you delete even one it may also cause a half installation problem.
So perhaps your launcher is going crazy cause trying to show you all the uninstalled content you have at once or its missing something because you delete one .dbc file for example.
In case you deleted them and they are still on your bin simply restore them.
Again i am only speculating what may have happen.
Hope you figure it out!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2018 at 12:10 AM Last edited by Bairly829 : 9th Sep 2018 at 12:43 AM.
I looked up .dbc files in my recycling bin but nothing showed up. I have no clue why my game is still crashing. The last time my game crashed like this, it was because of a .index file in my SavedSims folder, though I ruled that out. If it helps, when I start my up my game, my screen goes black for about a minute and then crashes. (But that probably has no relevance)
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Apr 2020 at 3:52 PM
I am having the same problem, I accidentally deleted my userpresets file on my mom's XP computer, but I had my hair colours and some files exported to install on my own Windows 7 computer, so I was able to re-install them, but now the game is crashing randomly, I was in some of my old save files trying to restore some of my pre-sets like makeup colours and beds, and everything just shut down several times