Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 11:20 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default UC Game reading wrong directory
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I'm at a loss.

Game: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (Digi download, Origin)

Device/Operating System(?): Asus laptop, windows 8.1 64bit

Problem: Lordy, so if you've seen my last thread you know something funky is going on with my game. My game won't read or use the files in the correct/directory: C:\Users\Kararsim\Documents\EA\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. I know this because I've tested it, my CC won't show, settings reset after deleting the faulty directory, and my game will come up with errors saying (something along the line) "Can't find the directory for object *Character*. The game uses the directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\EA Games\The Simsâ„¢ 2 Ultimate Collection and uses that as its default. If I delete the public path it regenerates everything I have deleted when I run the game. When I delete the Users\documents path the files Don't regenerate after playing. The problem is that it's using a directory that won't let me run the game correctly.

Solutions tried: I uninstall the game and reinstalled it. I ran the game. It ran fine, so I turned it off and placed a custom hood in to see if it would show. I placed it in the Users\documents directory (This directory had worked before the catalyst ) when I loaded the game the custom hood wasn't there. When I loaded the game with the hood in the Public directory, it showed up. I uninstalled again, unsure if I set the wrong path myself, but it showed only the ProgramFiles directory.

The Catalyst(?): This started to rear its head when my laptop updated to 8.1 and I wasn't able to run the game thanks to the 'unspecified error'. Fixed that by doing THIS, then I noticed in my documents my EA folder was missing. I uninstalled it, it didn't show up, but the game was running. Y'all gave me the idea to search my computer for it. That's when I found all of the usual files in the public directory.

What should I do? My game runs. Again, I see those errors and I have to reset the object over and over. I'm worried about saves not saving and my game just ending up corrupted.

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I did post this on the EA Answers but I got nowhere fast. (And this format is just easier for me to read, sorry)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 11:44 PM
From what I understand, you only get problems with your game when you try to force it to run from the Documents directory, and works fine when running from the Public directory. If so, why is it a problem to let the game use the Public folder?

The UC may (or may not) have some troubles running on Win8 and Win10, so since the upgrade it's possible you have to do some fixes to make it compatible.

I'm guessing you've tried the usual problemsolving things like deleting cache files (all 2-4 of them), because they can often cause startup errors with TS2, and made sure your game is set to run correctly with your graphic card. Have you edited the GraphicRules or VideoCards files in any way? Have you applied the 4GB fix (if so, you shouldn't run the game in compatibility mode or as admin)? It's often needed for Win8 and above.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 11:50 PM
It shows errors in the game that halt my gameplay until I delete the object (which has been sims and other random things). But if it's not really a big deal, I can live with it. I'm tired of trying to fix it anyways lol
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2019 at 11:54 PM
Does this also happen if you have no CC at all? Could mean a faulty install, or an overachieving Antivirus program. The game shouldn't throw errors like that ingame unless there are faulty install files or conflicting hacks/mods.

Have you tinkered with the registry in any way?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 12:41 AM
Registry? No, I have no idea what that is. And yes, with or without mods errors still pop up. I don't think I have any conflicting mods (or none that I know of)
Scholar
#6 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 8:43 PM
the registry is system-wise (and also user-space in Windows7 and newer) database where the Windows stores its crucial data. Unfortunately with its infinite, ehm., wisdom MS decided to share this database with installed programs (the whole idea was problematic, but that, that is completely new level of "stupid").
Which leads to unavoidable mess of course, errors, slowdowns and eventually broken system.

It's possible that the installation is broken (because it's always possible). Try 'Repair' option in Origin, that should repair keys in the registry if some are broken or incomplete. The game itself does not understand multiuser concept at all, but should be contained in an actual user space %Documents%/$username/[etc]

Are you use the game with "as admin" option? This may be particular Win8.1 quirk. Also: add the game and its installation folder to the exceptions in antivirus.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jun 2019 at 3:50 AM
I just changed the compatibility to Windows 8 and now it's working just great? Thanks y'all! :lovestruc