Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 11:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default BODYSHOP: Black scalps when recolouring skin
I HAVE ULTIMATE COLLECTION

After a long time searching, I concluded that no Custom Content I could find was what I wanted, so I decided to open up bodyshop. I selected the create parts button and then skin tone. After selecting the S2 file I had everything extracted for me. Using Paint.net, I changed the hue slider of all the skin files, however when I refreshed, this happened...

I done this process for both a pastel-blue skin and a Lilac skin, and both times it went pear shaped.

Thank you in advance if this gets resolved, I'm a real fan of keeping everything in games matched, (no realistic skins for me) so when I wanted blue or purple skin people, most of them arent maxis match, or if they are, aren't the right tone.

Sorry again for taking the photos on my phone, my wireless adapter or my firewall on my laptop has gone crazy and for some reason the only sites I can get onto are google's.

Just Call me Square!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 11:36 PM
Have you tried taking out your downloads and try again?
Some downloads can interfere with making skins. Taking out all CC is the best way to figure out if that's the case.

(and you might want to try Printscreen for the picture issue)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 8:15 AM
Quote:
Sorry again for taking the photos on my phone, my wireless adapter or my firewall on my laptop has gone crazy and for some reason the only sites I can get onto are google's.

I guess I could take a print screen and move it over...

I have very little CC whatsoever, however I will do a rip-out for all of it, try this again, then place it back where I found it.

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 10:23 AM
Have you coloured all of the thingies because theres one for scalp too.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 11:08 AM
I have indeed, I'll grab a photo of that.

Also uninstalling all my CC (mostly hacks, hacked objects, plus one skin) done nothing.

It is a problem with all hair styles and all colours, I just done blonde, Bald to illustrate my point.

Just Call me Square!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 11:18 AM
Can you put your finished package file, the version from My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\SavedSims\ up somewhere that I can take a look at it? I'm curious why it's doing that, and while I have no idea how to stop your Body Shop doing that to your textures (which look fine to me), maybe I can tell you how to fix your finished files manually with SimPE, lacking a better solution?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 11:29 AM
Sure, I'll transfer it over to my old desktop and then upload it to mediafire, bear with.

Just Call me Square!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 11:43 AM
I once had a hair in my downloads that did the same, only with the male scalp. Every single hair would have an improperly textured scalp (the hair was improperly linked).

Have you tried taking out the files in SavedSims (except for the skin), if you have any? Doesn't hurt to check.

Also, does it only happen to this particular skin, or to the original skins as well?
retired moderator
#9 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 11:52 AM
Might also be worth renaming My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ to "The Sims 2 Backup" and then run Body Shop and try again to import your project, with the same textures you were using before. If it's -anything- in the user files (rather than the game's install) then that would narrow down the cause.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 12:31 PM
Only these skins, which I've made. I've got my dusty old XP desktop uploading both right now.

Also its also a problem in bodyshop. Ive done that solution for the sims 3 in order to sort out CAW before, so ill try that.

One thing I might add, is that when changing the hues, I've had a few files whose thumbnails remained the normal S2, until I refreshed.

Also this is a problem for both genders and from (maybe toddler too) Child-Elder, it doesn't just apply to ♀ Adult.

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 1:02 PM
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 10:18 PM

Done nothing. Here's the evidence presented before you.

Just Call me Square!
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Aug 2014 at 11:02 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 20th Aug 2014 at 11:26 PM.
Has anyone been able to get back to you with a solution?

If not, I was curious and checked them out. They still had the black scalp in my Bodyshop, so I doubt it's custom content causing this for you, since this hasn't happened to me. The roundabout solution I found was through SimPE. Do you have DDS Utilities installed and do you know how to use it to replace textures? Because replacing the scalp texture in SimPE with that fixed it for me.

This isn't a real fix though, since I have no clue why this happened to your skins in the first place. Hopefully HystericalParoxysm has had more success!
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 5:32 PM
So sorry for the slowness in replying - I derped and forgot.

I wish I knew why this was happening - it appears that the actual textures are just black. But as SleepyTabby mentioned, you can fix this in your finished files. Here's how:

1) Open your finished file from My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\SavedSims\ in SimPE 2) On the left, in the Resource Tree, click "Texture Image (TXTR)" so that you get a list of all your textures in the right pane.
3) Go through and find the black one(s).
4) Right-click on the image and choose Build DXT. If it's greyed out, you'll need to set up the Nvidia DDS Utilities properly - there's info and links on the SimPE site IIRC
5) Import your image (the correct scalp texture) as a DXT1, Levels should be set to 1, leave the rest of the settings alone. Click Build, then Commit.
6) Repeat for all black scalp textures in the file, and save.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 11:54 PM
Right thanks. I can finally create the people I've been waiting to create for a while.

I'm somewhat familiar with SimPe, so I'll give that a go

Related, is there a way to change a certain sim's skintone you've already made? I've got a skin which I used once and if I could I would delete from my downloads folder and use one of my customs, but I've got this one sim preventing me from doing so. :P

Just Call me Square!
Instructor
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 2:25 AM
You can change their skintone and DNA in general in SimPE. This tutorial at lothere.com was helpful to me.

By the way, loved the shades of blue and purple you chose. They're subtle (as in not as bright as others I've seen) but pretty.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 9:30 AM Last edited by squaretable : 22nd Aug 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Awh thanks a million!

I might submit them for upload (and of course everyone on this help thread is going to be in the special thanks section) - Watch this Space.

Another quick question, I don't know which scalp textures to use, they're all very slightly different and I don't wish to use the wrong ones

Ignore, I was being dumb.

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 11:54 AM
It worked, but not seamlessly.

This is only a problem with the blue skin (which I had to recreate because I for some stupid reason overwrote the scalp, and when I put in the same Hue/sat/bright settings it was off) and Purple Elders (but to a lesser extent than the blue skin, in fact its acceptable, you can't really notice it from the distance)

I'm now messing with the sliders to try and get the blue one back to shape.

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 3:33 PM
I've currently got a compromise on the blue between elders and adults, that looks great on both, and only slightly more noticeable than maxis! :D

Just Call me Square!
Instructor
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 4:11 PM
Glad you're getting it to work! Sorry you don't get to preview it Bodyshop as you're making it, but it sounds like you're doing well.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 8:16 AM
They're all done now, and I've managed to get IE (of all my browsers) to work at last. Time to do some submitting - Tomorrow. :P

Just Call me Square!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Apr 2018 at 11:16 AM
Sorry for reviving this really old thread, but it's the first result on Google so I think I can be of use to some people, as I just ran into this problem and solved it. When editing skins in paint.net DO NOT save the BMP as "auto-detect" bit depth, but rather save it in 24-bit. Solves all of the issues.