Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 2:54 AM
Default How do I build or remodel apartments and get it to let Sims rent a room?
I can't get my game to let my Sims move in to apartment buildings I built or rent EA game made Apartments I expanded / remodeled and made bigger.
so what am I not doing that I should do?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 2:59 AM
To designate a lot as an apartment, you need to change the zoning... it needs to be set using the cheats "changelotzoning apartmentbase" - have you done that with your designs/remodels?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 3:22 AM
Apartments also have exacting building rules, if you break any it may not turn into an apartment or will tell you there is an invalid apartment. Can your sims move into an apartment right from the bin that has not been modified in anyway? If not you have a mod problem, if yes your other apartments have a build issue.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 4:22 AM
Somewhere around here there is a tutorial on building apartments. I suggest you play in a Maxis one for awhile because it will inspire you and you'll start out knowing some basic layout mistakes that you hate.

You can also find apartments for download here at MTS. But use a Maxis one to be sure you have the functionality - you don't want to be troubleshooting a new apartment build and troubleshooting a glitch at the same time.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
To designate a lot as an apartment, you need to change the zoning... it needs to be set using the cheats "changelotzoning apartmentbase" - have you done that with your designs/remodels?

yes that's been done stock EA apartments lots played fine with my Sims people. I moved my Sims out.then I changed lot zone blow out some walls to bump room in size 2 to 4 tile rows bigger. than room was then reset lot zone back to changeLotZoning apartmentsbase now they cant rent that same room/apartments building. they just rented before the remodel.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Apartments also have exacting building rules, if you break any it may not turn into an apartment or will tell you there is an invalid apartment. Can your sims move into an apartment right from the bin that has not been modified in anyway? If not you have a mod problem, if yes your other apartments have a build issue.
it did not flash a read me box saying I have a build issue. and yes sims have moved in to apartments before but those were Stock EA game made ones. the ones I build from a vacant lot no dice sims can't move in / rent.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:28 PM
Can you post screenshots of your apartments that are running into this trouble? Oftentimes that'll show what the problem is, if it's anything having to do with the architecture of the lot.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:42 PM
I have played the game for well over a couple year now with stock EA made apartments . that was getting old. so I built my own and remodeled a couple in game ones. but I can't get my sims to rent the remodeled rooms only the other rooms I did not touch on that apartment lot. all I did was tack a wall down move it back 2 to 4 tile rows back from were it was. so there would be more space/room in the apartment.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 5:43 PM
Can you post screenshots of your apartments that are running into this trouble? Oftentimes that'll show what the problem is, if it's anything having to do with the architecture of the lot.

OK I will get some screen shots from in game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 7:50 PM

Forum Resident
#11 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 7:59 PM
The balcony with the apartment door looks to have a white door on it as well - if those are both going into the same apartment that could be your problem. Apartments can only have one access from the common area of the lot, and the balcony with the stairs would be common area.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 8:23 PM
Looks like you might actually have the problem stitching refers to on both sides of the lot, actually... both sides look like they have non-apartment doors that would lead into the apartment. Try deleting those white doors/arches and see if it works right then.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 9:21 PM
Looks like you might actually have the problem stitching refers to on both sides of the lot, actually... both sides look like they have non-apartment doors that would lead into the apartment. Try deleting those white doors/arches and see if it works right then.

I tried that first it did not work. so I converted the top floors in to a rec-room none AKA none rentable room with no door just a arch way to inter. like a full enclosed patio.. only floors 1 and 2 have doors you can click and rent. but only 3 are allowed to be rented. left floor 2 apartment and the 2 on ground floor. but the on on right floor level 2 cant be clicked and rented.

recroom

this ones rentable secant floor

not rentable secant floor

rentable ground floor
Link Ninja
#14 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 9:39 PM
You're non-rentable second floor apartment needs to have that extra white door removed. Like they said above, an apartment can have only one door leading to a common area (the balcony that connects with the ground).

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Apr 2016 at 9:39 PM
That second floor can't be rented because it has two doors leading into it. If you fence off the patio with a fence between the apartment door and the non-apartment door, then the patio can be the apartment's private patio. If you take away the non-apartment door, the patio will all be common area. Right now the code is going "WTF? How'm I supposed to read this?"

Everything behind an apartment door must be surrounded by walls or fences in order to be perceived as an apartment. The only way in and out of the space must be the apartment door.

By the way, floorplan shots are much easier to read for these purposes.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 2:49 AM
thank you I put that black and glass fence back. to close off that space on the right secant floor. now the last apartment can be rented.the hole lot works grate thanks.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 3:28 AM
Yeah, the two things you have to remember, basically, are change the zoning to apartment base, and only ONE entryway per apartment. Back doors are fine provided you have a fence or something--if you have a side-by-side duplex, put a fence all around the lot and a fence between the units, in the backyard.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Apr 2016 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Yeah, the two things you have to remember, basically, are change the zoning to apartment base, and only ONE entryway per apartment. Back doors are fine provided you have a fence or something--if you have a side-by-side duplex, put a fence all around the lot and a fence between the units, in the backyard.

OK thanks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Apr 2016 at 6:01 PM
Thank you now they all seem to work!