Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2016 at 4:16 PM
Default Really weird apartment-error!
Hi!

Lately I have been building a lot of apartments in my neighborhood, and usually I get it right. This time though, I have run in to a problem which I cant seem to solve and I need help before my head explodes!

I built a row house with four separate apartments. When I tried to convert them into apartments, I got the error message saying there is an invalid lot. No biggie. I tried to find out which apartment was the invalid one by removing the apartment doors one at the time. On my first try, it worked. Couldn't seem to find any fault with the apartment though. There's no additional door, the garden is enclosed, the doormat was on the right side.. Blabla. So I tried putting the door back, and removing the door to the apartment next to the first one. That was fine too - the first apartment mysteriously worked all of a sudden. Oh joy! But when I put back the second door, I got the error message again.

So it seems that separately, both apartments works just fine. But I cant get both to work at the same time. I've checked so there's no doors between the apartments, both gardens are enclosed etc. I just cant figure it out and it drives me slightly crazy. I would really appreciate help!
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 14th May 2016 at 4:25 PM
Can you post pics? I want to look into what you mean when you say the garden is 'enclosed' does this mean the garden is in the front or the back of the house?

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#3 Old 14th May 2016 at 4:52 PM
Are they on foundations? Foundations can confuse the apartment coding.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#4 Old 14th May 2016 at 6:17 PM
Quote:
Can you post pics? I want to look into what you mean when you say the garden is 'enclosed' does this mean the garden is in the front or the back of the house?

@toove:

Also, does each apartment have its own garden, or do they share the same garden?
If they each have their own 'patio door' into the same garden, for example, then THAT would be your issue.
Instructor
#5 Old 14th May 2016 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Are they on foundations? Foundations can confuse the apartment coding.

In a rowhouse apartment on a foundation, you can have door which leads to a back porch or balcony. However you can't have any back stairs that lead into a yard. For example...

Even if the gardens are separated into two distinct areas, it still won't work.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th May 2016 at 10:25 PM
This tutorial may be useful.
Theorist
#7 Old 14th May 2016 at 10:27 PM
I'm not an apartment expert, but do have a suggestion. Extend the porch area using foundation in the back yard areas, then add railings to enclose both sides separate from each other. Don't add stairs to the back area. It also looks as though your front porch is only 1 tile from the front towards the sidewalk, this is going to cause a routing problem which can't be fixed without moving sims out, changing lot zoning to fix it.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th May 2016 at 10:36 PM
I've seen this problem before. The apartment coding gets confused by the stairs leading to the backyard. Try what Duine said above. Alternatively you can take out the foundation and have it flat. I hope this makes sense.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 14th May 2016 at 10:45 PM
We still haven't seen a picture of Toove's apartment. Gremlily was showing an example of a common error, which may or may not be the one Toove has. We won't know till she posts again.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th May 2016 at 11:54 PM
@toove please post clear close up pictures, otherwise we are just guessing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th May 2016 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I've seen this problem before. The apartment coding gets confused by the stairs leading to the backyard. Try what Duine said above. Alternatively you can take out the foundation and have it flat. I hope this makes sense.

Whoops. I'm tired.
Theorist
#12 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:29 AM
Edit, I posted my comment while looking at Gremily's pictures, thought they were OP's. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 15th May 2016 at 1:34 AM
lol! well, then i edited mine too.

I build appartements all the time, and got tricked with this more than once!
I ended up having 2 choices :
1- build my building ON the ground, and everyone has a real backyard..if they live on the ground floor.
or..
2- building on a foundation, but having a community area backyard.

re edit..:
ME TOO! wt....
Ok, so cancel everything..OP posted NO pics yet.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#14 Old 15th May 2016 at 3:02 AM
Whooooops.

Sorry for the confusion...heheh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 9:28 AM
Hi guys! I'm so sorry, I've taken some time of from sims, so I totally forgot about this post :/ And you all been so kind to try to help - again sorry.

Actually, I've made a lot o rowhouses with separate gardens (even on foundations), so it works. Just not this once. I just gave up on this particular lot, but I'm having the same problem again with another. This time I'm trying to convert a house I've downloaded, something I've done many times and never had any problems with. But this time it's the same problem - I get the error-message, try to remove one door at the time and - once more - all my units works just fine but two of them just wont work at the same time! It's two identical apartments, just next to each other, so I just cant see what the problem is. This time, there is no garden, no balconies, nothing.... It's all just really frustrating!

Next time I play, I will try to take pictures to show you - if anyone is still reading this post
Thanks again for trying to help and sorry for not answering!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 10:41 AM
Ok, now I'll seem like a total idiot here, but how do I attach files? Cause when I choose to insert image, it wants me to write a text? And further down, under the headline "attach files", it just says there is no attached files :/
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 5th Sep 2016 at 11:23 AM
If you go to 'Advanced' when replying and scroll down you should see a section called Manage Attachments - you upload the image there.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#18 Old 7th Sep 2016 at 6:45 PM
Looks like just a glitch to me, if it happens just delete the lot and start a fresh one, the layout you made should work fine because it's seperated off on both apartnemtns, i see nothing that could cause this so totally a game glitch, they happen all the time on my game even when i don't use the Boolprop cheat no more i've learned to just use what i've got from the game, a little bit of custom content but evey now and then 1 glitch fixes it's self then another pops up in it's place, right now i'm having a glitch with sinks where a sim washes a plate and the sink just keeps running but even after i tell them to wash thir hands and the sink goes down i can still hear the sound of the sink running even when it's not lol it fixes for a while when i go in and out though, i don't know why these things happen but they do *zhrugs* i guess because the game involves so much that something is bound to glitch.